Matt Devlin on TNT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt Devlin on TNT

Our own Matt Devlin is once again doing play-by-play for TNT's playoff games. The other night John Hollinger tweeted:

@johnhollinger

Matt Devlin's got his "this is so much better than covering the Ben Uzoh-led Raptors" voice going.

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger...78744929136641

Maybe some Raptors fans are too hard on Devlin. TNT adds him to their team every year so there's obviously industry respect for the guy. Could it be that Matt's mindless chatter with Leo and Jack is only there to distract viewers from the fact there's really nothing exciting happening on the court at many Raptor games?

Or perhaps the problem is Leo and Jack... they are pathetic. Given how much better Devlin is during the playoffs, I'd be happy trying him out with new color guys, before writing him off entirely. I am soooo sick of Leo and Jack!

Comment

I honestly believe that after Chuck left, MLSE wanted someone that was similarly 'cooky and crazy'.
      Devlin was/is a very highly respected commentator.

Devlin is just doing his best Chuck Swirsky impersonation when he's doing Raptors games.
      Which is why I hate him.

Comment

Devlin is your generic sports broadcaster with a ronald reagan haircut. That's how he gets the TNT gig.

I'm not saying he's bad, just bland

Comment

I find he's still terrible on TNT, its like he never quite knows what to say when stuff is happening, which kinda is the point of a play-by-play broadcaster

Comment

We're going to need a pinned "all things Devlin" thread soon
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Raptomist wrote: View Post
              Our own Matt Devlin is once again doing play-by-play for TNT's playoff games. The other night John Hollinger tweeted:

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger...78744929136641

Maybe some Raptors fans are too hard on Devlin. TNT adds him to their team every year so there's obviously industry respect for the guy. Could it be that Matt's mindless chatter with Leo and Jack is only there to distract viewers from the fact there's really nothing exciting happening on the court at many Raptor games?
              ...yes

Comment

Heard his voice in the Thunder-Mavericks game,wanted to point it out but didn't know which section to start the thread in :P
                TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Devlin has gotta go. If you think he isn't as bad it's probably a result of better basketball but he himself is still terrible.He was doing a reg season game a few weeks ago with Chris Webber and Webber had to keep bringing him back on topic. Devlin just goes off on such boring tangents and meaningless diatribes. Plus he still gets players names wrong, pulls out meaningless stats and has no "cool" factor to his kitsch.
                  LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

PUNJABI was epic tho

Comment

I personally don't think Devlin's all that bad. I don't look for announcers to entertain me (that's what the sport is for). The announcer's job is to tell me what's happening, and for the most part, that's what Devlin does.

I agree he goes off on tangents every once in a while, but with so much losing over the past few years, I can't really blame the guy for attempting to talk about something else for brief moments.

Comment

Dude whoever said Jack sucks needs to leave right now. Jack Armstrong is a boss, he is probably my fav commentator right now. He knows what to say and i love his signature line "GET THAT GARBAGE OUTTA HERE"(Brooklyn accent)

Comment

IMO, the best play-by-play guys in the business are Mike Breen and Dan Shulman.

Comment

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Dude whoever said Jack sucks needs to leave right now. Jack Armstrong is a boss, he is probably my fav commentator right now. He knows what to say and i love his signature line "GET THAT GARBAGE OUTTA HERE"(Brooklyn accent)
                              What about his 10 minutes of rambling about cell phones or his minimum of 3 other compltely incoherent senile tangents he takes each game? He knows his stuff, but he spends half his time reliving his college days or talking about stuff completely unrelated to the game being played right in front of him. I want a color commentator who stays on topic and talks about current, relevant information pertaining to the game, the team and the league. Jack doesn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X