Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Typical Toronto Team

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    You might want to Puffer.

    That's at least five players that have or will (Irving and Wall) change a teams fortune. That is my point. It would be nice to be one of those teams.
    Wall and Irving are still unknowns.

    Washington finsihed tied for 4th worst the year they got Wall and got lucky in the draft. However, since drafting Wall the year they had 26 wins, they won 23 games and this year 20 games (albeit in a short season but still 4th worst and a lower winning percentage than the year he was drafted). This ties in to a big part of my argument that more is needed than high draft picks - do they help? Hell yes. Are they the be all and end all? Nope. You can still get special players anywhere in the draft but there is no argument that the higher the pick the more probability due to larger selection.

    I have no argument with Irving. He is going to be special if he is not injured. But more than Irving, Cleveland has a good coach and good ownership..... oh yeah, and they got lucky going from 8 to 1 with the Clippers pick. They won 2 more games this year in 16 less games and were knocking on the playoff door until injuries set in.

    Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    You talk about management... I agree that management is the key to a successful franchise. But we have to realize that this team cannot attract a free agent unless there is already something special happening here. Drafting a superstar is that something special.

    I am curious to see what happens to Indiana next year. They are well managed (mostly) and don't have a super star, and they will have a ton of cap space. Seeing who they are able to land in the FA market should be a harbinger for the Raps.
    That something special requires luck.

    My issue here is not debating the merits of the draft. No doubt the best way to get a superstar is through the draft. Anyone arguing that is ridiculously delusional. My issue is the draft requires a great deal of luck in terms of draft positioning and all the intangibles like teammates, coach, situation, attitude, and work ethic that it takes to make a talented player great.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Gotcha. That is a fair argument for sure. I just wonder where the real talent is going to come from to make the Raps better if not the draft.

    Also... (non-sequitur time) am I the only one that wants to see Nash end up on the Pacers?

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thank you peeps for emphasizing my point that we need a superstar.

    Yes Matt we do need other pieces but look at Chicago. They have amazing pieces, a winning culture, deep bench, a great coach but how many of you think they're going to win it all now that Rose is out with a torn ACL. This is exactly my point!

    We have good pieces? As Arsenalist mentions so beautifully in his piece "It all fell in line with the plan", BC is hoping that mediocre talent becomes above average talent. The key words is "hoping" and "mediocre". Are these your key pieces that you mention we need to win a championship?

    So how are we going to get that superstar? Buy him? Nope, why would they choose TO when they're going to get max where ever they go. Trade for him? Who's going to trade us their superstar? Hope that as we're in the mid range of the win/loss column and some how we luck out in the lottery? I guess that our only chance the way we're going. Sigh~

    Prove me wrong Chicago... so I can have a glimmer of hope that we too can win the championship if the stars align perfectly.
    Last edited by raptors2012; Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 08:43 PM.

  4. #44
    Raptors Republic Starter Fanchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors2012 wrote: View Post
    Thank you peeps for emphasizing my point that we need a superstar.

    Yes Matt we do need other pieces but look at Chicago. They have amazing pieces, a winning culture, deep bench, a great coach but how many of you think they're going to win it all now that Rose is out with a torn ACL. This is exactly my point!

    We have good pieces? As Arsenalist mentions so beautifully in his piece "It all fell in line with the plan", BC is hoping that mediocre talent becomes above average talent. The key words is "hoping" and "mediocre". Are these your key pieces that you mention we need to win a championship?

    So how are we going to get that superstar? Buy him? Nope, why would they choose TO when they're going to get max where ever they go. Trade for him? Who's going to trade us their superstar? Hope that as we're in the mid range of the win/loss column and some how we luck out in the lottery? I guess that our only chance the way we're going. Sigh~

    Prove me wrong Chicago... so I can have a glimmer of hope that we too can win the championship if the stars align perfectly.
    Am I the only one thinking JV could (not necessarily will but clearly could) be that superstar ?

