View Poll Results: How would you upgrade the roster this season?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • free agency after July 1st and the draft

8 25.81%
  • trades prior to July 1st, the draft, and free agency using exceptions

23 74.19%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How would you hit the ground running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    In this case about Ray, but could be about that type of acquisition in general. Given our needs, he fits in regardless of what other moves we make...and yes, he may not want to come here, but that's always a risk, but not a big risk if you're just counting on using exceptions. I think really the goal would be to have a list of players who fit regardless of choice #1 or #2. I admit it's hard to think of a list like that, but there are some names out there even if they are unlikely, or perhaps not the best fit (Jamison, Hill, Stevenson...).
    That is the point though - to make use of the exceptions the Raptors are going to have to add salary prior to July 1st.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is the point though - to make use of the exceptions the Raptors are going to have to add salary prior to July 1st.
    Yeah, but that's also the strangeness of your thread....If the Raps don't make a move before July 1st out of choice, then the team is just stupid. They have to at least try. What kind of management doesn't act when they have more flexibility as opposed to less? That being said, my point was that regardless, they will have money for such signings. And in fact, if we fail to make a splash before FA, I would rather sign 2-3 players like Allen, Stevenson, etc, than add one guy for 8-10 million who is not a true star. For instance, adding Batum, and only Batum, at 8-10 million a year for 4 years might be a disaster if we do it after July 1st...On the flip side, adding Batum for that before the date and filling up our space means we can add such role players as well. I think the worst case is likely to be the one where July 1st comes and we spend on one player.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for option #2, as I see three scenarios that play to the Raptors advantage when going this route:

1) add salary that another team wants to dump
    - An example of this would be adding the bad contract of a player like Okafor from New Orleans, while also gaining an additional lottery pick as a 'thank you', similar to how Cleveland got the Clippers' pick last year for taking on Baron Davis' contract. The Raps could trade Amir for Okafor, and could also include any/all of JJ, Forbes, 2nd round picks (#38 & #56) in the deal.

2) trade down/out of the draft
    - If the Raps are stuck with the #8-11 pick in the draft and aren't confident enough to draft a player who will be on the board in that slot, they could get a jump on other teams in similar position, by offering up their pick (potentially along with other assets too) for a legit player who's under contract with another team, before other teams have the cap space to do so and start a bidding war.

3) TPE is useless in scenario #1
    - Another reason to like scenario #2 is that once July 1st rolls around and the Raps fall under the salary cap, the TPE acquired in the Barbosa trade is effectively lost. The raps can only use it (up until March 2013) if they are at/above (and stay at/above) the salary cap - taking on salary prior to July 1st would keep the TPE in play throughout the offseason.

The only downside to option #2 is that it effectively takes players like Batum, Mayo, Nash and Dragic out of the conversation, unless salary cap space is freed up by other means, or the Raps talk to team ahead of July 1st and work out a S&T ahead of time.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed May 2nd, 2012 at 10:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, but that's also the strangeness of your thread....If the Raps don't make a move before July 1st out of choice, then the team is just stupid. They have to at least try. What kind of management doesn't act when they have more flexibility as opposed to less? That being said, my point was that regardless, they will have money for such signings. And in fact, if we fail to make a splash before FA, I would rather sign 2-3 players like Allen, Stevenson, etc, than add one guy for 8-10 million who is not a true star. For instance, adding Batum, and only Batum, at 8-10 million a year for 4 years might be a disaster if we do it after July 1st...On the flip side, adding Batum for that before the date and filling up our space means we can add such role players as well. I think the worst case is likely to be the one where July 1st comes and we spend on one player.

That can't be done though. You can only add a free