Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matt Devlin on TNT

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Matt Devlin on TNT

Our own Matt Devlin is once again doing play-by-play for TNT's playoff games. The other night John Hollinger tweeted:

@johnhollinger

Matt Devlin's got his "this is so much better than covering the Ben Uzoh-led Raptors" voice going.

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger...78744929136641

Maybe some Raptors fans are too hard on Devlin. TNT adds him to their team every year so there's obviously industry respect for the guy. Could it be that Matt's mindless chatter with Leo and Jack is only there to distract viewers from the fact there's really nothing exciting happening on the court at many Raptor games?

Post Thanks / Like

Or perhaps the problem is Leo and Jack... they are pathetic. Given how much better Devlin is during the playoffs, I'd be happy trying him out with new color guys, before writing him off entirely. I am soooo sick of Leo and Jack!

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly believe that after Chuck left, MLSE wanted someone that was similarly 'cooky and crazy'.
    Devlin was/is a very highly respected commentator.

Devlin is just doing his best Chuck Swirsky impersonation when he's doing Raptors games.
    Which is why I hate him.
    "That was Nasty right? Cocked that Joint back and banged on 'em." -James Johnson

Raptors Republic Starter TheR3dMenace's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Devlin is your generic sports broadcaster with a ronald reagan haircut. That's how he gets the TNT gig.

I'm not saying he's bad, just bland

Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I find he's still terrible on TNT, its like he never quite knows what to say when stuff is happening, which kinda is the point of a play-by-play broadcaster

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to need a pinned "all things Devlin" thread soon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptomist wrote: View Post
    Our own Matt Devlin is once again doing play-by-play for TNT's playoff games. The other night John Hollinger tweeted:

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger...78744929136641

Maybe some Raptors fans are too hard on Devlin. TNT adds him to their team every year so there's obviously industry respect for the guy. Could it be that Matt's mindless chatter with Leo and Jack is only there to distract viewers from the fact there's really nothing exciting happening on the court at many Raptor games?
    ...yes

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Heard his voice in the Thunder-Mavericks game,wanted to point it out but didn't know which section to start the thread in :P

Raptors Republic Starter minks77's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Devlin has gotta go. If you think he isn't as bad it's probably a result of better basketball but he himself is still terrible.He was doing a reg season game a few weeks ago with Chris Webber and Webber had to keep bringing him back on topic. Devlin just goes off on such boring tangents and meaningless diatribes. Plus he still gets players names wrong, pulls out meaningless stats and has no "cool" factor to his kitsch.

Post Thanks / Like

PUNJABI was epic tho

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't think Devlin's all that bad. I don't look for announcers to entertain me (that's what the sport is for). The announcer's job is to tell me what's happening, and for the most part, that's what Devlin does.

I agree he goes off on tangents every once in a while, but with so much losing over the past few years, I can't really blame the guy for attempting to talk about something else for brief moments.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude whoever said Jack sucks needs to leave right now. Jack Armstrong is a boss, he is probably my fav commentator right now. He knows what to say and i love his signature line "GET THAT GARBAGE OUTTA HERE"(Brooklyn accent)

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the best play-by-play guys in the business are Mike Breen and Dan Shulman.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Dude whoever said Jack sucks needs to leave right now. Jack Armstrong is a boss, he is probably my fav commentator right now. He knows what to say and i love his signature line "GET THAT GARBAGE OUTTA HERE"(Brooklyn accent)
    What about his 10 minutes of rambling about cell phones or his minimum of 3 other compltely incoherent senile tangents he takes each game? He knows his stuff, but he spends half his time reliving his college days or talking about stuff completely unrelated to the game being played right in front of him. I want a color commentator who stays on topic and talks about current, relevant information pertaining to the game, the team and the league. Jack doesn't do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    What about his 10 minutes of rambling about cell phones or his minimum of 3 other compltely incoherent senile tangents he takes each game? He knows his stuff, but he spends half his time reliving his college days or talking about stuff completely unrelated to the game being played right in front of him. I want a color commentator who stays on topic and talks about current, relevant information pertaining to the game, the team and the league. Jack doesn't do that.
    Think about how the raptors have been playing these past 2 seasons... if we were a playoff team he wouldn't be talking nonsense but Matt and Jack need to have some way to keep the fans entertained when watching and losing. Plus most of those off topic conversations are started by Matt not Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jack was like that long before the Raps sucked this bad. Besides, my first comment was to get rid of Matt, Jack, Leo and start fresh. I think they're all pathetic.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with leo and matt but not jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Remember the days when Rod Black used to do play-by-play? I don't miss that era. Thankfully, I'll never hear the term, "back-handed jam" ever again.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no issues with Matt, Jack or Leo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information