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Fanchie wrote: View Post
    Am I the only one thinking JV could (not necessarily will but clearly could) be that superstar ?
    Yes you are haha.. sorry

    As much of a dominant big man you are you always need a go to clutch scorer. Even Shaq needed the likes of a Kobe or Wade. And as much as we compare Jonas to Duncan, hoping Jonas is as good as Duncan is really wishful thinking and even still, Duncan had the Admiral and then Parker and Gino.

    Now SA is team that built properly with a bit of luck (Duncan) and great drafting. From my knowledge they didnt even go into the luxury tax during their championship years.
    Last edited by raptors2012; Sat Apr 28th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.

  6. #46
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Sorry. Hopefully it is relevant and somewhat interesting.
    Don't apologize Matt.

    Anyone who doesn't enjoy your posts, or find some sort of value in their depth, doesn't enjoy a good conversation.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  7. #47
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    You are embarrassing yourself with specious arguments.else.
    I believe you mean either "special" or "suspicious".

    specious is a word that I don't believe is in the english language.

    Just keep it for future reference, it doesn't help your credibility. Especially when you are telling someone they're emberassing themselves.

  8. #48
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Don't apologize Matt.

    Anyone who doesn't enjoy your posts, or find some sort of value in their depth, doesn't enjoy a good conversation.
    I was goin to come up with something wottyhere. But, the only thing I can come up with is fucked up sounding.

    So, instead I'll write this totally unnecessary and irrelevant post. While also driving up my post count because it makes me feel special.

    B-O-O-B-S!

  9. #49
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,464
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I was goin to come up with something wottyhere. But, the only thing I can come up with is fucked up sounding.

    So, instead I'll write this totally unnecessary and irrelevant post. While also driving up my post count because it makes me feel special.

    B-O-O-B-S!
    Amen.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

  10. #50
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors2012 wrote: View Post
    Thank you peeps for emphasizing my point that we need a superstar.

    Yes Matt we do need other pieces but look at Chicago. They have amazing pieces, a winning culture, deep bench, a great coach but how many of you think they're going to win it all now that Rose is out with a torn ACL. This is exactly my point!

    We have good pieces? As Arsenalist mentions so beautifully in his piece "It all fell in line with the plan", BC is hoping that mediocre talent becomes above average talent. The key words is "hoping" and "mediocre". Are these your key pieces that you mention we need to win a championship?

    So how are we going to get that superstar? Buy him? Nope, why would they choose TO when they're going to get max where ever they go. Trade for him? Who's going to trade us their superstar? Hope that as we're in the mid range of the win/loss column and some how we luck out in the lottery? I guess that our only chance the way we're going. Sigh~

    Prove me wrong Chicago... so I can have a glimmer of hope that we too can win the championship if the stars align perfectly.
    Chicago finished first this year in the league with their star missing 27 games. We'll see what happens in the playoffs now. They are extremely well coached and have a lot of good pieces. Actually that sounds a familiar. They were a mediocre, just outside the playoffs team before hitting lottery luck and going from 9th to 1st.

    Chicago is not built solely around Rose. They are a deep team. This again comes back to the issue you need much more than a superstar. Superstars help but they don't win on their own. You need a solid coaching staff and talented players around them.

    Arse is a card carrying member of the "BC needs to leave" Club so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt - just like anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt because I am the other end of the spectrum. I would like to think we are both objective though. Anyways, I don't think any of us can say exactly what BC is thinking. None of us are in his head. From what he said though he is rearing to go and changes are on the way. This is another issue I have with these arguments: none of us know where the Raptors are going to pick and none of us are privy to the types of trades/draft picks/free agent signings that could be on the horizon.

    Do the Raptors have key pieces needed to win a championship? Sure. I think there are guys that could help a championship team. Are they the main guys? No. Starters? Probably not.

    How many times do I have to say the way to get a superstar is lottery luck? That is the MAGICAL ANSWER.

