April 16 - Atlanta Hawks (Deja Vu?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• April 16 - Atlanta Hawks (Deja Vu?)

The Atlanta Hawks have a favorable schedule to try to push for home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs, but did themselves no favors against the Toronto Raptors.

These teams complete a home-and-home set Monday night as the Hawks play their final road game and try to avenge a stunning loss to the Raptors.

Atlanta fell 102-86 at home to Toronto on Sunday, trailing by as many as 24 points and by double digits for almost the entire fourth quarter. The Hawks had won six straight matchups in the series.

"Very flat," Hawks coach Larry Drew said. "The energy level was very low."

Atlanta (35-25) fell into a tie for fifth place in the Eastern Conference with Orlando, three games behind Indiana in the race for the No. 3 seed. The Hawks, who close the regular season with five home games, and the Magic are one-half game behind Atlantic Division leader Boston.

"I think this is a game we need to think about," guard Willie Green said. "We're supposed to be getting prepared for a playoff run. It was a letdown tonight on our part."

It was a particularly dreadful night for Joe Johnson, who made 2 of 12 shots for seven points, failing to score in double figures for the first time in 24 games. Johnson averages 18.6 points.

"Give Toronto credit," he told the league's official website. "They were better than us tonight. If we come out and start like that (Monday), they'll be better than us. We'll see."

The result was particularly surprising since Toronto (22-39) played without Andrea Bargnani (calf) and guard Jerryd Bayless (oblique), who are both out for the season. Point guard Jose Calderon also was out, and he's day to day with an eye injury.

Instead, the Raptors used three players on 10-day contracts to support DeMar DeRozan, who had a team-high 23 points. One of those players, Alan Anderson, had 16.

"Guys are just playing the right way, playing together, playing with a purpose," coach Dwane Casey said. "You've got guys who don't want to go down without a fight."

Toronto shot 55.4 percent for its second-best mark of the season. Casey also employed a zone defense at times that helped force the Hawks into missing 17 of 22 3-pointers.

"It's a changeup and it's kind of disguised," the coach said. "We see sometimes that teams don't know whether it's a man-to-man or if it's zone. It helps. You can't win a championship with it but it's a good thing to have in our pocket."

Ben Uzoh and rookie Justin Dentmon added 10 points each. The 10-day contracts of Anderson, Uzoh and Dentmon will expire Monday, giving them one more day to impress the Raptors.

"Coach keeps saying, 'Make the extra pass; share the ball.' We're passing up good shots for great shots," Anderson said. "Everybody wants to stay in the NBA."

Josh Smith led Atlanta with 26 points, and Green and Ivan Johnson chipped in with 14 apiece.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=320416028
    Do you think Atlanta underestimates or comes in to this game looking like they continuously hit the snooze button on the afternoon nap?

Give Joe Johnson credit for giving the Raptors credit - especially considering the sh!t game he had. One thing the NBA could use more of is humility.

Playing the right way is playing Dwane Casey's way. I hope James Johnson realizes that sooner than later.

Anderson just realized the secret to a D-Leaguer staying in the NBA - play within your limits and the parameters of the team - do that and you'll stick around.... if not in Toronto, then somewhere in one of the other 28 NBA cities.

I just hope that Alan doesn't go to another team next season, and pull a Sundiata Gaines on us.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

I think Atlanta is just better at tanking than the Raptors. They want Indi instead of Boston in the 1st round ;-)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Do you think Atlanta underestimates or comes in to this game looking like they continuously hit the snooze button on the afternoon nap?

Give Joe Johnson credit for giving the Raptors credit - especially considering the sh!t game he had. One thing the NBA could use more of is humility.

Playing the right way is playing Dwane Casey's way. I hope James Johnson realizes that sooner than later.

Anderson just realized the secret to a D-Leaguer staying in the NBA - play within your limits and the parameters of the team - do that and you'll stick around.... if not in Toronto, then somewhere in one of the other 28 NBA cities.
        Has it been verified that it was a spat between JJ & Casey because of his play?

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I think Atlanta is just better at tanking than the Raptors. They want Indi instead of Boston in the 1st round ;-)
          Tank vs Tank

Let the tanking begin! Again!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            Has it been verified that it was a spat between JJ & Casey because of his play?
            The rumour was he wanted more of a role and he pushed a bit too hard in practice in making his opinion known. Casey reminded him who was boss.

Only the rumour but I believe it to be true - like that means anything, haha.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              This.

Joe Johnson was just waaaaay too passive, it was weird. Outside of that one scrub who was starting for some reason, it didn't seem anyone was even trying.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I've always wondered what the compensation is for players playing in the playoffs, that the payoff might not be that considerable for someone already making $20 million per season like Joe Johnson. He's probably good at golf, too.

Comment

I think it is quite a positive that little else has been said except that it (JJ benching) would be handled in house. It appears that it has and that was certainly the proper place for it

Comment

Demar has a better handle than I thought...
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

For those worried about the Raps being defiant to Tank Nation - Solomon Alabi just checked in during the 1st quarter.

Comment

T Mac is getting fat. He's also been using either laser surgery or that rubbing lotion to get rid of his tattoos.

Comment

Alabi getting minutes. Alabi getting boards. Alabi almost scoring.

incredible stuff.

Comment

HOLY SHIT! Tell me ya'll saw that James Johnson slam, and that Ed Davis swat. Great back-to-back plays. Really enjoying this game tonight.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

This is actually just awesome to watch. Never mind the fact we winning, just seeing Ed nd Solo working tandem froward so well is great

Comment

Working...
                              X