How would you hit the ground running?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roarque wrote: View Post
    Lots of people on this site are eager for the Toronto team to break out in 2013 but when they post here they have the need to appear NBA savvy and so they won't gush about the potential of a well coached AB plus DDR with JV. Sometimes it's okay to dream and even to gush a little at the prospect that Brian Colangelo just might be on to a winning formula a la OKC.
    NBA savvy? lol

An opinion and $1.50 around here will get you a coffee.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      How O.J. Mayo could come to the Raptors?

We take some amount of our large cap space, to offer him ... Memphis, carrying several HUGE contracts, doesn't match the offer to their RFA.

Done.
      I like your style Burgundy but the million dollar question is how much of our cap space would it take to 1) entice Mayo to sign here and 2) be to high that the Grizzlies can't match? Would you start Mayo (if so where) or have him come off the bench?

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
        I like your style Burgundy but the million dollar question is how much of our cap space would it take to 1) entice Mayo to sign here and 2) be to high that the Grizzlies can't match? Would you start Mayo (if so where) or have him come off the bench?
        $7M puts them in the luxury tax with just 10 players on the roster and no backup PF's or C's.

Comment

Mayo is pretty clutch tho last night he drained a couple of nice triples to ice "flop city". Lets hope that if we do sign him that him and Magloire get along. They were talking smack when we were whooping there ass's in memphis for that sweet road victory

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            $7M puts them in the luxury tax with just 10 players on the roster and no backup PF's or C's.
            I would be happy with Mayo at $7M a year. I understand that the Grizzlies may have a tough time swallowing that salary but not sure Mayo signs the dotted line here for that. I would think that there might be another team that could offer him more or a more desirable location with a similar offer or slightly less.

An off season additions of JV, Mayo and ideally a wing through the draft would be a home run in my eyes.

Comment

I would be happy with Mayo at $7M a year. I understand that the Grizzlies may have a tough time swallowing that salary but not sure Mayo signs the dotted line here for that. I would think that there might be another team that could offer him more or a more desirable location with a similar offer or slightly less.

An off season additions of JV, Mayo and ideally a wing through the draft would be a home run in my eyes.
              Minnesota and Chicago are two teams I can think of that need SG's in their starting line up. I see Ray Allen going to one of those teams (I'm guess Chicago) and OJ to the other (I'm guessing Minny).

Comment

I think Memphis would match $7M. They would have until June 30th, 2013 to get under the luxury tax.

So many possibilities. I think I'd lose my sh!t as a GM on a daily basis.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Minnesota and Chicago are two teams I can think of that need SG's in their starting line up. I see Ray Allen going to one of those teams (I'm guess Chicago) and OJ to the other (I'm guessing Minny).
                  Mayo nearly became a Pacer just before the trade deadline. They'd probably will go after him too. This isnt easy!

Comment

Chicago has Rip Hamilton bro

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                      Chicago has Rip Hamilton bro
                      So, what's your point? Hamilton hasn't offered much in the way of production - he's been injured a lot this season, but he's clearly on the decline. If they (the Bulls) wanted to, they could just amnesty Hamilton to make room for Mayo. I really don't see Mayo here, and in the same instance, the Raptors shouldn't break the bank to acquire him.

Comment

i don't think they can amnesty him can they?

anyways i don't see BC going after mayo at all, though i do like him. as far as SG goes, if you don't throw some D's at Gordon i say you roll with Demar and sign Courtney Lee or Jodie Meeks to come off the bench and really strengthen that second unit.

i for one would throw some serious cash at Batum if we don't get a top 3 pick. serious cash. He's young, he can shoot, he's a fantastic defender and you can't tell me he doesn't fit the Casey mold to a absolute T. He's the type of player you go to war with, that brings things to the table and takes absolutely nothing off. You throw cash at those guys. You need those guys. You win with those guys.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          i don't think they can amnesty him can they?

anyways i don't see BC going after mayo at all, though i do like him. as far as SG goes, if you don't throw some D's at Gordon i say you roll with Demar and sign Courtney Lee or Jodie Meeks to come off the bench and really strengthen that second unit.

