ESPN Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Damian Lillard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Damian Lillard

Analysis: The Raptors need help at both the wing and the point. Lillard can play some of both. His versatility and ability to shoot and score the basketball should serve them well.

i could live with lillard. as mentioned, he could come off the bench and play both guard spots.

i know a few here will say "but we already have bayless!!1" buuuuuut yeah. i'd rather roll with lillard. i watched the last few games of his and was really impressed. dude is a unreal scorer.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

If stuck with the #8-10 pick, I'd rather draft Marshall.

At least that way the Raps can groom the future floor general PG, instead of rolling the dice with another shoot-first combo guard type of PG (ie: Ford, Jack, Bayless...). I don't like Bayless, but don't see how Lillard is much of an upgrade over Bayless, aside from the lure of the unknown and the hope he can become more of a true PG without losing his scoring touch (which Bayless has proven he unable to do thus far).

Comment

I am not so sure about Lillard. The guy had no competition. I think its too risky to get him at #8. PG is a need but more so for 2013/2014 than next year. I'd rather spend the 2nd rounder on a PG (like Machado) and use the first rounder for a guy like PJ3 or TJones.

Comment

i think with the "level of competition" argument you have to look at whether or not they dominated. it's not Lillard or any other shitty conference players fault where they play, but when they did play, how did they fare? Lillard was pretty unfuckwitable (thats a word i just made up) in school, so he certainly can ball. if "level of competition" was such a important thing, then why were high school players taken so high? it's all based on talent, and i think Lillard has a ton of it.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

now i want you to know i don't think Lillard absolutely must be our dude, i'm just saying i wouldn't be mad if he was our pick. i don't really like the idea of trading out or down, so if we're rolling with #8 i'd rather take a guy with high talent that knows how to use it and isn't borderline retarded like PJ3.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

keep in mind Lillard had the second best PER in college last year, so its not like was a volume scorer, either. dude was crazy efficient, which is what you want if you're rolling with a scoring PG.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

i'm starting to come off like a crazed groupie so i'm going to step away for a bit
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

That guy has the biggest lips I have ever seen. For that, and many other reasons, I would rather take Kendall Marshall if we pick 8. I really think that Jose, bayless, and Marshall is a good to very good back court.

Take the cap space and go get upgrades elsewhere.
                  Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I get your point about high school players, but I like a PG who can dish the ball. He averaged about 4 assists, and had 2.3 turnovers.. he's not going to score like that in the NBA, especially at his size. If he was a wing and could play like that, then I'm all in - but a PG?

He'd have to play SG, and I think he's too small. Reminds me of Curry in that regards. A good player but has a serious deficiency and is why I'd pass on him.

Comment

just gonna drop this in here. notice how he doesn't settle for jump shots, but is always attacking, yet at the same time reading the defense. that's actually a innate quality that the best players have. i just find the dude extremely intriguing.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I get your point about high school players, but I like a PG who can dish the ball. He averaged about 4 assists, and had 2.3 turnovers.. he's not going to score like that in the NBA, especially at his size. If he was a wing and could play like that, then I'm all in - but a PG?

He'd have to play SG, and I think he's too small. Reminds me of Curry in that regards. A good player but has a serious deficiency and is why I'd pass on him.
                        i get why people like a pass first PG and all that, but outside of chris paul and steve nash there aren't many elite guards that are the traditional pass first type anymore. you look at guys like derek rose (RIP) or westbrook and while they're not pass first they certainly get the job done. we're in a era where scoring guards are coming to the fore. it is what it is, i don't know what more i can say.

he's clearly a scorer, but i don't even know what his QB qualities are really like, his teammates at Weber were abysmal. he was literally a one man wrecking crew. but the point is, he got it done. which is more than i can say about a few of the other prospects in our range.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

for the record, i like Marshall and think he'll have a fine career, i just stay away from him because he just isn't athletic. he'll be fine on offense and have some nice assists and his teammates will love him but dude is gonna get burned on defense. so, so burned.

if there was a PG that had moves like jagger that was pass first i'm sure i'd like him though!
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Would be nice to see some passing in that highlight package.

I would be okay with Lillard. Marshall is intriguing too. I think I would lean more towards Marshall. He has more size, elite passing and seems like a leader. I think part of what this team needs is an identity and Marshall can help with that. Also, for Jonas to be successful he will need a pick and roll master. Marshall is that guy. Still... I think Lillard will be a very good pro too.

Comment

Wow we really screwed up this draft position thing...

Comment

Working...
                              X