View Poll Results: Who should the Raptors not Draft?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Andre Drummond

    27 40.30%
  • Thomas Robinson

    9 13.43%
  • Perry Jones III

    16 23.88%
  • Harrison Barnes

    7 10.45%
  • John Henson

    28 41.79%
  • Tyler Zeller

    28 41.79%
  • Terrence Jones

    4 5.97%
  • Jared Sullinger

    32 47.76%
  • Jeremy Lamb

    12 17.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: Who should the Raptors not Draft?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Who should the Raptors not Draft?

    When JV was picked last year it seemed like the world was coming to an end. Which draft pick would you be the most upset with if the Raptors drafted him and why? Assume the Raptors have a pick in the top 10.
    Last edited by planetmars; Fri Apr 13th, 2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added a poll.

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,863
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    drummond, sullinger, jones3

    drummond i see bust potential

    sullinger 2 different sized legs

    jones3 coulda shoulda woulda put it together

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    drummond, sullinger, jones3

    drummond i see bust potential

    sullinger 2 different sized legs

    jones3 coulda shoulda woulda put it together
    +1

    I'm also not sold on Thomas Robinson or Terrence Jones however both of those guys would be distant 4 and 5 to the above three.

    I based my selections on top 10 at ESPN. I don't see the Raptors picking outside the top 8 at worst.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm going with Drummond and Zeller. Drummond because I see a big time bust there, and Zeller because we already have JV and I think it would be a waste since he wouldn't get much development time in (which he would need).

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,745
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Drummond, Sullinger and Lamb.

    Drummond because he looks like a bust(hasheem thabeet)

    Sullinger 2 different sized legs and he doesn't have the length or quickness to be able to guard taller faster PF's(someone like Bargnani would eat him alive on offense)

    Lamb because i didn't see anything special out of him this year which was suppose to be his breakout year.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I don't think we should go near any of the PFs, excluding Davis of course.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
    I don't think we should go near any of the PFs, excluding Davis of course.
    I'll 2nd that motion.

    .

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    MKG
    Sullinger (Corliss Williamson 2.0)
    T. Robinson

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    MKG
    Sullinger (Corliss Williamson 2.0)
    T. Robinson
    interesting.... do explain...

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star WJF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    1,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    MKG
    Sullinger (Corliss Williamson 2.0)
    T. Robinson
    Sullinger is no way similar to Williamson. Sullinger has legit NBA power forward size, Williamson was a 6'7" tweener. That being said, Williamson did win an NBA title with Detroit and was also a 6th man of the year winner. He had a decent, not spectacular 11 season NBA career.

  11. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RapthoseLeafs wrote: View Post
    I'll 2nd that motion.

    .
    3rd it.

    Actually, we should be looking at this the other way around. If we can't draft MKG, Beal or Davis, we should be looking maybe to move the pick. thoughts?

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    3rd it.

    Actually, we should be looking at this the other way around. If we can't draft MKG, Beal or Davis, we should be looking maybe to move the pick. thoughts?
    I wouldn't be opposed. I'd be looking for an established player still with considerable upside (*cough* Jrue Holiday *cough*) and a lower pick in return. That may or may not be realistic as I am not a GM.

  13. #13
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    3rd it.

    Actually, we should be looking at this the other way around. If we can't draft MKG, Beal or Davis, we should be looking maybe to move the pick. thoughts?
    Pure speculation, but I expect BC would be happy with Barnes as well. He's a good shooter, fairly athletic, decent defender and seems to have a decent basketball IQ, which gives a coach like Casey quite a bit to work with. If BC can't get Davis, MKG, Beal or Barnes, then I expect he will be exploring trade options, be it up, down or out of the draft. To me, those are the only 4 players that seem to address a need (not so much Davis, but you obviously can't pass him up), fit type of player that BC/DC have talked about adding and would fit BC's "hit the ground running" mentality. The other bigs in the draft don't address a team need and the other wings in the draft all seem to be high risk/reward type gambles or projects, so I just can't fathom BC drafting them.

