No announcement yet.

ESPN Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Damian Lillard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keep in mind marshall had supreme talent around him. i certainly agree that he was in the drivers seat on that UNC squad, but i'm not sure marshall is even a first rounder if he played on a lesser team. there. i said it and i don't care.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

he's like a smaller Westbrook with a jumpshot

Comment

..which is awesome?
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

sure i wouldn't mind picking him

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            if "level of competition" was such a important thing, then why were high school players taken so high? it's all based on talent, and i think Lillard has a ton of it.
            This

Comment

I think when people get hyped about pass-first versus shoot-first it's silly. With that said I'm worried that by taking Lillard or Marshall at #8 the team would be reaching based on need. If Colangelo doesn't get an elite prospect with all-star potential I'll consider this draft a failure. If that means packaging assets to move up (DeRozan, Calderon, Davis...anybody but Val) then so be it. The team needs stars or we'll be locked into cheering for a mediocre team for the next 5 years.

This summer may be the only window available.

Comment

Personally, assuming Chad is correct on the first seven picks, I'd like the Raptors to also look hard at Marshall and Rivers.

Edit: Damn, Ford is slotting Lamb in at 17? It'll never happen. Add him to my above list as well.

Comment

So, who are the other picks? (1-7).

I am not so sure whether this pick is based on a needs basis or best player available. This because I dont think we really need to address a PG deficiency at this time. I would rather we went for the best player available and most ready to contribute.

Comment

Lillard could very well be the best player available.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      So, who are the other picks? (1-7).

I am not so sure whether this pick is based on a needs basis or best player available. This because I dont think we really need to address a PG deficiency at this time. I would rather we went for the best player available and most ready to contribute.
                      1. Davis
                      2. MKG
                      3. Beal
                      4. Robinson
                      5. Drummond
                      6. Barnes
                      7. Jones

Comment

Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
                        Would be nice to see some passing in that highlight package.

I would be okay with Lillard. Marshall is intriguing too. I think I would lean more towards Marshall. He has more size, elite passing and seems like a leader. I think part of what this team needs is an identity and Marshall can help with that. Also, for Jonas to be successful he will need a pick and roll master. Marshall is that guy. Still... I think Lillard will be a very good pro too.
                        I thought the same thing about the lack of passing in the highlight package on Lillard. So I thought I would check it out on my new website fling (swishscout):

Passing: For a point guard running the show, Lillard isn’t that great of passer compared to his NBA counterparts. No one’s perfect, but doesn’t have the consistent accuracy or distributing ability you want from a point with his passes. He’s an unselfish player who’s willing to give it up, but doesn’t see the floor well and has average court vision. Doesn’t routinely hit his teammates where they need the ball, with a few being too misdirected to get off a quick shot or avoid the reach of the defense. Can be pressured into errors and committing turnovers in addition. Assists totals could be misleading due to some great 3-point shooting teammates on his squad who made his job very easy, he just had to swing the ball to them. That’s not to say he’s not a good “drive and kick” player, because he does that at a good level and it fit the team need. Okay passer into the paint for teammates, but is little used in that regard or distributing off the drive to cutting teammates outside the pick and roll. To his credit, he does throw an excellent outlet pass ahead to teammates out in the open floor. Really needs to develop his skills as a distributor before entrusting him to run a team full time. That’s not to say he can’t make some nice plays for teammates, because he can and will, but not on a regular basis one would like from an NBA point guard.

I should mention that this site is not a fan of Lillard's game and has him getting drafted in the mid-late first round. Here is his wrap-up of Lillard:

Long Story Short: Lillard’s a quick point guard and gamer who can flat out score by attacking the basket, spotting up or creating his own shot from the perimeter. Although he has upside at the position, Damian’s passing skills are mediocre and his shooting mechanics are suspect, making him a mid-late first rounder at best in 2012.

Best Case Scenario: Ramon Sessions
                        Worst Case Scenario: Norris Cole
                        Last edited by The Coach; Mon Apr 30, 2012, 09:17 PM.
                        “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                        ― John Wooden

Comment

That's the great thing about having him watch Jose for the year
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Kind of like Bayless did this past year

Comment

Bayless has done that the past year and a half, yet you don't think he's shown much why would it be different for lilliard? Also, Bayless was a higher rated prospect in his draft year than lilliard is now. There is nothing that lilliard does better than bayless. So, unless bayless is traded i dont see us drafting an inferior version of that player.

Edit: Bayless is more selfish...but that's partially because he can shoot from 3 with consistency.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Keep in mind Bayless is dumb as a stool though
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X