    Chicago does need the stars to align perfectly - just like every other team who wins. You need solid coaching, talent, complimentary talent to the real talent, and no injuries to the real talent.

    Your whole argument comes down to we don't have a superstar so we're screwed. I couldn't disagree more. Getting a superstar is one piece of the puzzle - ask Cleveland..... or Orlando for that matter.

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    41
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Chicago finished first this year in the league with their star missing 27 games. We'll see what happens in the playoffs now. They are extremely well coached and have a lot of good pieces. Actually that sounds a familiar. They were a mediocre, just outside the playoffs team before hitting lottery luck and going from 9th to 1st.

    Chicago is not built solely around Rose. They are a deep team. This again comes back to the issue you need much more than a superstar. Superstars help but they don't win on their own. You need a solid coaching staff and talented players around them.

    Arse is a card carrying member of the "BC needs to leave" Club so anything he says should be taken with a grain of salt - just like anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt because I am the other end of the spectrum. I would like to think we are both objective though. Anyways, I don't think any of us can say exactly what BC is thinking. None of us are in his head. From what he said though he is rearing to go and changes are on the way. This is another issue I have with these arguments: none of us know where the Raptors are going to pick and none of us are privy to the types of trades/draft picks/free agent signings that could be on the horizon.

    Do the Raptors have key pieces needed to win a championship? Sure. I think there are guys that could help a championship team. Are they the main guys? No. Starters? Probably not.

    How many times do I have to say the way to get a superstar is lottery luck? That is the MAGICAL ANSWER.

    Chicago does need the stars to align perfectly - just like every other team who wins. You need solid coaching, talent, complimentary talent to the real talent, and no injuries to the real talent.

    Your whole argument comes down to we don't have a superstar so we're screwed. I couldn't disagree more. Getting a superstar is one piece of the puzzle - ask Cleveland..... or Orlando for that matter.
    We're going back and forth on this but I agree that you need other pieces but disagree on the superstar aspect. Sure you can draft really well and pick up a star eg. Arenas but a true superstar doesn't just appear in the middle or end of the draft. Howard, Duncan, Durant, Rose, Wade, Lebron, CP3, Griffin etc etc were destined to be stars before they came into the NBA. With today's scouts you are not going to end up having a superstar fall in your lap and the mid, end of the draft. Sure, the number one pick is not a guarantee for a superstar and sometimes you get lucky in the years that you draft like the Lebron draft but I say again, superstars aren't found mid-late 1st round. This is not the KG Kobe era where hs kids were an unknown. Even Gino, Parkers will get spotted now due to advanced international scouting and bball being an international game.

    Again, the only team that seemed to defy that logic was that Billups' Detroit team. But that team had players who were the best in the league at what they do: Billups - crunch time, Rip - spot up shooter, Tyshaun - defense and scoring, Ben - shot blocker, Rasheed - scoring and defense. That was an amazing team.

    Other than that - EVERY team that won in recent history had at least one superstar and near superstars to compliment them.

    End of argument!

    PS - As amazing as Chicago team is even without Rose, they don't have a prayer in winning the championship without Rose. Leagues best record - sure, championship - no way jose. Book it~
    Last edited by raptors2012; Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 02:44 AM.

  12. #52
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    85
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I believe you mean either "special" or "suspicious".

    specious is a word that I don't believe is in the english language.

    Just keep it for future reference, it doesn't help your credibility. Especially when you are telling someone they're emberassing themselves.
    spe∑cious/ˈspēSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
    Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive: "a specious appearance of novelty".
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/specious

    Awk-ward...
    Last edited by Gorlitzer; Sun Apr 29th, 2012 at 05:45 AM.

