Damian Lillard an Option if we Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Well he is a big time scorer at the college level. But in the NBA, there is just more than scoring, that's why I don't have him ahead in my "mock"
    I just can't be a fan of another point guard that can't guard his position in a raptor uniform.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I dont know about PGs in this draft. I would rather go F/A on a PG and go long on one of the others in the draft who are better prospects at the wing. Terrence Ross might be available. I think he is a sleeper. Aggressive and has upside and size at the SF (he was a PF in college). If we draw blanks on a f/a we still have Jose or Bayless for another year.

Comment

Personally I don't think any one pg is clear ahead of any other excet for possibly statistically.

Best pure pg Marshall followed by Machadoo

Best scorer Damian Lillard followed by Teague IMO(hasn't shown this year, but the ability is there)

Best Defensive Tyshawn Taylor

Most upside Tony Wroten(even though he's a SG imo)

Biggest sleeper Tyshawn Taylor

Biggest question mark Scott Machadoo

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
          Personally I don't think any one pg is clear ahead of any other excet for possibly statistically.

Best pure pg Marshall followed by Machadoo

Best scorer Damian Lillard followed by Teague IMO(hasn't shown this year, but the ability is there)

Best Defensive Tyshawn Taylor

Most upside Tony Wroten(even though he's a SG imo)

Biggest sleeper Tyshawn Taylor

Biggest question mark Scott Machadoo
          For most upside if Wroten is a shooting guard, which I agree with as well... You can slot in Marquis Teague. He was a highly hyped player coming out of high-school, and had a fantastic game in the National Championship overall.

His potential to me is very high, and I believe he can be better than his brother..
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I wouldn't ind giving Tyshawn Taylor a go. I mean what is there to lose?

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't be angry if we dropped and drafted Marshall. Like you said, he's a pure point guard and has a special passing ability.
              Marshall can't shoot or get to the rim and has to pass the ball before the defence sets up. Why would a defence even bother to cover him? He passes the ball immediately because it's a hot potato with diminishing returns in his hands. With so few skills his options are limited! Not very impressed with passing point guards that can't shoot and have loads of talent around them to help make them look like they are making the right decisions. That said, he must have a high b-ball IQ because he usually gets the hot potato into the right hands.

Comment

If the Raptors were considering drafting Lillard, I'd rather see them trade the pick outright to Philly for Holiday.

Holiday is one month younger and NBA proven. He still has a long way to go to reach his potential.

Lillard reminds me of Charlie Jenkins and Reggie Jackson. Great college numbers but they were seniors as is Lillard (injury gave him a 2nd sophomore season). There doesn't seem to be anything that sets Lillard apart as a prospective top draft pick. In the year of no point guards, his value is artificially inflated.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  If the Raptors were considering drafting Lillard, I'd rather see them trade the pick outright to Philly for Holiday.

Holiday is one month younger and NBA proven. He still has a long way to go to reach his potential.

Lillard reminds me of Charlie Jenkins and Reggie Jackson. Great college numbers but they were seniors as is Lillard (injury gave him a 2nd sophomore season). There doesn't seem to be anything that sets Lillard apart as a prospective top draft pick. In the year of no point guards, his value is artificially inflated.
                  I really don't see why Philly would give up such a young talent though. I just don't see it, unless they want Lillard for some reason.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    I really don't see why Philly would give up such a young talent though. I just don't see it, unless they want Lillard for some reason.
                    Maybe they make another trade. Maybe the Raptors take Elton Brand in any deal. Maybe with cap space Philly addresses the PG in free agency (Dragic?). Maybe Philly is high on a player in the 6-9 range. Maybe Philly feels to reach full potential both Turner and Holiday need the ball in their hands and chooses to go with Turner.

I don't know why Philly would give him up either. While I think Holiday is a really good, defensive PG I don't see him as a Derrick Rose or Russell Westbrook.

The Sixers are built for mediocrity as currently assembled. You have to give a little to get a little. Holiday might be the piece they have to give to create financial flexibility and obtain more overall talent and depth.

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
                      Marshall can't shoot or get to the rim and has to pass the ball before the defence sets up. Why would a defence even bother to cover him? He passes the ball immediately because it's a hot potato with diminishing returns in his hands. With so few skills his options are limited! Not very impressed with passing point guards that can't shoot and have loads of talent around them to help make them look like they are making the right decisions. That said, he must have a high b-ball IQ because he usually gets the hot potato into the right hands.
                      His passing ability is incredible. It really is. That by itself makes him a huge asset. And if you watched him, didn't you notice him improving areas where people said he was weak? He was supposed to be a bad scorer w/an ugly shot, but he became a very good deep shooter by the end of the season. He also improved his ability to slash to the bucket and score for himself. Kendall strikes me as being the kind of player that will come back every season with a new skill. His athleticism is not so bad that he can't develop some defensive ability. I think he's well worth a late lotto pick.

