Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Anderson

Nice read:

MIAMI - If you push and push and push, eventually, Alan Anderson will admit he is having a decent time in the NBA.

“I feel good. I feel good here with the guys,” the Toronto Raptors' swingman said while stretching on the floor of the Miami Heat's practice facility on Thursday. “I feel good here with the coaching staff. Everybody, we get along. Our chemistry, it feels like I've been here all year.

“I haven't had anything that makes me feel like they don't want me back or anything like that. But like I said, you never know.”

That is as far as Anderson will let himself go. It does not matter that he has started the last nine games, and figures to start the Raptors' final three. It does not matter that he has earned head coach Dwane Casey's trust and reverence, supplanting James Johnson in the starting unit.

He, like everyone else, is a product of his own experience. And his life has been a nomadic one. From Italy to Russia to Croatia to Israel to the D-League to Spain to China and back to the D-League, Anderson has not been in the same place for more than a year since he spent two seasons with the Bobcats in Charlotte, from 2005-07.

But it is possible he might have found a landing spot in Toronto.

“With Alan, what you see is what you get,” Casey said Wednesday. “He's a dirt worker, the kind of guy who is going to do it through grind and grit every night. We need that. We've got to have that going forward, the type of player that is mentally tough. You've still got to have potential.

“You still have got to have great upside. But to get to the playoffs, to get to the money, you've got to have that grind and grit, with skill. That's what Alan Anderson is.”

Anderson signed a 10-day contract with Toronto on March 26. He received another one 10 days later, and was signed for the rest of the season on Monday. He has scored in double digits for the undermanned Raptors in the last six games, hitting 13 three-pointers over that span.

Casey admires him for his reliability; parsing the coach's words, it is easy to see Casey would like Anderson back next year if general manager Bryan Colangelo can bring him back for a reasonable price. Yet, Anderson, surrounded by admiration, remains reticent to start looking for a permanent residence in the city.

“Earlier, (when I was) younger, I did, I thought about where I was going to play next year, where I was going to be, things like that,” Anderson said.

“Now, it's like, man, I'm just happy to be here. I'm doing everything I can to help out that day, that game. I'm just doing it. I'm not even worried about the next year.”

Anderson's averages of 9.1 points and 3.0 rebounds per game on 44 per cent shooting are nothing special. But, likely due to his experience, he has been comfortable with the Raptors, adapting to Casey very well. He said that the D-League has plenty of players just as talented but, because he is 29, he was able to latch on to Casey's defensive schemes quickly.

Still, Anderson has had moments that have exposed him as a relative newbie in the league.

“When I got the starting position (on April 4), it was shocking, for the most part. I didn't suspect it at all,” Anderson said. “They didn't even tell me until I got to film. (The coaches) were like, ‘Alan, you're starting on (Andre) Iguodala.' I was like, ‘Dude, does he know my name is Alan?'

“It felt good. I thought it was like a one-time thing. . . . The next game, I came in, we had practice, and I was in the white second-team jerseys. And (Casey) was like, ‘Timeout. Who's on the (starting) five? Who's on the five? Alan!' I was like, ‘I'm starting again?' I was like, ‘All right.' I've been on black since then.”

In the near future, he could be in the green, too.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/Alan+An...#ixzz1sb59La3Q
    I don't think he should be brought back with any greater expectation than to be a 3rd string wing on a minimum contract. Maybe to sweeten the appeal for him you make it guaranteed for the year?

Strong character guys who work hard in practice and can step in when called upon are worth more than their contract in the NBA. If the Raptors are relying on him for more than that next season, I think it will be another painful year.

I rather bring back Sonny Weems.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
      We need a starter. And Sonny is not good enough to be a starter.

I expect JJ to leave next season after the incident with Casey.

Alan would be happy to stay with us as a 3rd choice behind Kleiza.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
        Sonny is still relatively young and looking to get paid.

I don't know if he would be happy with a minimum contract and a third string role. Actually, I don't know AA so I can't say for certain he would be happy either but I think he would be more content given his professional playing history.

Personally, I would want the least amount of drama possible with the role either player would fill - so give me Anderson.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post

I think otherwise, James Johnson is under contract for 2.8 mil next year, and he is a decent defender and versatile player. I think Casey is setting the tone now to some players on what it is going to take to be successful in 2012/13. James has responded and has been playing well the last few games. His last 3 games he has shot that ball extremely well, over 64% from the field, going 20/31. He has put up 17 ppg with decent rebounds, assists and steals. I think he responded well being in teh doghouse and is showing why he is intriguing moving forward.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
            I think otherwise, James Johnson is under contract for 2.8 mil next year, and he is a decent defender and versatile player. I think Casey is setting the tone now to some players on what it is going to take to be successful in 2012/13. James has responded and has been playing well the last few games. His last 3 games he has shot that ball extremely well, over 64% from the field, going 20/31. He has put up 17 ppg with decent rebounds, assists and steals. I think he responded well being in teh doghouse and is showing why he is intriguing moving forward.
            I am a big fan. I would have him here over Kleiza/Anderson if we had a starter who can shoot 3s. The talent is there but I suspect the reason he is seeing extended minutes is not to evaluate him but to make him attractive in a trade.

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
              I think coming off the bench is the best thing for JJ at this time. He needs to understand his role moving forward. Better to have him having a hissy fit at the end of this season than at the start of next. Maybe that was where the difference in opinion with Casey came from: Casey said you're coming off the bench and JJ didn't like it. Toronto will continue to have serious issues in the W/L column if he is starting next year.

However if he accepts his role as a versatile 3/4 off the bench, he could have a very nice career and get a very nice contract in the process. He should look at Boris Diaw to see what a guy who is talented, versatile, and willing to accept his role can achieve in the NBA.

Comment

draftedraptor wrote: View Post

We will most likely target a SF in the draft.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  ...I don't think he should be brought back with any greater expectation than to be a 3rd string wing on a minimum contract. Maybe to sweeten the appeal for him you make it guaranteed for the year?

Strong character guys who work hard in practice and can step in when called upon are worth more than their contract in the NBA....
                  I'm with you on this one. Emphasis on character guy who can step in when called upon. I can't think of a game yet where he has been a disappointment. a bit much to expect him to carry the load when two starters are out, but coming off the bench, or for hitting open looks when the opponents double team, I believe he will be a great acquisition for the money. If the Raps can get him on a low dollar contract, sign him for two. I think this is a guy who will not start to coast.

Comment

JJ's played extremely well off the bench the last few games
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think Anderson basically can fit in where we hoped Butler would when we signed him. Despite his lack of NBA experience, he usually plays in control, and doesn't try to do too much. i think he thus would fit in nicely as a depth player who you know you can rely on in the event of injuries, foul trouble or just when you sit young guys for playing stupid.

I see no upside to bringing Sonny back. Maybe he's actually improved. Maybe he would jsut be more or less the same player if he came back. Been there, done that, need an UPGRADE at the wing.

Comment

Oh, and I think JJ is way better than Weems all around. Better D. Better handle. Higher potential.

Comment

I love James Johnson, but Alan Anderson is WAY better than Rasual Butler and can take that role on our team.
                          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

I'd resign him in a heartbeat.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If Alan is resigned and we either draft Barnes or Beal then JJ is traded. Simple as that, he cannot coexist with Barnes starting or DeMar moving to 3 and drafting Beal.
                              Kleiza is crucial for Val to adjust to NBA, to fast foreword his adjustment, so we can make the playoffs.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X