Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys who have played for the Raps, vs. guys who were Raps.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys who have played for the Raps, vs. guys who were Raps.

The "Who do you miss?" thread got me thinking. Lots of guys have played for the Raptors, but not all of them "were" Raptors. By that I mean, some guys were the heart and soul of the team. Other guys have the Raptors on their resume'. I'd like to get a sense of who you guys felt WERE Raptors (or are) and by that, I mean guys who would say "I was a Raptor" with similar pride to a guy who played for the Bulls or Nicks. Someone or some guys who didnt just play for us, but were us. Does such a thing exist? I'll throw out JYD's name to get things started.

In no order, these are the players that come to mind when I think "Raptors"...

Real Raptors
    - Mighty Mouse (the first draft pick and the face of the brand new franchise)
    - Mo-Pete (Mr. Raptor, at least thus far, IMO)
    - Vinsanity (put Toronto on the NBA map and lead the franchise to its first playoff and series win)
    - JYD (blue-collar, high on heart, low on talent type player Toronto sports fans love to overrate)

Honourable Mentions
    - Doug Christie (good player on bad bad teams)
    - Alvin Williams (another glue guy, injury forced early retirement, otherewise he'd be on the big boys list)
    - Jose Calderon (face of the 'Euraptors' era and current post-Bosh team)
    - Chris Bosh (it's funny, but I honestly completely forgot about him until I was typing Calderon... I'm not the type to boo players but, for the record, he's more dead to the Raptor fan in me than Vince)
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Apr 30, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Guys that were proud to be a Raptor: Mo-Pete, Anthony Parker, Jose Calderon, Alvin Williams, Red Rocket, JYD.

Comment

Mighty Mouse probably doesn't even remember playing here. Let alone speak of it with Pride.

I'd say Mo Pete, Alvin Williams, Matt Bonner, JYD and Vince.

Soon to be Jose Calderon and Jerryd Bayless (dude won't shut up about how much he wants to stay! haha)

Comment

Kenny Anderson and Alonzo Mourning....oh wait a minute...

Comment

When Vince went down with injury that time....Jalen Rose really stepped up for the home team. I remember him standing on top of a table and really getting the crowd going in one game. He always seems to speak with positivity when talking about the Raptors.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Mighty Mouse probably doesn't even remember playing here. Let alone speak of it with Pride.
              Actually, he started to regret leaving within a couple of years and certainly admitted he made a mistake 3-4 years after leaving. I recall reading an interview with him in which he mentioned how much he liked it, until the breakup.

Comment

If the thread was asking who "WERE and CONTINUE TO BE Raptors", through and through, then only 2 come to mind: Mo-Pete & Alvin Williams.

My original response was replying to the "WERE Raptors" question, which is why I related back to players during their actual 'best of times' while with the franchise.

Comment

close to lifers - Mo-Pete and A-Will
                  Wished they were lifers - JYD, Jose
                  Fans wished they were lifers - Bosh, Camby, Vince, T-mac
                  My wish were lifers - AP, Garbo, Jose, Bargnani, JJ, Demar, Ed, Bayless, Vince, Bosh

Comment

Oliver Miller, Alvin Robertson, Keon Clark....our jailbird hof members...I bet they must have at least once, during their incarceration, must have had the albeit fleeting pang..."Oh those were the days. I wish I were still a Raptor".

Comment

Matt Bonner. Jerome Williams. More to come, gotta go for now.

Comment

JYD played every game like he loved playing here. Mo Pete and Jose were/are the quiet, dedicated guys who are happy playing outside the spotlight.

And of course, nothing says "Raptors" like Hakeem Olajuwon. In dog years, he spent quite a long time in Toronto.

Celebrating the Futility of the Toronto Raptors:
                        http://www.holycraptors.com

Comment

JYD, Mo-Pete (I still remember his first game back, he kissed the Raptor logo at center court), Alvin, Oak, Carlos Rogers, Jose, Amir, Sonny, Muggsy, and Zan Tabak.

Comment

Yes, Love me some Zan Tabak!

Ftw

There's only one guy and he was the commentator. Dude, had i think part ownership of a sub shop. From that classic phrase.

T-Mac, Vince and Oakley always speak fondly of their time in Toronto.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Sonny? no just no

Comment

Working...
                              X