Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Mock Draft 4.0: Raptors select Damian Lillard

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think when people get hyped about pass-first versus shoot-first it's silly. With that said I'm worried that by taking Lillard or Marshall at #8 the team would be reaching based on need. If Colangelo doesn't get an elite prospect with all-star potential I'll consider this draft a failure. If that means packaging assets to move up (DeRozan, Calderon, Davis...anybody but Val) then so be it. The team needs stars or we'll be locked into cheering for a mediocre team for the next 5 years.

This summer may be the only window available.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, assuming Chad is correct on the first seven picks, I'd like the Raptors to also look hard at Marshall and Rivers.

Edit: Damn, Ford is slotting Lamb in at 17? It'll never happen. Add him to my above list as well.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

So, who are the other picks? (1-7).

I am not so sure whether this pick is based on a needs basis or best player available. This because I dont think we really need to address a PG deficiency at this time. I would rather we went for the best player available and most ready to contribute.

Post Thanks / Like

Lillard could very well be the best player available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    So, who are the other picks? (1-7).

I am not so sure whether this pick is based on a needs basis or best player available. This because I dont think we really need to address a PG deficiency at this time. I would rather we went for the best player available and most ready to contribute.
    1. Davis
    2. MKG
    3. Beal
    4. Robinson
    5. Drummond
    6. Barnes
    7. Jones

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    Would be nice to see some passing in that highlight package.

I would be okay with Lillard. Marshall is intriguing too. I think I would lean more towards Marshall. He has more size, elite passing and seems like a leader. I think part of what this team needs is an identity and Marshall can help with that. Also, for Jonas to be successful he will need a pick and roll master. Marshall is that guy. Still... I think Lillard will be a very good pro too.
    I thought the same thing about the lack of passing in the highlight package on Lillard. So I thought I would check it out on my new website fling (swishscout):

Passing: For a point guard running the show, Lillard isn’t that great of passer compared to his NBA counterparts. No one’s perfect, but doesn’t have the consistent accuracy or distributing ability you want from a point with his passes. He’s an unselfish player who’s willing to give it up, but doesn’t see the floor well and has average court vision. Doesn’t routinely hit his teammates where they need the ball, with a few being too misdirected to get off a quick shot or avoid the reach of the defense. Can be pressured into errors and committing turnovers in addition. Assists totals could be misleading due to some great 3-point shooting teammates on his squad who made his job very easy, he just had to swing the ball to them. That’s not to say he’s not a good “drive and kick” player, because he does that at a good level and it fit the team need. Okay passer into the paint for teammates, but is little used in that regard or distributing off the drive to cutting teammates outside the pick and roll. To his credit, he does throw an excellent outlet pass ahead to teammates out in the open floor. Really needs to develop his skills as a distributor before entrusting him to run a team full time. That’s not to say he can’t make some nice plays for teammates, because he can and will, but not on a regular basis one would like from an NBA point guard.

I should mention that this site is not a fan of Lillard's game and has him getting drafted in the mid-late first round. Here is his wrap-up of Lillard:

Long Story Short: Lillard’s a quick point guard and gamer who can flat out score by attacking the basket, spotting up or creating his own shot from the perimeter. Although he has upside at the position, Damian’s passing skills are mediocre and his shooting mechanics are suspect, making him a mid-late first rounder at best in 2012.

Best Case Scenario: Ramon Sessions
    Worst Case Scenario: Norris Cole
    Last edited by The Coach; Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
    ďBe more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.Ē
    ― John Wooden

Post Thanks / Like

That's the great thing about having him watch Jose for the year

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Kind of like Bayless did this past year

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bayless has done that the past year and a half, yet you don't think he's shown much why would it be different for lilliard? Also, Bayless was a higher rated prospect in his draft year than lilliard is now. There is nothing that lilliard does better than bayless. So, unless bayless is traded i dont see us drafting an inferior version of that player.

Edit: Bayless is more selfish...but that's partially because he can shoot from 3 with consistency.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind Bayless is dumb as a stool though

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind Bayless is dumb as a stool though
    How so? Bayless as far as I know is a pretty intelligent guy- on an off the court.

Post Thanks / Like

The scouting reports from Bayless from back when he was at Arizona and Lillard's are awfully similar.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    How so? Bayless as far as I know is a pretty intelligent guy- on an off the court.
    +1 exactly. Ceez needs to stop pulling stuff out of his ass.

Post Thanks / Like

You can tell by the way he keeps talking that silly "but I'm a starter you guys " nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like

He doesn't seem to get it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I get why people like Lillard but he would be a terrible fit with DeRozan and Bargnani, and possibly with Valanciunas if he isn't a great pick and roll passer (since most of Val's offense in year 1 will likely come from diving to the bucket on the roll). He looks like his skill set will translate well to the NBA and that he'd be very low risk as an asset, but the league is flooded with combo guards that can score and come on cheap contracts.

edit: Just wanted to add, if you really want to take a point guard, there's no reason not to move down. I'm starting to wonder if trading the 8 for the Rockets' 14th and 16th picks (should it shake out that way), and seeing who falls might be a good idea. Rivers, Q Miller, Terrence Jones and Lamb are all available in that range in Ford's mock, and frankly I'd much prefer 2 of those 4 to Lillard or Marshall.
    Last edited by Lark Benson; Mon Apr 30th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

His numbers are actually very good as a starter. I know he has said that he views himself as a starter, and why shouldn't he get that chance? I don't know how that makes him dumb as a stool.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

just gonna drop this in here. notice how he doesn't settle for jump shots, but is always attacking, yet at the same time reading the defense. that's actually a innate quality that the best players have. i just find the dude extremely intriguing.
    Thanks for posting this, I didn't see alot of him during the season. He looks like a definite upgrade from Bayless, more explosive better finisher at the rim. I suppose when talking about our "PG of the future" I would have like to have seen one pass in the mix, one assist or an alley oop dish or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh yeah that's another thing about Bayless that drives me crazy, finishing. Death to Bayless!

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Just my 2 cents but, I think Lillard is the right pick here, but I don't see BryCo taking him over Lamb and Rivers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information