Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can the Raptors make the playoffs next year?

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can the Raptors make the playoffs next year?

Based on an 82 game schedule this year Toronto Raptors team should have been a 30 win team.

Consider all the injuries to key players such as Bargnani and Bayless as well as not having the preseason for Coach Casey to implement his system its not out of the relam of possibility that their win projection would have been closer to 35 in a full season.

Now we all know in the East all you have to get near .500 in order to get to the playoffs which is anohter 6-7 wins.

So if we were to add JV, a possible draft pick in the top 10 (unless it gets traded) and a few minor trades + minor signings is there a possibility the Raptors could sneak into the playoffs next season?!

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is possible, every season there's a chance of it, though next season it's higher than even two recent seasons summed up together. Casey does a good job, he's not perfect but he's good as a mentor, a leader of men. Current roster is also far from outstanding. But we see good progress recently, and sky's the limit. Let's see what Casey can do in few months.

July will also be a cornerstone moment for Raps, or not.

Raptors Republic Rookie 10 000 Hours's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's entirely possible and I would think that to Colangelo, making the playoffs is a must if he wants to keep his job.

If they can side-step the injury bug, I'm sure they'll compete for one of the 8 spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote 10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I think it's entirely possible and I would think that to Colangelo, making the playoffs is a must if he wants to keep his job.

If they can side-step the injury bug, I'm sure they'll compete for one of the 8 spots.
    +1
    Thats exactly what i was going to say

Post Thanks / Like

I usually like to do a bit of a list to say what teams are locks, likely and what teams are fringe, then determine who we can beat out.

Locks:
    Chicago Easy Pick
    Miami Easy Pick
    Indiana On the rise

Likely
    Orlando Needs a Healthy Dwight
    Atlanta Providing they don't blow the team up
    New York Full season with new coach and healthy roster.
    Boston Does any of the Old 3 retire/leave?

Fringe:
    Philadelphia Will be a playoff team this year, will need a tweak to make a jump up
    Toronto Will be adding nice pieces and will have a full training camp with a solid coach
    Cleavland Showed signs early this year, Irving makes this team legit next year.
    Milwaukee Needs to address their "bigs" situation, has some decent players.

So, with 3 locks and 4 likely, that leaves one spot to fight for. Now that's not to say that one of the likely teams falls flat and misses the playoffs opening up 2 spots to fight for. Do we just take control and become a 45 win team next year? I will wait and pass judgement when I see what the roster is going to look like in October.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

They would have made it this year if bargs played all year.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything is possible. I can't answer this until I see what happens in the summer.. Both for this club and other clubs.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no doubt in my mind that the Raps can make the playoffs, but injuries are going to be a huge problem. It seems that BC made all the stars sort of align for next year. The Draft, JV, Cap space, Dwane Casey, and Bargs peaking. Injuries could ruin all of that.

I was thinking about this a lot, I think the Raptors need to be the deepest team in the league. Sign Anderson, sign Uzoh, and consider bringing back Weems (if the situation is right and we know where we stand with Forbes). We need to be able to play a big rotation to keep guys from getting injured. Andrea can not play big minutes like he did through this year. Neither can Jose. Those are key guys, and if we are going to get to the playoffs, we need them healthy.

We know we are getting great talent, we know we are going to have a solid coach. The injuries need to be avoided.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I question whether we may have even made the playoffs THIS year, without the injuries. So, if the talented pieces we add this offseason can get into an NBA groove within the first month or two - we'll be in the conversation late in the season.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Anything is possible. I can't answer this until I see what happens in the summer.. Both for this club and other clubs.
    That sums it up.

This is a great question to ask in August when all significant moves for the upcoming season are done.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That sums it up.

This is a great question to ask in August when all significant moves for the upcoming season are done.
    I think, to enhance the drama and anticipation, we should ask it again after each major significant move. That gives everyone extended opportunities to mock everyone else's opinions and guesses/predictions. That would maximize the RR's comments board overall utility. :-)

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think A full summer will really help the conditioning for all of our players. Also Alex mckechnie will have all summer to work with all the players to help them stay more healthy to avoid injuries. But i agree we should try to make our team as deep as possible to make it to the playoffs. Sign Anderson and Uzoh as 3rd stringers and if forbes doesn't show anything trade/waive him and resign weems or barbosa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That sums it up.

Yeah, right now it's like asking someone if they're going to need their tires realigned next April when they won't even have purchased the car for another three months time...

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with dubious timing of this very good question. Much has yet to be done. If BC decides to go completely young/rooks/inexperienced with his trades by way of draft pick acquisition then it would be doubtful making the playoffs. We'll have to deal with the potential. If there are a couple of good-v.good experienced players added then I see a distinct possibilty of course with the caveat of injuries. The major reason for the optimism is obvious...Casey has proven himself on many levels and I believe that JV in the middle will be ......(I dont want to jinx him!). And....goodbye pro-tanking for a very long time no matter.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the roster next season is as close as to what they currently have plus JV, the draft pick and a solid FA, a full training camp and full practices, no doubt they'll make the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't personally expect them to make playoffs next year in fear of disappointment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors have a very rough start. I mean right now, the team has great chemistry with each other and next season, we are adding at least two more new players onto the team (two of which is new to the NBA environment), so that might have an effect on team chemistry. So I don't personally expect us to make it too far in the Eastern Conference. Probably fighting for the 8th or maybe 7th spot. However, I do expect them to make playoff next next season, but that's getting off track.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    I think, to enhance the drama and anticipation, we should ask it again after each major significant move. That gives everyone extended opportunities to mock everyone else's opinions and guesses/predictions. That would maximize the RR's comments board overall utility. :-)
    I'm really starting to like the way you think.

Even, if that was half sarcastic.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We will be propelled by JV's ROY season into the playoffs, count on it!

Post Thanks / Like

In addition to what some are saying regarding injuries playing a factor in the Raptors making the playoffs next year, you have to consider that they (like the other 29 teams) had to play in a compact schedule with nights that have been back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back. I think with a regular 82 game season spaced out normally, the team's injury woes should be less of a factor. Therefore giving the Raptors a better chance to make a playoff push (of course, with the right pieces in place).
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that if Casey can keep the team as focused as he did this year, then we'll find away into the playoffs, although we'd have to have an outstanding season to get the 6-7 seed. I just keep thinking that Casey this year reminds me of how Adleman had the rockets playing for 2-3 years without t-mac or Yao, not a lot of talent, but able to be .500. The difference of course is that .500 in the East gets you in, whereas Adleman's teams were always on the outside (If I remember correctly)

I'm not going to say that this is a lock, because off season moves, by us and others, as mentioned above can really change how I would predict outcomes.

BUT right now I would put the raps chances of finishing 8th at a healthy 72.629666666666% chance of making the playoffs, plus or minus 3%.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information