Comment

bounty wrote: View Post
                        His passing ability is incredible. It really is. That by itself makes him a huge asset. And if you watched him, didn't you notice him improving areas where people said he was weak? He was supposed to be a bad scorer w/an ugly shot, but he became a very good deep shooter by the end of the season. He also improved his ability to slash to the bucket and score for himself. Kendall strikes me as being the kind of player that will come back every season with a new skill. His athleticism is not so bad that he can't develop some defensive ability. I think he's well worth a late lotto pick.
                        Good hot of the press info - means he will have to be covered on offence! Going by what's written about him, but the update definitely makes him a more valuable prospect!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Seconded...mostly about the trading part, although I'd also be more than happy with Holliday. Basically I'm not sold on either Lillard or Marshall. Now either one may be a player, but this is not a draft like most others recently that at least had 1 legit all-star PG prospect.
                          Trading straight up for Holliday, or another young PG (maybe Bledsoe? any other suggestions?), would be a great idea. I think both those 2 guys would fit Casey's system and are closer to real PGs than fake ones. Neither may be a star in the making, but I've seen them both run their teams effectively and play great D, and I'll take that.
                          The other option is using the pick in tandem with other assets if we drop...We have so many guys who could easily be gone depending on how the draft shapes up, and given the team's flexibility, we should know a lot early in the draft/FA period if they make a big splash. Guys like Ed, Amir, Linas, JJ, JB...Really just about anybody. I think they'll hang on to a fair amount of pieces from this year, but probably only Bargs is untouchable, and probably only to see if he comes back strong next year and fits next to Jonas.
                          Really I don't see how we could drop anyway. I think the lowest we could be slotted at is 8th(quickly looking at standings)...and that leaves the 10th pick as our worst case I think? Lillard looks like he might be a reach there. Marshall too. The top 3 wings will probably be gone (MKG, Beal, Barnes), and we don't want any of the bigs who'll be available, in all likelihood. I really don't see how BC keeps this pick if we drop, and we aren't surprisingly impressed by someone else in the workouts (maybe Rivers or Lamb jumps up the ladder a bit, who knows). I also have a hard time seeing SAC and NOH win their last 3 games each...so I think 5th slot might be our best case, which actually is not too bad, although it would be nice if one of those teams finishes strong(I also have no clue what happens with ties for lottery slots).

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            Right. And look at Lillard's competition. Lots of inferior competition. A lot will depend on his workouts, but as for right now, I'm not high on him like some of you are. Low assist totals coupled with not so impressive turnover rates in a very weak and unproven conference makes me not impressed. In my opinion, at this moment, he's not worth a top-10 pick and I don't believe he's an upgrade over Calderon or Bayless
                            There's been many players that have come from smaller schools with inferior competition that have done well in the NBA. Competition shouldn't be the deciding factor. He does have NBA talent which has bee the reason why a number of NBA scouts have come to watch him play. It's like people last year with Jonas, because they didn't know much about him and because he played in Europe people thought he wouldn't amount to anything special, because he played in an inferior league. Now everyone thinks he's our saviour. You don't make a judgement on a prospect based solely on his competition. You look at his physical attributes, his skill set and his mindset and you see if he possesses those qualities that would show in the NBA.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                              There's been many players that have come from smaller schools with inferior competition that have done well in the NBA. Competition shouldn't be the deciding factor. He does have NBA talent which has bee the reason why a number of NBA scouts have come to watch him play. It's like people last year with Jonas, because they didn't know much about him and because he played in Europe people thought he wouldn't amount to anything special, because he played in an inferior league. Now everyone thinks he's our saviour. You don't make a judgement on a prospect based solely on his competition. You look at his physical attributes, his skill set and his mindset and you see if he possesses those qualities that would show in the NBA.
                              +1

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                                Like I said in a previous post, a lot depends on how is workouts go. The kid put up some serious stats, unfortunately, his competition does play a part in deciding whether or not he should be in this team. The Valancuinas comparison you used is not a good one - Valanciunas played against men. He also got a chance to play against some of the best in the Euro league. Lillard plays against other kids in an unknown conference. He might as well have played in the CIS. I believe it plays a massive part in being a deciding factor. There's a difference playing in a tough conference like the ACC or Big East, playing against big time compeition and playing in the Big Sky Conference against Northern Arizona, Portland State, Eastern Washington, and the ever popular hotbed for producing bigtime NBA players, Idaho State. I'm sure there are countless guys in that conference that produce big numbers year end and year out that don't get mentioned as being lottery selections, and there's a reason why. I think Lillard will be a solid pro, maybe a Rodney Stuckey lite, but I believe we have better options on our team than Lillard.

Comment

Working...
                                X