Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Unlikely/Not commonly mentioned signings that could be a good idea...

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Barbo and AP.
    Seems like everybody likes Fields but i dont think NYK will let him go, but would be good to have here. Hardworking, no ego, soild pro.

What about Beno?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a long shot.. but why not throw money at Ray Allen? He would never sign with us and would be expensive (probably at least $7/8M to get him here).. however the guy can play. And he'd be fine coming off the bench. He'd be an upgrade over Butler for sure

Doesn't really make much sense on a rebuilding team, and Ray Allen I'm sure would be wanting to play for a contender like Chicago or LA. Just a guy that I'd love to see on the Raps.

Also one name you don't hear much of is KG. Heck Casey coached him and so that might interest him. But if you want to change your culture bring KG on board for a year. That'll do it. Again I really doubt he'd be interested and even if he was it would be costly. Also doesn't make sense for us to bring in a PF when we have that position filled already. But I could almost see Bryan making a call out to his agent. He is a Casey type of guy. Perfect veteran that the Raps could use for a year or two even though his knees are about to give out any day and we are a long shot at best to getting into the playoffs.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Shuttlesworth would be the perfect guy to teach DeRozan how to move without the ball.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Shuttlesworth would be the perfect guy to teach DeRozan how to move without the ball.
    really like watching him play but the way he sits on the bench and chews his gum bothers me. good signing though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Here is a long shot.. but why not throw money at Ray Allen? He would never sign with us and would be expensive (probably at least $7/8M to get him here).. however the guy can play. And he'd be fine coming off the bench. He'd be an upgrade over Butler for sure

Doesn't really make much sense on a rebuilding team, and Ray Allen I'm sure would be wanting to play for a contender like Chicago or LA. Just a guy that I'd love to see on the Raps.

Also one name you don't hear much of is KG. Heck Casey coached him and so that might interest him. But if you want to change your culture bring KG on board for a year. That'll do it. Again I really doubt he'd be interested and even if he was it would be costly. Also doesn't make sense for us to bring in a PF when we have that position filled already. But I could almost see Bryan making a call out to his agent. He is a Casey type of guy. Perfect veteran that the Raps could use for a year or two even though his knees are about to give out any day and we are a long shot at best to getting into the playoffs.
    I maybe wrong on this assessment but heck ill post it anyways, hehehe.

I dont think the Raptors will have success with Allen. I think at this stage in his career, he's turned into a screen-shooter, and by that i mean you have to give him a good pick to free himself to get his shot off. And dont get me wrong, that shot is deadly, but the Raps dont have enough good offensive players for Allen not to be targeted defensively. I dont think he's quick or crafty enough anymore to create his own shot, and he definitely needs very good players around him to be good himself.

KG on the other hand, would be awesome. He can still play inside, rebound and can hit the midrange consistently. and his drive/tenacity is relentless which hopefully will rub off on the younger players. his vocal nature will be very fitting with the raps who are a bunch of too nice guys. The only thing im unsure of is how to work him in the rotation. Does he become a backup? or make Bargnani the backup? or make Jonas the backup? I wouldnt mind giving him 7-8mil though.

Post Thanks / Like

Further to your point on Allen, he's not too happy about losing minutes to Avery Bradley. I don't imagine he'd be thrilled about backing up DeRozan on an unproven team in Toronto.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I would add via restricted free agency: Landry Fields.

Via trade: Wesley Matthews.
    There were rumours that Matthews was available around the trade deadline. The following certainly calls that in to question. But then again, the NBA is a business (that should be their new motto, it is said enough):

Matthews Will Play Summer League: Wesley Matthews has been in the NBA for three seasons and hes set to earn $6,505,320 next year. He has averaged 13.5 points and 3.3 rebounds this season, solidifying himself as a key contributor for the Portland Trail Blazers. However, that wont stop the 25-year-old from competing in the Las Vegas Summer League this offseason.

Im playing, Matthews told Jason Quick of The Oregonian. Im playing. Dead serious.

Im thinking Ive got to get better, Matthews added. The summertime is where we can be selfish. I challenge everyone to work as hard as I do this summer. If we all do that, we will be a helluva team next year when we get back together.

