View Poll Results: How would you upgrade the roster this season?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • free agency after July 1st and the draft

8 25.81%
  • trades prior to July 1st, the draft, and free agency using exceptions

23 74.19%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How would you hit the ground running?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Honestly, I'd save the Cap Space for the Free Agent market ... there are players there, even if we need to wait on an RFA.

Nic Batum is valued by Portland, but how much will they pay to match? Are they anywhere near contending with big contracts tied up in Aldrigde, Batum and Wes Matthews? It's not bad, but that core won't compete in the West if it doesn't leave room for another star piece. Maybe we can offer enough to make them blink.

O.J. Mayo is highly valued by the Grizz, but with huge deals bringing them near the cap for the next 4 years in only 4 bodies (Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Conley) ... can they even be competitive in offers for Mayo? A reasonable market value offer would already be too much for them to match.

Steve Nash. Unlikely? Maybe ... But also impossible NOT to at least take a close look for many reasons, on the court AND off.

Other reasons to wait until free agency?
    -Goran Dragic
    -Matt Barnes
    -Louis Williams
    -Jeff Green?
    -Jameer Nelson
    -Aaron Brooks
    -George Hill
    -Eric Gordon
    -Landry Fields
    -Grant Hill

These all could help add to us hitting the ground running!

If we stay put at #8, take a guard: Lillard, Marshall, or Rivers.
    If we move into the top 3: Davis (1st), MKG, Beal (2nd, 3rd).
    This is what Portland is saying on Batum:

So we have the potential to do that. We also have the potential to sign some free agents. On top of that, with Nic being a restricted free agent this summer if we tender him his qualifying offer by June 30, we have the right to match him on any offer that comes in from another team. And how that will work is July 1 is the start of free agency moratorium where you can go out and talk to free agents, you can recruit them, bring them into your market, do whatever you want to do to try and recruit them to come to your team. You can talk contracts with the agents, you can talk years. You can come to an oral agreement, you can't come to a final agreement until July 11. But starting on July 11, a restricted free agent can, like Nicolas, if he gets an offer from another team, can bring that offer to you. Then we have three days to make a decision on whether to match that offer or not.

Now in the meantime, during that three-day window, we can go spend all of our cap room.

BARRETT: Three days is shorter than it used to be. That could be a factor.

BUCHANAN: It does because, hopefully during that July 1 to July 10 period you can get a firm grasp on where you're going with your free agent group. Who's agreed to come? You're down to maybe two teams or where you're at from that regard.

RICE: So you're looking to close a free agent deal before matching an offer for Nicolas?

BUCHANAN: Exactly, because you can spend all, let's say we have $15 million in cap room, you can spend all of that cap room, then go over the cap, not into the tax but over the cap, to re-sign Nicolas because you have Bird rights on Nicolas, so you can go over the cap to re-sign Nicolas.

Let's say we were to extend Nicolas early, back in January. Whatever we would have signed him at would have eaten up into our cap room. Let's say, hypothetically, you have $15 million in room, say you sing him for $10 million. So you have $5 million in cap room this summer to spend. Because we didn't get a deal done with him, he has what is called a cap hold, which is $5.4 million in room that is getting eat up on your books. So now you have this amount of room to spend on free agents and you can go over, on top of that, and re-sign Nic because you have his Bird rights.

BARRETT: The team has said they're going to match any offer for Nic. Nic has said he expects the team to match. Does that keep other teams from making offers because they don't want to have their free-agent money tied up?

BUCHANAN: It is a risk. On our end, we went through that with Paul Millsap a couple of years ago where your money, there's only so many free agents out there and you whittle down to the ones that you really want and target. If you're going to commit to a guy who's a restricted guy, you're tying up your money, like you said, it used to be seven, now it's three days. In that three-day window other guys may be coming off the block and now you're left, after the third day, if the team does match, now you're like, now let's go back, who's still in the pool? Now that guy is picked off that maybe you liked. it's a risk on their end. It was a risk on our end to kind of let him go to restricted, but we felt like the opportunity to add free agent or free agents on top of keeping Nic.

http://blogs.trailblazers.com/Broadc...4/Default.aspx
    As for the free agents, it is a gamble with being outbid, matched, and players desires. Some of them, like Fields and Barnes, could be got for the MLE.

The final thing is a lot of NBA teams are going to have cap space this summer. There will be a lot of competition and based on history I don't see teams restraining themselves in a bidding war.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Can't say the same for Batum though. Sources say Portland will match everything; and offer him 10 million plus.