    If the Raptors finish 5th from the bottom, they are guaranteed a top-8 draft pick. In addition to the 4 players I think BC is likely targeting, Robinson and Drummond should also be top-8 for sure. Statistically speaking, that gives BC pretty good odds for being able to get one of those 4 players (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes), meaning there's a strong liklihood of the Raptors just keeping their pick.

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    499
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Pure speculation, but I expect BC would be happy with Barnes as well. He's a good shooter, fairly athletic, decent defender and seems to have a decent basketball IQ, which gives a coach like Casey quite a bit to work with. If BC can't get Davis, MKG, Beal or Barnes, then I expect he will be exploring trade options, be it up, down or out of the draft. To me, those are the only 4 players that seem to address a need (not so much Davis, but you obviously can't pass him up), fit type of player that BC/DC have talked about adding and would fit BC's "hit the ground running" mentality. The other bigs in the draft don't address a team need and the other wings in the draft all seem to be high risk/reward type gambles or projects, so I just can't fathom BC drafting them.

    If the Raptors finish 5th from the bottom, they are guaranteed a top-8 draft pick. In addition to the 4 players I think BC is likely targeting, Robinson and Drummond should also be top-8 for sure. Statistically speaking, that gives BC pretty good odds for being able to get one of those 4 players (Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes), meaning there's a strong liklihood of the Raptors just keeping their pick
    .
    You are right, but I think that decision on whether or not we should take the chance on Barnes is the key to this draft. Unless he works out really well for some teams, it is likely that we will get a chance to pick him, and I am just not crazy about the idea. It has to do with the current makeup of our team. We don't have successful veterans on our team who can teach him about what it takes to be a winner in the league. He has a motivational and work ethic problem, and there are so many talented kids just like him who come in to the league every year just like him that don't amount to anything. I give Casey a lot of credit, but at the same time, my gut tells me that if he is not playing on a winning team with a bunch of vets, he won't be useful on our team.

    We could, on the other hand, trade him to a bunch of teams who would take the chance and get some decent talent back (i.e. Matt's Jrue Holiday idea, maybe Kyle Lowry, Nic Batum, etc.)

  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,752
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yay! I get to be the first to say how worried I am about Harrison Barnes. Now, don't get me wrong, there's no doubt he should be at least a decent NBA player, but I've never seen a player look so stagnant for his college career, and fail to step up 2 years in a row on a stage smaller than the one he's about to jump to. Maybe his personality and game are better suited to the NBA, or maybe he doesn't have the head or motor to take his game up a notch.
    In a year of looking for real impact players, I have been much much more impressed with MKG and Bradley Beal. If we can't take one of those 2, I might take Barnes as a consolation prize, but reluctantly. We might be too high to take one of the PGs(who all seem to have glaring weaknesses this year), so maybe swapping picks is an option? And other than Davis, we wouldn't need any of the other high-rated bigs, although I think Casey might fall in love with Robinson. Anyway, I know a lot of people are going to come to Barnes' defense because he's been on the radar for years, since high school, but I really like the other 2 guys' games more and think they would fit into our team better. If we end up in the top 5, maybe 6, we'll probably get a choice between at least 2 of them, and I would rather we don't take Barnes given a choice, is basically what I'm saying.
    I'd like to add that as most people, I love MKG, and I think adding him and Jonas to a slightly more mature, committed team next year would really cement the culture change. From everything I've seen of both of them, they really care about winning and really love the game. I think they both have the kind of mental makeup we've lacked in our core players for the entire history of our franchise, where the closest have been core role players like Oak, Alvin, AD and JYD. This is my worry with Barnes, that he hasn't shown the kind of hunger and passion you want from someone you would want to be one of your stars.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    188
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yay! I get to be the first to say how worried I am about Harrison Barnes.
    +1

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,957
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm going to guess because MKG's a wing who can't create his own shot.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'd be pretty upset if we ended up with Jeremy Lamb. Jonas is a great sign that I should trust people who know better than I do, but in a draft where there are options for such great pieces - Lamb seems very average.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  19. #19
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Didn't Zeller pull out?

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,373
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Didn't Zeller pull out?
    Tyler Zeller the senior from NC will be in the draft. His brother Cody Zeller from Indiana is going back to college.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •