Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Watch 2012: Colangelo hints Jose will not be amnestied (#46)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jose's place secure

Don’t hold your breath on the Raptors using the amnesty clause this season.

Certainly where Jose Calderon is concerned, you can pretty much forget about it.

Calderon, who has a year left and 10.561-million on his contract has been speculated in the past as a potential amnesty target.

The amnesty clause was included in the NBA collective bargaining agreement signed in December and allows teams a one-time only opportunity to get out from under their worst contracts.

The Knicks did it with Chauncey Billups and the Orlando Magic did it with the Gilbert Arenas deal. Toronto could use it to free up more cap space, but Colangelo sounds very reluctant to use it at all and even more reluctant to use it on Calderon’s final year.

“There is no promise or assurance there and I’d say based on the progress of Jose Calderon — he’s the one that everyone targets as that potential amnesty piece — I can share with you that there is tremendous value on this team for Jose Calderon within the coaching staff, within the management team, within the locker room,” Colangelo said. “All of our post-season meetings with the players led us to a clear conclusion that there’s a few leaders in that locker room and one of them is Jose Calderon. The players have a tremendous amount of respect for him.”
    Source: The Sun

Somebody in here was questioning Jose's leadership but they had no backup. Here's some more information counter to your point.

Comment

I don't think Colangelo wants to amnesty Calderon, but if a player becomes available (say Rudy Gay), who requires an extra $10 million in cap space to obtain, I bet Colangelo thinks long and hard about it.

Comment

Jay Bay can take over next season

Comment

Sure but that doesn't mean he would do a good job at it. I could take over next season but believe me, you don't want to see that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Sure but that doesn't mean he would do a good job at it. I could take over next season but believe me, you don't want to see that.
            I don't know Apollo, that avatar of yours shows an NBA ready body!
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Hey don't hate on Mr.Bigshot Bayless. He's the next Chauncey Billups, future starting pg

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                I don't know Apollo, that avatar of yours shows an NBA ready body!
                Don't tell anyone but I'm not Carl Weathers.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Don't tell anyone but I'm not Carl Weathers.
                  Ya,right.

What are you gonna tell me next that picture is from 35 years ago?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                    Hey don't hate on Mr.Bigshot Bayless. He's the next Chauncey Billups, future starting pg
                    Maybe...

But, not on this team.
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                      Maybe...

But, not on this team.
                      Yes on this team!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I don't think Colangelo wants to amnesty Calderon, but if a player becomes available (say Rudy Gay), who requires an extra $10 million in cap space to obtain, I bet Colangelo thinks long and hard about it.
                        Why amnesty a guy who is a valuable trade asset (that is, if the team chooses to move him)? It's not like Calderon has 3-4 years left on his contract.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          Why amnesty a guy who is a valuable trade asset (that is, if the team chooses to move him)? It's not like Calderon has 3-4 years left on his contract.
                          Is he a valuable asset? Considering all Barbosa fetched us was a 50th pick, how much more value could Calderon realistically net us?

And like I suggested, Colangelo only does it if he absolutely needs an extra $10 million in the here and now, to sign someone important.

Comment

Expiring contracts ARE valuable, IF you are willing to bring back a multi-yeared contract. In Barbosa's case Colangelo was doing him a favour.

Comment

Good point. There were probably better offers for Barbosa with salary commitments beyond next season (which goes against what Colangelo was looking for).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Is he a valuable asset? Considering all Barbosa fetched us was a 50th pick, how much more value could Calderon realistically net us?

And like I suggested, Colangelo only does it if he absolutely needs an extra $10 million in the here and now, to sign someone important.
                                I agree with Nilanka, just because i consider this season as a make-or-break for the Raps. I think they need to challenge this off-season head on, guns blazing and empty that clip till nothings left.

if they have to amnesty calderon for Gay, then so be it.

Comment

Working...
                                X