Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Raptors make the playoffs next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't personally expect them to make playoffs next year in fear of disappointment, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Raptors have a very rough start. I mean right now, the team has great chemistry with each other and next season, we are adding at least two more new players onto the team (two of which is new to the NBA environment), so that might have an effect on team chemistry. So I don't personally expect us to make it too far in the Eastern Conference. Probably fighting for the 8th or maybe 7th spot. However, I do expect them to make playoff next next season, but that's getting off track.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
      I think, to enhance the drama and anticipation, we should ask it again after each major significant move. That gives everyone extended opportunities to mock everyone else's opinions and guesses/predictions. That would maximize the RR's comments board overall utility. :-)
      I'm really starting to like the way you think.

Even, if that was half sarcastic.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

We will be propelled by JV's ROY season into the playoffs, count on it!
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

In addition to what some are saying regarding injuries playing a factor in the Raptors making the playoffs next year, you have to consider that they (like the other 29 teams) had to play in a compact schedule with nights that have been back-to-back and back-to-back-to-back. I think with a regular 82 game season spaced out normally, the team's injury woes should be less of a factor. Therefore giving the Raptors a better chance to make a playoff push (of course, with the right pieces in place).
          #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

I think that if Casey can keep the team as focused as he did this year, then we'll find away into the playoffs, although we'd have to have an outstanding season to get the 6-7 seed. I just keep thinking that Casey this year reminds me of how Adleman had the rockets playing for 2-3 years without t-mac or Yao, not a lot of talent, but able to be .500. The difference of course is that .500 in the East gets you in, whereas Adleman's teams were always on the outside (If I remember correctly)

I'm not going to say that this is a lock, because off season moves, by us and others, as mentioned above can really change how I would predict outcomes.

BUT right now I would put the raps chances of finishing 8th at a healthy 72.629666666666% chance of making the playoffs, plus or minus 3%.
            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think that if Casey can keep the team as focused as he did this year, then we'll find away into the playoffs, although we'd have to have an outstanding season to get the 6-7 seed. I just keep thinking that Casey this year reminds me of how Adleman had the rockets playing for 2-3 years without t-mac or Yao, not a lot of talent, but able to be .500. The difference of course is that .500 in the East gets you in, whereas Adleman's teams were always on the outside (If I remember correctly)

I'm not going to say that this is a lock, because off season moves, by us and others, as mentioned above can really change how I would predict outcomes.

BUT right now I would put the raps chances of finishing 8th at a healthy 72.629666666666% chance of making the playoffs, plus or minus 3%.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                ...plus or minus 3%.
                Shouldn't that be plus or minus 2.79%?

Leaving aside their offense, I wonder how much improvement in points against the Raptors can make next year? Is it reasonable to expect them to hold opponents to 93.5? And considering offence, how much can they expect to improve with a talent injection, and hopefully a season more conducive to continued health for AB, JB, JC and LK? Move a point less for opponents, and a couple of points better for themselves and that could represent a big swing.

Of course, you could also argue, maybe the improvement defensively was partially because AB was on the bench for so many games :-)

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Shouldn't that be plus or minus 2.79%?

Interestingly enough the calculations for +/- came in at exactly 3%, or 3.00% if you like the decimals. And I would never and random decimals just to make it seem like I knew what I was talking about.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                    I usually like to do a bit of a list to say what teams are locks, likely and what teams are fringe, then determine who we can beat out.

Locks:
                    Chicago Easy Pick
                    Miami Easy Pick
                    Indiana On the rise

Likely
                    Orlando Needs a Healthy Dwight
                    Atlanta Providing they don't blow the team up
                    New York Full season with new coach and healthy roster.
                    Boston Does any of the Old 3 retire/leave?

Fringe:
                    Philadelphia Will be a playoff team this year, will need a tweak to make a jump up
                    Toronto Will be adding nice pieces and will have a full training camp with a solid coach
                    Cleavland Showed signs early this year, Irving makes this team legit next year.
                    Milwaukee Needs to address their "bigs" situation, has some decent players.

So, with 3 locks and 4 likely, that leaves one spot to fight for. Now that's not to say that one of the likely teams falls flat and misses the playoffs opening up 2 spots to fight for. Do we just take control and become a 45 win team next year? I will wait and pass judgement when I see what the roster is going to look like in October.
                    I think that this is a pretty decent analysis, although I think that Orlando and Boston will be much worse next year, same with ATL.

The main reason why I think that we will be in the mix is because of our overall point differential. Assuming that Bargs can play at the same level he was at the beginning of the year, and JV is a good player his first year, I think that we are only a few good decisions in crunch time away from winning those 6 or 7 games. I will never forget the back to back wins this year in Phoenix and Utah which historically were write-offs. Especially the game in Utah, when you see how tough they are to beat at home. These were extremely significant wins because they were different. They showed something.

I think that this year, as opposed to historically, whether or not we could execute on offense down the stretch mattered just as much as the strength of the opponent.

If we can just simply assume that we can play at that level consistently, and stay healthy, we are good enough to beat teams in the 9th or 8th spot without adding anyone new. This doesn't mean I don't agree that we badly need to upgrade the talent at every position, it just means that this team showed that they can compete.

Now, let's see what can happen in the offseason, but because of Casey, I am expecting improvement next year from the core guys who we have now, if we do end up keeping them.

Comment

i agree, orlando and boston are on the downfall and Atlanta had been mediocre for half a decade now. We have a solid chance to make the playoffs next year

Comment

There's a lot of bad basketball teams in the Eastern Conference right now, most of them being years away from being competitive. So yes, it is very possible. Free agency is more important than the 2012 draft towards the goal of making the playoffs next spring.
                        Last edited by stretch; Thu Apr 19, 2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X