I like Batum and all... but 10 million? No thanks, that's a bit too much. Rajon Rondo makes only around 10 mil and hes a top 5 PG in the league. I'm starting to think that people are overrating Batum.
    Yes, getting into $10M and over is definitely too much for Batum. Overpaying him makes some sense as he is the "young vet, with distance shooting, and fantastic defence" - basically the perfect fit ... but there are limits.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    This is what Portland is saying on Batum:

As for the free agents, it is a gamble with being outbid, matched, and players desires. Some of them, like Fields and Barnes, could be got for the MLE.

The final thing is a lot of NBA teams are going to have cap space this summer. There will be a lot of competition and based on history I don't see teams restraining themselves in a bidding war.
    That is definitely the major downside of pursuing free agency ... the other teams with space, who will drive up player's value. Maybe we ARE better served building in trades, until our roster and past season's record are something that helps attract players here - not just being overpaid.

Tough call.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is definitely the major downside of pursuing free agency ... the other teams with space, who will drive up player's value. Maybe we ARE better served building in trades, until our roster and past season's record are something that helps attract players here - not just being overpaid.

Tough call.
    Agreed. Building through free agency always, always, always costs more.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people on this site are eager for the Toronto team to break out in 2013 but when they post here they have the need to appear NBA savvy and so they won't gush about the potential of a well coached AB plus DDR with JV. Sometimes it's okay to dream and even to gush a little at the prospect that Brian Colangelo just might be on to a winning formula a la OKC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Roarque wrote: View Post
    Lots of people on this site are eager for the Toronto team to break out in 2013 but when they post here they have the need to appear NBA savvy and so they won't gush about the potential of a well coached AB plus DDR with JV. Sometimes it's okay to dream and even to gush a little at the prospect that Brian Colangelo just might be on to a winning formula a la OKC.
    NBA savvy? lol

An opinion and $1.50 around here will get you a coffee.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How O.J. Mayo could come to the Raptors?

We take some amount of our large cap space, to offer him ... Memphis, carrying several HUGE contracts, doesn't match the offer to their RFA.

Done.
    I like your style Burgundy but the million dollar question is how much of our cap space would it take to 1) entice Mayo to sign here and 2) be to high that the Grizzlies can't match? Would you start Mayo (if so where) or have him come off the bench?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I like your style Burgundy but the million dollar question is how much of our cap space would it take to 1) entice Mayo to sign here and 2) be to high that the Grizzlies can't match? Would you start Mayo (if so where) or have him come off the bench?
    $7M puts them in the luxury tax with just 10 players on the roster and no backup PF's or C's.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mayo is pretty clutch tho last night he drained a couple of nice triples to ice "flop city". Lets hope that if we do sign him that him and Magloire get along. They were talking smack when we were whooping there ass's in memphis for that sweet road victory

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    $7M puts them in the luxury tax with just 10 players on the roster and no backup PF's or C's.
    I would be happy with Mayo at $7M a year. I understand that the Grizzlies may have a tough time swallowing that salary but not sure Mayo signs the dotted line here for that. I would think that there might be another team that could offer him more or a more desirable location with a similar offer or slightly less.

An off season additions of JV, Mayo and ideally a wing through the draft would be a home run in my eyes.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy with Mayo at $7M a year. I understand that the Grizzlies may have a tough time swallowing that salary but not sure Mayo signs the dotted line here for that. I would think that there might be another team that could offer him more or a more desirable location with a similar offer or slightly less.

An off season additions of JV, Mayo and ideally a wing through the draft would be a home run in my eyes.
    Minnesota and Chicago are two teams I can think of that need SG's in their starting line up. I see Ray Allen going to one of those teams (I'm guess Chicago) and OJ to the other (I'm guessing Minny).

Post Thanks / Like

I think Memphis would match $7M. They would have until June 30th, 2013 to get under the luxury tax.

So many possibilities. I think I'd lose my sh!t as a GM on a daily basis.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Minnesota and Chicago are two teams I can think of that need SG's in their starting line up. I see Ray Allen going to one of those teams (I'm guess Chicago) and OJ to the other (I'm guessing Minny).
    Mayo nearly became a Pacer just before the trade deadline. They'd probably will go after him too. This isnt easy!