  13. #53
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors2012 wrote: View Post
    We're going back and forth on this but I agree that you need other pieces but disagree on the superstar aspect. Sure you can draft really well and pick up a star eg. Arenas but a true superstar doesn't just appear in the middle or end of the draft. Howard, Duncan, Durant, Rose, Wade, Lebron, CP3, Griffin etc etc were destined to be stars before they came into the NBA. With today's scouts you are not going to end up having a superstar fall in your lap and the mid, end of the draft. Sure, the number one pick is not a guarantee for a superstar and sometimes you get lucky in the years that you draft like the Lebron draft but I say again, superstars aren't found mid-late 1st round. This is not the KG Kobe era where hs kids were an unknown. Even Gino, Parkers will get spotted now due to advanced international scouting and bball being an international game.

    Again, the only team that seemed to defy that logic was that Billups' Detroit team. But that team had players who were the best in the league at what they do: Billups - crunch time, Rip - spot up shooter, Tyshaun - defense and scoring, Ben - shot blocker, Rasheed - scoring and defense. That was an amazing team.

    Other than that - EVERY team that won in recent history had at least one superstar and near superstars to compliment them.

    End of argument!

    PS - As amazing as Chicago team is even without Rose, they don't have a prayer in winning the championship without Rose. Leagues best record - sure, championship - no way jose. Book it~

    This was koncept's original post:

    Very typical of a Toronto team - not good enough to make playoffs, never shitty enough to get good draft picks. We're doomed everyone, keep hoping but we'll be stuck without a properly built team for the rest of time.
    The argument is: "...the Raptors are not good enough to make the playoffs, never shitty enough to get a good draft pick. We're doomed everyone, keep hoping but we'll be stuck without a properly built team for the rest of time."

    The Raptors, in my opinion, are not doomed. Plain and simple. Getting high draft picks year after year guarantees nothing as I have shown. Superstar players are available outside the top 3 players. The list you provided was evident of this - but then of course the argument changed. We have no idea who the Raptors will draft this year yet nor what their potential will be and we have no idea what JV's potential will be - JV could be the superstar but no one knows that without the benefit of hindsight and time. As of now anyone saying he is definitely not the superstar is talking out their ass - as is anyone saying he will be. All this talk about superstar and LeBron James.... hmmmm, how many championships has he won? Zero. And that is also with a year of teaming with an all-star in Bosh and another franchise talent in Wade. So I guess now the Raptors need 2 franchise players and an all-star? And if Championships is the only thing that matters, Miami is a failure too? Yet a team built around a 9th overall draft pick who was 32 before he won a championship beat the might LBJ and Dwane Wade. Further proof that you don't need a top draft pick to gain a championship and further proof that the most talented players do not automatically win.

    The whole problem with this thread is the extreme unfounded negativity. There are lots of positives in Raptor-land. The fact is 2 wins separated Toronto from where they are and where people wanted them to be in a 66 game season. So to add to the problem of extreme unfounded negativity we also have extreme overreaction. What happens if the Raptors get some lottery luck and pick top 3? All of a sudden things are perfect? The Raptors are going to automatically win championships? Hardly. Very little will change except the perception among those who think you need a top draft pick to build a winner.

    The Detroit example is a good one. While it is the exception to the rule, it shows good coaching and a solid team can overcome 4 hall of famers with 2 in their prime. I would most definitely disagree that the Pistons starting lineup were all the best at what they did. Outside of Ben Wallace that is a gross generalization and sucks the credibility from the argument.

    A team like Sacramento or Charlotte has a brutal near and intermediate future.
    A team like Milwaukee or Detroit is stuck in mediocrity with very limited flexibility moving forward.