Matthews informed his agent, Lance Young, of his decision on Wednesday.

He said he wants to play in two or three games, practices just be around the team, Young said. I said all right. Hes going to be playing pick-up games anyway.

Sometimes players returning from injury will play in Las Vegas to test themselves in game conditions, but its rare to see a veteran sign up just to further his development. The Blazers love it and acting general manager Chad Buchanan praised Matthews for his extraordinary work ethic.

Thats not a surprise, Buchanan said. Wes is striving to get better all the time. I love it. In the history of the NBA, I cant imagine too many guys of his stature requesting to play in Summer League. That tells you a lot about him.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-wil...nd-steph-curry

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for signing any of the big 3. They seem like they'd be good for leadership. Also sign Allen and let him start over Derozan. Derozan hasn't earned anything, make him prove that he should start sitting behind allen.

Post Thanks / Like

paul Pierce still has a nice jump shot. But, he's as slow as molases.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    I'm all for signing any of the big 3. They seem like they'd be good for leadership. Also sign Allen and let him start over Derozan. Derozan hasn't earned anything, make him prove that he should start sitting behind allen.
    If we bring in Allen with the intentions of starting him, I would have no problem moving DeRozan for another piece. A 4th year shooting guard "project" shouldn't be in our vocabularies.

Raptors Republic Starter draftedraptor's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If we bring in Allen with the intentions of starting him, I would have no problem moving DeRozan for another piece. A 4th year shooting guard "project" shouldn't be in our vocabularies.
    Ray would start ahead of Demar if we bring him in next season. Ray's game is already on the decline and I wouldn't be surprised if Demar took minutes off him coming from bench. Demar is turning 23. He cannot be a 'project' anymore. However he still has a lot of upside. averaging 17PPG. only just below Andrea who is gonna be 27. I have to ask why should we retain bargnani over him given his age and contract? Bring in someone like eric gordon and we can be rid of demar with no regrets.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see him still as a project IMO. He's taken steps forward and has proven the ability to score and be an offensive threat. His defense is what'll separate him from an NBA scorer/solid pro to an all-star player. Consistency as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I don't see him still as a project IMO. He's taken steps forward and has proven the ability to score and be an offensive threat. His defense is what'll separate him from an NBA scorer/solid pro to an all-star player. Consistency as well.
    I agree. give him a full camp under Casey and if he still doesnt adapt, trade him mid-season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    paul Pierce still has a nice jump shot. But, he's as slow as molases.
    hahaha true. but he still manages to average 20/5/5. it boggles the mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    hahaha true. but he still manages to average 20/5/5. it boggles the mind.
    Well, it's the "truth."

He's just a magnificently skilled individual. He's so crafty, very good at everything on both ends of the floor, and at his age, he's underrated IMO. He finally got his conditioning right and now Boston is top 4 in the East. Too me I see them in the Eastern conference finals vs. Bulls/Heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not underrated, he's just took a backseat because of miami and chicago on the rise. They'll be back in the headlines come playoff time.

underappreciated or underrated, is san antonio's big three. They have been talked less about more than boston, for longer and they can just plain get it done.

Even have a better record than boston. Heck, they give their main guys so much rest and work in their bench players so good. They aren't going to be crap for a long time.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not underrated, he's just took a backseat because of miami and chicago on the rise. They'll be back in the headlines come playoff time.

underappreciated or underrated, is san antonio's big three. They have been talked less about more than boston, for longer and they can just plain get it done.

Even have a better record than boston. Heck, they give their main guys so much rest and work in their bench players so good. They aren't going to be crap for a long time.
    san antonios' program should be our goal. that place is run so well.

for pierce. he has been underrated his whole career or in the shadows. rookie year lost to vc and didn't even get as much recognition as white chocolate. played on a losing boston team and never quit. i think he wanted out once but not sure, it might have been the team looking to trade him, i can't remember. then they load up and all of pierce was put on display. a great player.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe underrated isn't the word I'm looking for...

Agreed, with all the experience the young guys are going to get, and the fact that the big San Antonio three still have much left in the tank, at some point it's going to translate into a ring again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information