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Chicago has Rip Hamilton bro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Chicago has Rip Hamilton bro
    So, what's your point? Hamilton hasn't offered much in the way of production - he's been injured a lot this season, but he's clearly on the decline. If they (the Bulls) wanted to, they could just amnesty Hamilton to make room for Mayo. I really don't see Mayo here, and in the same instance, the Raptors shouldn't break the bank to acquire him.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't think they can amnesty him can they?

anyways i don't see BC going after mayo at all, though i do like him. as far as SG goes, if you don't throw some D's at Gordon i say you roll with Demar and sign Courtney Lee or Jodie Meeks to come off the bench and really strengthen that second unit.

i for one would throw some serious cash at Batum if we don't get a top 3 pick. serious cash. He's young, he can shoot, he's a fantastic defender and you can't tell me he doesn't fit the Casey mold to a absolute T. He's the type of player you go to war with, that brings things to the table and takes absolutely nothing off. You throw cash at those guys. You need those guys. You win with those guys.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i don't think they can amnesty him can they?

anyways i don't see BC going after mayo at all, though i do like him. as far as SG goes, if you don't throw some D's at Gordon i say you roll with Demar and sign Courtney Lee or Jodie Meeks to come off the bench and really strengthen that second unit.

i for one would throw some serious cash at Batum if we don't get a top 3 pick. serious cash. He's young, he can shoot, he's a fantastic defender and you can't tell me he doesn't fit the Casey mold to a absolute T. He's the type of player you go to war with, that brings things to the table and takes absolutely nothing off. You throw cash at those guys. You need those guys. You win with those guys.
    Meeks I can see the Raptors going after because of his ties to Stefanski - they probably will make an offer, but I know the Sixers would love to retain him, especially if they decide to let Lou Williams walk.
    Batum is more of a longshot - a real long shot. Portland will match any offer.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised to see it played out exactly like that. Eric Gordon could play a factor as well with Minny. Clippers could use a SG and I could see them battling with the Bulls to ink Ray Allen.

Raptors Republic Rookie Justin Bonin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    when i look into my crystal ball i see gray and uzoh being retained, a couple solid FA pickups to bolster the bench, a surprising trade involving bargs or demar + parts (players? second rounders? $$$?) that lands us a stud and a draft pick that contributes right away. i don't see bayless anywhere in the picture... its getting hazy now...

that's all i got, folks.
    Here's hoping you're right...

It's time to shake things up with a trade... and the only way to truly do that is to get rid of Bargs or DD.

Bayless is expendable... he had injury troubles this year and we can replace him with one of our second round picks (assuming we only trade one).

Raptors Republic Rookie Justin Bonin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I'd save the Cap Space for the Free Agent market ... there are players there, even if we need to wait on an RFA.

Nic Batum is valued by Portland, but how much will they pay to match? Are they anywhere near contending with big contracts tied up in Aldrigde, Batum and Wes Matthews? It's not bad, but that core won't compete in the West if it doesn't leave room for another star piece. Maybe we can offer enough to make them blink.

O.J. Mayo is highly valued by the Grizz, but with huge deals bringing them near the cap for the next 4 years in only 4 bodies (Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Conley) ... can they even be competitive in offers for Mayo? A reasonable market value offer would already be too much for them to match.

Steve Nash. Unlikely? Maybe ... But also impossible NOT to at least take a close look for many reasons, on the court AND off.

Other reasons to wait until free agency?
    -Goran Dragic
    -Matt Barnes
    -Louis Williams
    -Jeff Green?
    -Jameer Nelson
    -Aaron Brooks
    -George Hill
    -Eric Gordon
    -Landry Fields
    -Grant Hill

These all could help add to us hitting the ground running!

If we stay put at #8, take a guard: Lillard, Marshall, or Rivers.
    If we move into the top 3: Davis (1st), MKG, Beal (2nd, 3rd).
    I have to agree with Matt and say that #2 is the best option...

Free agency is far to risky, as Matt mentioned, we would be unable to control our own destiny. We'll also have to pay more and would probably ended with the FA's at the bottom of the barrell.... there are far too many better teams and more attractive cities to compete with... Boston, Indiane, Brooklyn, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Cleveland, Charlotte, Phoenix and New Orleans could all potentially end up with quite a bit of cap space and the better FA's will likely go to one of these teams.

Of your list, there are only a couple players for which you could make a case that they would be worth BC and company pursuing them in FA while competing with the above mentioned teams and likely having to overpay... those would be Dragic, Williams, Brooks and Gordon, but they all come with question marks or red flags...

Dragic: he played extremely well this season in the absence of Kyle Lowry, but can he continue at that level? I tend to believe he can, especially considering the fact that he is a student of Steve Nash, and I would go as far as to say that of the FA's we have at least a realistic chance of acquiring, he is the best. That being said, we'd have to either trade or amnesty Jose to bring in Dragic, b/c if he isn't going to start, it's not worth it. (furthermore, I really want to hold to Jose, then re-sign him for cheap as a backup and a future member of the coaching staff).

Louis Williams: I'd love to add sweet Lou, but can he be more than a sixth man?

Eric Gordon: INJURIES!

Aaron Brooks: He played very well in China, but can he do that in the NBA? Is he really a huge upgrade over Jerryd Bayless?

Thread Information