Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Damian Lillard an Option if we Fall

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    So my opinion is that I'm not sold on him because he played against inferior competition. For me, that plays a major role in deciding if this guy is right for us. You want to have a guy who has played against solid competition - or else his skills and numbers seem somewhat skewed. In regards to Westbrook, he put up some decent numbers as a sophmore and garnered PAC-10 DPOY. As for Holiday, he only played 1 season at UCLA, and his point guard skills weren't put up on display because UCLA used Darren Collison at the 1.
    My opinion on Lillard could change when workouts transpire (but I doubt it). You're right that he's got good work ethic and that he can shoot - both things going for him, but we're not looking for a shoot-first PG.

You know how stongly opposed I am to having this team choosing Lillard? I would seriously consider following some other team if it happens. That goes for Perry Jones too.
    Did I miss a press conference when BryCo said "Were looking for the Pass-First point guard of the future"
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Did I miss a press conference when BryCo said "Were looking for the Pass-First point guard of the future"
    I'm sorry, you're right. Pass-first point guards have always been the hallmark of Bryan Colangelo teams. I surrender. You win.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Sun Apr 22nd, 2012 at 04:06 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, you're right. Pass-first point guards have always been the hallmark of Bryan Colangelo teams. I surrender. You win.
    He only traded for Nash and TJ ford. Calderon was already here and he over payed him. If he only wanted a Pass-First PG he would of never traded for JB
    @Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    He only traded for Nash and TJ ford. Calderon was already here and he over payed him. If he only wanted a Pass-First PG he would of never traded for JB
    Colangelo never traded for Nash. He traded Nash as part of a package for Jason Kidd. The only non-pass first point guard he had running his team was Stephon Marbury - and yet, he avergaed 8-9 assists per game - and he didn't last long - just 2 seasons.

I don't think brass would not pick up the QO on Bayless, just to select Lillard. It makes absoluely no sense. If brass parts ways with Bayless - which is a distinct possibility, they won't acquire someone who virtually has the same game.

Of course, that's just my take on it.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Lillard is not a bad consolation prize - looks like he could be an NBA starter at the PG, who can work an offense.

Missing out on that upper echelon of talent in this draft would hurt, but adding a young rotation piece is not a horrible outcome.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Lillard is not a bad consolation prize - looks like he could be an NBA starter at the PG, who can work an offense.

Missing out on that upper echelon of talent in this draft would hurt, but adding a young rotation piece is not a horrible outcome.

Assuming he is not another Charlie Jenkins or Reggie Jackson. I'm not convinced he is not. I could be wrong but I don't see the talent in him to warrant a top 10 pick. I would much rather trade the pick than draft Lillard in the top 10.

I wonder if it would be possible to trade down to get another piece and Lillard.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

We could fall down to the 8th pick. Lillard got NBA talent and he's not getting his due's because he played in a weaker conference and is 21 years old. Guys like Danny Granger and Kawhi Leonard were both from weaker conference and fell down in the draft because of the same reasons. I'd rather Lillard than PJ3, Sullinger or Henson.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DG88 wrote: View Post
    We could fall down to the 8th pick. Lillard got NBA talent and he's not getting his due's because he played in a weaker conference and is 21 years old. Guys like Danny Granger and Kawhi Leonard were both from weaker conference and fell down in the draft because of the same reasons. I'd rather Lillard than PJ3, Sullinger or Henson.
    I am not so sure that Marshall is not better value and prospect as a true PG.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Point Guard in the 2012 NBA Draft: Damian Lillard was projected as a second-round pick entering his junior season at Weber State. While his name was being mentioned in NBA circles, the 62 point guard still had a lot to prove. Now, after averaging 24.5 points and emerging as one of the best players in the nation, Lillard is projected as a lottery pick and considered the top point guard in this years draft.

I do feel like Im the best point guard in the draft class, Lillard told HOOPSWORLD. If Im not the best, I feel like Im just as good as anyone else. I just want to prove it now. I want to show people.

In college, Lillard was forced to carry the scoring load for Weber State. He averaged the second-most points in the country. However, in the NBA, Lillard will likely be more of a distributor.

I think my game will translate well to the NBA, Lillard said. I think Ill still be able to score the ball, especially since Ill have NBA-level players around me, but Ill be able to make the players around me better as well. I dont think I get enough credit for how I pass the ball because at Weber State I had to score a lot. Thats fine though. People will see what I can do at the next level.

Lillard cant wait to go through the pre-draft process and play against some of the best players in the country. Coming out of high school, Lillard was a two-star recruit and Weber State was the only school that offered him a scholarship. That has always motivated him and hes looking forward to matching up against the players who have been ranked ahead of him until now.

Ive always had a chip on my shoulder and going into the draft, its only going to get bigger, Lillard said. People are going to doubt me and Im ready for that. Im looking forward to shocking people when I can match up with the big-name guys. Im not afraid of anyone. Im ready to go out and prove myself.

Im really looking forward to it, Lillard said. Over the past six months, teams have come in and focused on shutting me down. Going against double teams and triple teams made everything a lot harder. Now, in these workouts and at the next level, I wont have an entire group of players focusing on me. Im looking forward to the workouts, going one-on-one or two-on-two. I think thats going to be make things a lot easier for me.

When asked to compare himself to a current NBA player, Lillard pauses for a moment before answering.

Jeff Teague, Lillard said. I would compare myself to Jeff Teague. I study film of Derrick Rose and Russell Westbrook, but I think when I get to the league, Ill be similar to Jeff Teague. Hes about the same size as me, he can shoot, hes a scoring point guard and hes athletic.

In the last six months, Lillard has proven himself and climbed draft boards as a result. He has solidified himself as a first round pick and now only one question remains. How much further will he climb?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-saturd...r-want-revenge
    If he is the next Jeff Teague just say no to Lillard.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If he is the next Jeff Teague just say no to Lillard.
    I can't say I am high on Lillard, but I think Jeff Teague made some nice strides this year as the starter in Atlanta. His minutes jumped up huge, but what I like is so did his fg%, from 43.8 to 47.6. Going forward Teague could be a very steady PG....not that I like him as a fit for Toronto, just that he could be a Jameer Nelson type for years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information