Losing is a slippery slope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CT2010 wrote: View Post
    It's a sad commentary about your love of basketball or hometown support when a WIN leads to the erosion of a fanbase.
    Or just an ironic reality of professional sports, when a loss this season would ensure the greatest statistical probability of providing the most significant improvement for the team next season and beyond...

Comment

Personally, I'd love for Kleiza to brick another 3 at the buzzer (not on purpose, of course -- I don't think he has too much trouble bricking threes). If we can't have the win for risk of the pick, then we can at least have the illusion of it!

Seems to have been a trend this season anyways.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
        It's a sad commentary about your love of basketball or hometown support when a WIN leads to the erosion of a fanbase.
        +1

And this is not even idealism.
        One would expect every fan wants his/her team to fight hard and win every game even if they are labelled talentless underdogs.

Comment

There are definitely good points to take away from this season even with a loss to NJ. When players are healthy (Bargs, Calderon, Bayless) we can be in it with the top teams. We've sen improvement from our young players. We have found where we need improvement. Add JV and a high draft pick plus a couple FA's and we are definitely a playoff team.

Will winning against NJ ruin all of this? No. Will losing against NJ change any of this? No. Management will have a better chance of grabbing someone they want though. The longer you sit in the draft the more players you want come off the board.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            LBF? Is that you?

lol

I understand the frustration but where did finishing 3rd worst land the Raptors last year?

A bottom 3 record does not guarantee a top 3 pick.
            Hey!!...easy!!

How dare you accuse me of having two accounts, sir!

I bid you that french word!!!
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Almost forgot

# sarcasm
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

The thing is.. the raptors are a different team from the wolves. Under Casey, these guys have competed in far more games than the T-wolves even if their record doesnt show it. There is veteran leadership in the locker room that doesnt necessarily win games but keeps the bullshit to a minimum. Losing the last game of the season will not crush the drive of the players we have, most likely because the players who will decide the game probably wont even be back next year. We have nothing to gain from the win so just tack it onto a losing season and get the draft pick we need. If you want pride, you already got it in Boston and Atlanta so let NJ slide for strategic reasons.

Comment

+1!

Comment

winning the last game or not, we are in a better position to rise up next year. especially having miller declared for draft, i feel like we should win the last game to fall behind the lottery; so picking up miller would justify the pick. The kid is a legit baller! when a kid says he is the best and he aint cocky! thas some confidence right there.--- the last person to do that was Kobe Bryant who was picked 13th overall folks!
                    now go win that game vs NJ go raps go

Comment

The fan base will erode if the Raptors don't soon recover from the past four years of pathetic performances and not due to losing out on 20 ping pong balls by beating the Nets. If you're going to bail on the team because they won a game little significance then what the heck are you doing here? The fact is the diehard fans aren't going to waver over 2% and the rest are mostly only around in the good times and thus probably won't know or appreciate the meaning of 2%.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        With a loss on Thursday, I'm not worried at all about any of this stuff happening in Toronto. With Anderson, Uzoh and Alabi getting minutes, do we really care if we pull out a win? With these guys working their tails off, and likely not back next year, how much of that "winning attitude" will spill over to training camp 5 months from now?
                        Nilanka hit the nail on the head here. A losing attitude won't spill into the new year because there's just no one playing right now that is worth a damn for next season. There isn't a single person playing right now that isn't any more than an afterthought. The D-Leaguers (Uzoh, Anderson) and future burger flippers (Alabi) won't be on this team next year, and none of the other guys are starters. I'd be a lot more concerned about losing 12 of 13 games if Bargnani and Calderon were still around.

This is a bit like worrying that the Washington Generals are going to be affected somehow from constantly losing to the Globetrotters.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

I think the halftime score in ATL-BOS game last night was 34-28!!!

28 pts for the Celtics? I bet the scores tomorrow will be better.

Comment

Shouldnt this be in the "everything NBA" bucket?

Comment

your mom wrote: View Post
                              Shouldnt this be in the "everything NBA" bucket?
                              No. Read the first post and many of the subsequent post have been Raptor related. The conversation was meant to revolve around the Raptors.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                The fan base will erode if the Raptors don't soon recover from the past four years of pathetic performances and not due to losing out on 20 ping pong balls by beating the Nets. If you're going to bail on the team because they won a game little significance then what the heck are you doing here? The fact is the diehard fans aren't going to waver over 2% and the rest are mostly only around in the good times and thus probably won't know or appreciate the meaning of 2%.
                                I'm sticking around. But, i mean this shit of them constantly up and down. I mean this franchise can be described as inconsistent.

Really, the rebuild was started when bosh was drafted. But, we still sucked and it got to vince, he left. Yes, he was a douche and all that jazz. Then, it kind of regressed a few steps.

Then it was rejuvanated when bargs got drafted. It was never really followed through, we made the playoffs twice. Then, tried a last ditch effort over the next few years to try to keep bosh and remain in the playoffs.

It was just constantly ditched and was a clusterfuck for those years, which is why now when they have to do things the long proper way.

Alot of fans, just are fed up and aren't buying it. Or have already gone.

With all the shit that's happened over the last four years like you mentioned, it's good to have skepticism.

Comment

Working...
                                X