Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article that sums up my feelings about the Raps and (some) Raptor fans

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...hable-nba-game

Detroit didn't overpay badly in these deals, but what was the team hoping to accomplish? To lock up the core of a team that when healthy can compete for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs?
    Detroit fans are real. They saw their team win a championship eight years ago and play in Game 7 of the NBA Finals a year after that. They see this Pistons team, with its decent young core and guys like Prince and Bynum and Maxiell, who all seem like they could succeed in more limited roles, and they wonder: What if we could land a bona fide star? Unfortunately, this line of wishful thinking tumbles swiftly into delusion
    This is what I think we're building too: A team with assets that need to improve just to get us into a playoff spot. Supported by fans who wear raptor-rose coloured glasses and overvalue the talent that we have.

And yeah, I read an article about a Bobcats-Pistons game, so I accept that I deserve no respect : )

Have you considered cheering for a new team or visiting anti-fan forums?

Comment

This offseason will clarify the direction of this team. I don't think you're the only who is nervous about Colangelo and his plans but, as a certified fire-Colangelo guy, I am resigned to waiting and seeing what happens from June-August. If they can add an elite perimeter prospect to play with Valancunias and another elite young talent, we can hopefully avoid the treadmill team fate.

Comment

we aren't overvaluing shit. It seems you are undervaluing this team. If you don't like the raptors go jump on the miami heat bandwagon.

Comment

More time to respond now.

Why the Raptors are not the Pistons*:

1) The Raptors have one top 5 pick coming next year (JV) and hopefully another one on the way.
          2) The Raptors do not have $40M PER SEASON tied up in Ben Gordon, Rodney Stuckey, Tayshaun Prince, Charlie V, and Jonas Jerebko over the NEXT 3 YEARS and $50M over the next 2 years if you include Richard Hamilton (who plays for Chicago!) and Jason Maxiell to the aforementioned list of players.
          3) The Raptors are not $8M over the salary cap before this off season even starts and are not already at the salary cap for 2013-14.
          4) The Raptors have $12M in cap space to use before July 1st and a $7.6 TPE for trades.
          5) The Raptors have anywhere from $10-20M to use on free agency should no trades be made before July 1st.

In summary, the Raptors are not the Pistons because they have flexibility whereas the Pistons have very little to none.

*I attempted to remove the rose-coloured glasses but I recognize I might have failed.

Comment

"Watching the Bobcats play is kind of like prying open a manhole to look in on the NBA's sewer and see what kind of scum is floating around."

Ouch.

Has anyone said anything close to that about the Raps I wonder. I hope our forums dont come across quite as delusional (there maybe a couple) as the Pistons one. My fear is that if this off season is not negotiated deftly and successfully talent wise then the Pistons shall be our fate. They have certainly locked themselves in with not much wiggle room. The writer certainly didnt think much of either Biyombo or Walker two favorites here prior to the draft last year (I admit I was a Kemba fan).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Have you considered cheering for a new team or visiting anti-fan forums?
              You know Matt, not everyone accepts failure and lingers on hope.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Focus on the plan

The man has all the assets and flexibility in place to have a great Q3. We all need to seriously think about what we all feel is a realistic outcome should Colangelo make all the right moves this summer. It seems we have three groups in here. Those who trash every move. Those who overvalue most moves and the players on roster and then those in the middle who occasionally fall into either category. We shouldn't be expecting a historical Celtics recovery from earlier last decade but we should have firm expectations in Colangelo sticking to the plan he laid out when he was lucky enough to get extended. He needs to live up to what he promised, not to what we expect. Judgement from the board won't be influence based on what we expect in here. He's going to get judged by them based on what he promised to deliver and the results that follow. We need to keep that in mind if somebody is inbound who we don't personally appreciate. We need to step back and ask if it fits what the stated plan is. If so then maybe we need to take one more step back and let things develop and see how it goes...

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  we aren't overvaluing shit. It seems you are undervaluing this team. If you don't like the raptors go jump on the miami heat bandwagon.
                  Before getting outraged. I recommendTaking a second and consider what this guy is saying and why he might feel that way.

Be more Bruce Banner and less Incredible Hulk. More Bixby, Less Ferigno.

I know you won't understand that last reference. But, that's why Wikipedia was formed.
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

The Raptors have two players that could start on more than half of the teams in the league in Jose and Bargnani. Maybe DeRozan as well. Next year they get JV who will be a solid starter before the year is out and another one who will be in the upper half of centers in the league. They have enough cap space and that they could land two more solid pieces or one All star type player. They will be picking in the top six in the draft and will land another solid player who could be starting in his second year. Three players coming in over the next year who will likely be starter, which means moving some current starter to the bench. That would leave them with a half decent bench as well. Their bench players have performed unevenly this year but in at least a dozen games have outperformed the starting 5. Their depth will be that much better in 2012-2013.

I don't think ther eis anything to worry about, and everything to look forward to. And they still have a 8.7% (estimated) chance to land Davis. :-)

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      You know Matt, not everyone accepts failure and lingers on hope.
                      Watch some games and you'll see success and reason for optimism.

Comment

I have expectations for a much more competitive Raptors team for next season. I have faith in Dwayne Casey, not so much in Bryan Colangelo.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Watch some games and you'll see success and reason for optimism.
                          There are small succeses in overall failure.

Not saying their shouldn't be optimism... for the future.But, in the now, How are you going to sell me as to why I should watch one of the remaining games?

Without preaching to me about the futute. Sell me on a game. You have my word that if you convince me I will watch one of the remaining games in it's entirety.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                            I have expectations for a much more competitive Raptors team for next season. I have faith in Dwayne Casey, not so much in Bryan Colangelo.
                            Colangelo has two executive of the year awards.

Casey has a losing record and not so good track record as head coach.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                              Before getting outraged. I recommendTaking a second and consider what this guy is saying and why he might feel that way.

Be more Bruce Banner and less Incredible Hulk. More Bixby, Less Ferigno.

I know you won't understand that last reference. But, that's why Wikipedia was formed.
                              Sorry I just hate fans like that who bash every move the raps make. Like seriously if you do not have faith in the team just leave, no one is forcing you to watch. That statement can go for you too

Comment

Working...
                              X