Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jose Watch 2012: Colangelo hints Jose will not be amnestied (#46)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Is he a valuable asset? Considering all Barbosa fetched us was a 50th pick, how much more value could Calderon realistically net us?

And like I suggested, Colangelo only does it if he absolutely needs an extra $10 million in the here and now, to sign someone important.
    Is Calderon a valuable asset? He's a PG - and one of the purest in the league with good size, good at the pick and roll, doesn't turn the ball over a lot, can hit an open shot, good basketball IQ and plays with a lot of passion.
    Barbosa was just an undersized 2 with a good motor and scoring punch. So yeah, there's a big difference between the two.

So if Colangelo amnesties Calderon, to sign someone - it'll only be for an all-star PG (williams). So in other words, it won't happen.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      I agree with Nilanka, just because i consider this season as a make-or-break for the Raps. I think they need to challenge this off-season head on, guns blazing and empty that clip till nothings left.

if they have to amnesty calderon for Gay, then so be it.
      It doesn't make much sense. Gay isn't a FA. Wouldn't Calderon be used as a part of a package going the other way to match up salaries. It doesn't matter anyways, because I can't imagine Gay being dealt to Toronto. That's pie in the sky thinking.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
        It doesn't make much sense. Gay isn't a FA. Wouldn't Calderon be used as a part of a package going the other way to match up salaries. It doesn't matter anyways, because I can't imagine Gay being dealt to Toronto. That's pie in the sky thinking.
        Most likely.

However, I am hoping for a 4-game sweep at the hands of the Clippers just to make some tough decisions go on in Memphis. They are going to be up against the luxury tax once their roster is rounded out and that does not include resigning Mayo or one or both of Speights/Arthur.

Comment

The one thing I don't want to have happen is that Colangelo/Stefanski don't trade for a guy like Gay or Iguodala and Raptors fans deem this off-season a failure.

Personally, I'd like to see a guy like Ilyasova join us and have him as our 3...and I;d like to see Jose stick around..and sign a contract extension at a much lower rate.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Ilysova. He's a great rebounder, but his offensive game is very robotic, and he can't create his own shot.

I'd much rather aim for a Batum or Wilson Chandler type. They're both better athletes in general.

Comment

I think its more like a metaphor, what im saying was if Calderon is to be amnestied in the hopes of signing a superstar, then so be it. Doesnt have to necessarily be Gay. But it would be good if it was Gay.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Ilysova. He's a great rebounder, but his offensive game is very robotic, and he can't create his own shot.

I'd much rather aim for a Batum or Wilson Chandler type. They're both better athletes in general.
                Same here. Id rather have Gay, a scorer, good defender and with clutch genes, which the Raps sorely lack and has been lacking of every since Vince left. I think we've all seen from this season how valuable a guy who can score in the final minutes of the game would be for the Raptors. Theyve lost too many close games because they dont have a go-to guy in the dying minutes, a closer. Gay definitely fits the bill. Batum would too as well.

Comment

I'd be fine with Ilyasova at the 3 if a guy like Beal was at the 2.

I don't think you can have Ilyasova and DeRozan as starting wings. Similar argument as DD and MKG or even DD and JJ for that matter.

Comment

Both Batum and Chandler are going to be difficult to obtain. Ilyasova might be a better fit for this team. He's tough, competes hard on D and in the grand scheme of things, he'll be cheaper without having to give up an asset from our side. You say he can't create his own shot, and yet he's avergaing 13 ppg all the while hitting 50% from the field, and 45% from 3.

Comment

Scoring does not equate to being able to create one's own shot.

Comment

Both Batum and Chandler are going to be difficult to obtain. Ilyasova might be a better fit for this team. He's tough, competes hard on D and in the grand scheme of things, he'll be cheaper without having to give up an asset from our side. You say he can't create his own shot, and yet he's avergaing 13 ppg all the while hitting 50% from the field, and 45% from 3.
                        And averaging 3.3 offensive rebounds per game..... put backs are great ways to create for yourself.

Dribble penetration is the issue, though. Like I said to Nilanka, you can't have DD and Ilyasova as your starting wings. To be honest, if I had to choose one my loyalty would not be to DeMar.

Comment

Scoring does not equate to being able to create one's own shot.
                          He's making his shots. It's not like he's shooting 42-43%. So yeah, I'll say that his high FG % is indicative of him not only being able to create his own shot, but making it as well.

Comment

He's making his shots. It's not like he's shooting 42-43%. So yeah, I'll say that his high FG % is indicative of him not only being able to create his own shot, but making it as well.
                            I respectfully disagree. One can shoot great percentages without possessing the one-on-one skills required to break a defender down, or to create space.

Comment

I respectfully disagree. One can shoot great percentages without possessing the one-on-one skills required to break a defender down, or to create space.
                              yup just like rip hamilton cept he isn't that bad at creating his own shot.

Comment

The one thing I don't want to have happen is that Colangelo/Stefanski don't trade for a guy like Gay or Iguodala and Raptors fans deem this off-season a failure.

Personally, I'd like to see a guy like Ilyasova join us and have him as our 3...and I;d like to see Jose stick around..and sign a contract extension at a much lower rate.
                                no thanks we need an athletic 3 that not only can shoot but also drive to the basket and be explosive. We want this team to be a contender not mediocre. Plus Ilyasova is more of a stretch 4, he isn't mobile and athletic enough to play the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X