    That high school player and international scouting argument is still ridiculous by the way. A statement backed up with no proof other than an opinion is hardly credible. Here are all the high school draft picks from 1995 until 2005:


    1995 1 5 Kevin Garnett*
    1996 1 13 Kobe Bryant*
    1996 1 17 Jermaine O'Neal*
    1997 1 9 Tracy McGrady*
    1998 1 25 Al Harrington
    1998 2 32 Rashard Lewis+
    1998 2 40 Korleone Young
    1999 1 5 Jonathan Bender
    1999 1 25 Leon Smith
    2000 1 3 Darius Miles
    2000 1 23 DeShawn Stevenson
    2001 1 1 Kwame Brown
    2001 1 2 Tyson Chandler
    2001 1 4 Eddy Curry
    2001 1 8 DeSagana Diop
    2001 2 46 Ousmane Cisse#
    2002 1 9 Amar'e Stoudemire*
    2003 1 1 LeBron James*

    2003 1 23 Travis Outlaw
    2003 1 26 Ndudi Ebi 2003 1 27 Kendrick Perkins
    2003 2 48 James Lang
    2004 1 1 Dwight Howard*
    2004 1 4 Shaun Livingston

    2004 1 12 Robert Swift
    2004 1 13 Sebastian Telfair
    2004 1 15 Al Jefferson
    2004 1 17 Josh Smith
    2004 1 18 J. R. Smith
    2004 1 19 Dorell Wright
    2005 1 6 Martell Webster
    2005 1 10 Andrew Bynum+

    2005 1 18 Gerald Green
    2005 2 34 C. J. Miles
    2005 2 35 Ricky SŠnchez#
    2005 2 40 Monta Ellis
    2005 2 45 Louis Williams
    2005 2 49 Andray Blatche
    2005 2 56 Amir Johnson

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_high_school_draftees
    As for international players, quite a few drafted 'back in the day' when international players were 'unknowns'. Your argument might fly in the 1980's and early 1990's but hardly in the last 15 years.

    Year Number of Players First Round Second Round
    2004 20 8 12
    2003 21 9 12
    2002 17 6 11
    2001 11 6 5
    2000 14 7 7
    1999 9 3 6
    1998 9 6 3
    1997 12 4 8
    1996 7 6 1
    1995 4 1 3
    1994 3 1 2
    1993 4 1 3

    http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/me.../fastfacts.pdf
    So I guess that is the end of argument because you already declared victory.



    The Raptors are doomed everybody! D-o--o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-M-E-D!

  14. #54
    Raptors Republic Icon mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    spe∑cious/ˈspēSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
    Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive: "a specious appearance of novelty".
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/specious

    Awk-ward...
    For what it is worth, I understood the word - lol.

    However, since this thread is about how doomed the Raptors are, I would also point out your argument is also quite specious.

    We have no idea:

    1) where Toronto will draft in 2012
    2) who Toronto drafts in 2012
    3) what will be done with the 2 second round picks or who they are used to draft
    4) what Toronto does with the $12M in cap space
    5) what the Raptors do with the $7.6M TPE
    6) what Bargnani shows up next year
    7) what becomes of JV
    8) what trades could be made
    9) what free agents are signed
    10) what progress any Raptor player could make next year

    There are so many variables and so much flexibility the front office currently has anything is possible.

    It comes down to if you see the glass half empty or half full at this point - a matter of perspective.

    Come mid-July, things should become more clear and a debate can be had based on more than unbridled optimism or jaded negativity.

  15. #55
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Raptors are going to be just fine. Trust me.

  16. #56
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,848
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Raptors are going to be just fine. Trust me.
    +1 yes you are correct

  17. #57
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Amen.
    Now you got it!

  18. #58
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote RandomGuy wrote: View Post
    Raptors are going to be just fine. Trust me.
    Why would I trust a RandomGuy?

    bada bing!

    Thankyou, I'm here 'tilthursday.

  19. #59
    Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lietuva
    Posts
    1,412
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trust me.

  20. #60
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,330
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    spe∑cious/ˈspēSHəs/
    Adjective:
    Superficially plausible, but actually wrong: "a specious argument".
    Misleading in appearance, esp. misleadingly attractive: "a specious appearance of novelty".
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/specious

    Awk-ward...
    That is seriously a word in the Canadian english dictionary!?

    The definition is similar to "suspicious".

    But, seriously. That is not a commonly used word. Sounds like Bryan Murray trying to say "suspicious".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •