Big Summer for Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Summer for Ed Davis

After last year’s lockout wiped out summer league, the Raptors will be back in Las Vegas this July. Games will be played between July 13-22.

And Casey knows who the focus will be for the Raptors’ squad.

“It’s going to be Eddie Davis’s first summer league [where he is] the number one option,” Casey said. “His first year he had a summer league, and then he got hurt. This is a big summer for him as far as getting in the weight room, getting used to being the number one option in summer league.”

Davis is the only Raptor to have played in every game this year, but he has had a disappointing sophomore year, averaging just 6.0 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. The team could also include the Raptors’ first pick in this year’s draft and Valanciunas, if Lithuania fails to qualify for the Olympics in a qualifying tournament.

Casey also said the Raptors will invite their veterans to work out with the team.

Source: Eric Koreen, National Post

This assumes he is not traded on draft night or early July.

The fact that Casey is making plans for him is a good sign for Ed. Amir could just as easily be traded instead. Amir and Ed might offer the same return at this point.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      The fact that Casey is making plans for him is a good sign for Ed. Amir could just as easily be traded instead. Amir and Ed might offer the same return at this point.
      He talked about working on Amir's jumper this off season as well.

Honestly, I put little faith in to anything he says regarding players and the future. That is not a knock on DC, that is just smart business. Remember he was talking about no trades at the deadline? It could also be a function of the coach working with whatever the GM puts in front of him as well.

Comment

Regardless of who our 2012 pick is, I would feel more comfortable with Valanciunas being our "number 1 option" in Summer League.

Come to think of it, whether our pick is A.Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes, Robinson, Sullinger, or whoever, I would still want him to be higher on the offensive hierarchy than Ed.

Comment

i think the less pressure we put on big val, even summer league, the better. besides, i think he'll be playing internationally at the time anyways.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            He talked about working on Amir's jumper this off season as well.

Honestly, I put little faith in to anything he says regarding players and the future. That is not a knock on DC, that is just smart business. Remember he was talking about no trades at the deadline? It could also be a function of the coach working with whatever the GM puts in front of him as well.
            I think it's a fair assessment for the coach, since both players are under contract. It's up to the GM to trade them so, until he does, the coach has to prepare offseason plans for all contracted players. Obviously the coach and GM talk about potential personnel moves, but nothing is guaranteed and Casey strikes me as the type of coach who would be prepared regardless of the eventual personnel outcome.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Regardless of who our 2012 pick is, I would feel more comfortable with Valanciunas being our "number 1 option" in Summer League.

Come to think of it, whether our pick is A.Davis, MKG, Beal, Barnes, Robinson, Sullinger, or whoever, I would still want him to be higher on the offensive hierarchy than Ed.
              Lithuania will be in the Olympics, so no need to worry about JV in summer league.

If the 2012 pick is below Ed Davis on the pecking order, this team is in serious, serious trouble...

Comment

Regardless of whether Ed is with the Raptors or not, it will be a huge summer for him. He is going into his third season in the NBA and was a lottery pick. While he did show an improvement at the free throw line, nothing else seemed to progress. He has shown that he can be a good rebounder in the NBA, but he will need the summer to show he can impact the game in other areas on a consistent basis. I don't know if he will ever be a decent 15 foot jump shooter, it is so ugly, but if he can gains some strength and refine his jump hook, he can be a 9-10ppg, 9 rebound type player.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                  Regardless of whether Ed is with the Raptors or not, it will be a huge summer for him. He is going into his third season in the NBA and was a lottery pick. While he did show an improvement at the free throw line, nothing else seemed to progress. He has shown that he can be a good rebounder in the NBA, but he will need the summer to show he can impact the game in other areas on a consistent basis. I don't know if he will ever be a decent 15 foot jump shooter, it is so ugly, but if he can gains some strength and refine his jump hook, he can be a 9-10ppg, 9 rebound type player.
                  So his ceiling is basically Jeff Foster, lol.

Comment

So his ceiling is basically Jeff Foster, lol.
                    Unlike most people around here, I try to stay realistic, He is not a natural scorer at all, but he has decent length and has shown he can rebound, unfortunately, 10 and 9 would be about where Ed tops out at, but those can be very good numbers on the right team.Tyson Chandler average 10 and 9.4 last year for Dallas, sound any better than Jeff Foster?
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Chandler does sound better than Foster. But perhaps Valanciunas is a better comparison for Chandler.

Comment

no i'm sticking with the Antonio Davis ceiling

Comment

Chandler does sound better than Foster. But perhaps Valanciunas is a better comparison for Chandler.
                          no i think Big V has a chance to be much better offensively and probably a multiple time all star.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                            no i think Big V has a chance to be much better offensively and probably a multiple time all star.
                            You're probably right, but the point still remains that Valanciunas seems to fit the Chandler "mold" better than Ed. Chandler and Valanciunas are both quick, lanky, defensive-minded 7-foot centers who excel in the PNR game.

Comment

You're probably right, but the point still remains that Valanciunas seems to fit the Chandler "mold" better than Ed. Chandler and Valanciunas are both quick, lanky, defensive-minded 7-foot centers who excel in the PNR game.
                              I was only comparing numbers to show how perception can be changed. I don't think Ed and Tyson play anything similar, nor to I think that Jonas will be similar to Tyson.

Jonas = Brad Miller/Brad Daugherty mix.
                              Ed = Cliff Levingston/Charles Smith
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X