i for one would throw some serious cash at Batum if we don't get a top 3 pick. serious cash. He's young, he can shoot, he's a fantastic defender and you can't tell me he doesn't fit the Casey mold to a absolute T. He's the type of player you go to war with, that brings things to the table and takes absolutely nothing off. You throw cash at those guys. You need those guys. You win with those guys.
                          Meeks I can see the Raptors going after because of his ties to Stefanski - they probably will make an offer, but I know the Sixers would love to retain him, especially if they decide to let Lou Williams walk.
                          Batum is more of a longshot - a real long shot. Portland will match any offer.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see it played out exactly like that. Eric Gordon could play a factor as well with Minny. Clippers could use a SG and I could see them battling with the Bulls to ink Ray Allen.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              when i look into my crystal ball i see gray and uzoh being retained, a couple solid FA pickups to bolster the bench, a surprising trade involving bargs or demar + parts (players? second rounders? $$$?) that lands us a stud and a draft pick that contributes right away. i don't see bayless anywhere in the picture... its getting hazy now...

that's all i got, folks.
                              Here's hoping you're right...

It's time to shake things up with a trade... and the only way to truly do that is to get rid of Bargs or DD.

Bayless is expendable... he had injury troubles this year and we can replace him with one of our second round picks (assuming we only trade one).

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                                Honestly, I'd save the Cap Space for the Free Agent market ... there are players there, even if we need to wait on an RFA.

Nic Batum is valued by Portland, but how much will they pay to match? Are they anywhere near contending with big contracts tied up in Aldrigde, Batum and Wes Matthews? It's not bad, but that core won't compete in the West if it doesn't leave room for another star piece. Maybe we can offer enough to make them blink.

O.J. Mayo is highly valued by the Grizz, but with huge deals bringing them near the cap for the next 4 years in only 4 bodies (Gay, Gasol, Randolph, Conley) ... can they even be competitive in offers for Mayo? A reasonable market value offer would already be too much for them to match.

Steve Nash. Unlikely? Maybe ... But also impossible NOT to at least take a close look for many reasons, on the court AND off.

Other reasons to wait until free agency?
                                -Goran Dragic
                                -Matt Barnes
                                -Louis Williams
                                -Jeff Green?
                                -Jameer Nelson
                                -Aaron Brooks
                                -George Hill
                                -Eric Gordon
                                -Landry Fields
                                -Grant Hill

These all could help add to us hitting the ground running!

If we stay put at #8, take a guard: Lillard, Marshall, or Rivers.
                                If we move into the top 3: Davis (1st), MKG, Beal (2nd, 3rd).
                                I have to agree with Matt and say that #2 is the best option...

Free agency is far to risky, as Matt mentioned, we would be unable to control our own destiny. We'll also have to pay more and would probably ended with the FA's at the bottom of the barrell.... there are far too many better teams and more attractive cities to compete with... Boston, Indiane, Brooklyn, Dallas, Houston, Portland, Cleveland, Charlotte, Phoenix and New Orleans could all potentially end up with quite a bit of cap space and the better FA's will likely go to one of these teams.

Of your list, there are only a couple players for which you could make a case that they would be worth BC and company pursuing them in FA while competing with the above mentioned teams and likely having to overpay... those would be Dragic, Williams, Brooks and Gordon, but they all come with question marks or red flags...

Dragic: he played extremely well this season in the absence of Kyle Lowry, but can he continue at that level? I tend to believe he can, especially considering the fact that he is a student of Steve Nash, and I would go as far as to say that of the FA's we have at least a realistic chance of acquiring, he is the best. That being said, we'd have to either trade or amnesty Jose to bring in Dragic, b/c if he isn't going to start, it's not worth it. (furthermore, I really want to hold to Jose, then re-sign him for cheap as a backup and a future member of the coaching staff).

Louis Williams: I'd love to add sweet Lou, but can he be more than a sixth man?

Eric Gordon: INJURIES!

Aaron Brooks: He played very well in China, but can he do that in the NBA? Is he really a huge upgrade over Jerryd Bayless?

Comment

Working...
                                X