Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "Casey: Valanciunas' Worst Case Scenaro Is Noah" & "Koreen: Too much hype?"

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    He is not an above average rebounder.
    I don't see how you can state that JV in not an above average rebounder when he finished 2nd in both the VTB league and the Eurocup. I decided to look at his stats in both those competitions to see if there is any validity to your statement. In the last 26 games in the VTB and the Eurocup since January 3rd, JV collected 71 offensive rebound, 146 defensive, totaling 217. That averages to 8.3 rebounds per game. In those 26 games he's averaged 24.5 minutes a game (638 total minutes), so that would give him a PER 36 minutes average of 12.2 [(217/638)*36]. How is that not an above average rebounder. You guys can go through the game logs and challenge my numbers. But he looks like a fairly good rebounder to me.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    I don't see how you can state that JV in not an above average rebounder when he finished 2nd in both the VTB league and the Eurocup. I decided to look at his stats in both those competitions to see if there is any validity to your statement. In the last 26 games in the VTB and the Eurocup since January 3rd, JV collected 71 offensive rebound, 146 defensive, totaling 217. That averages to 8.3 rebounds per game. In those 26 games he's averaged 24.5 minutes a game (638 total minutes), so that would give him a PER 36 minutes average of 12.2 [(217/638)*36]. How is that not an above average rebounder. You guys can go through the game logs and challenge my numbers. But he looks like a fairly good rebounder to me.
    I'm glad you did go through. I agree with your assessment but did not have the time to do so.

The only way I could possibly see the statement having even a shred of validity would be from the context he does not get as many as he should. This would be due to a young, developing man going against mature men. If you look at it from that context, then it becomes downright scary his rebounding abilities in a couple of years of maturation and training.

I very well could be a biased homer looking through rose coloured glasses though.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    in his prime I see 14 - 15pts 9 - 12 boards 2 - 3 blocks

sort of a Dikembe Olajuwon hybrid
    Dikember Mutombo, 4-time defensive player of the year, 8-time all star (in a period the league was loaded with great centers)
    Hakeem Olajuwon, 2-time defensive player of the year, 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP, HoF, arguably one of the 10 best players to ever play the game.

I think people easily forget how great Mutombo and Olajuwon were as basketball players. But maybe it's the just the long English Canadian tradition of dismissing everything French.

Je me souviens.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I very well could be a biased homer looking through rose coloured glasses though.
    You? No!!!!

I will be happy if he averages 7.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in 26 minutes per game in his rookie season.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    You? No!!!!

I will be happy if he averages 7.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in 26 minutes per game in his rookie season.
    I've said 6-7 points and 6-7 rebounds would be a big deal. I would be very happy with that.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Dikember Mutombo, 4-time defensive player of the year, 8-time all star (in a period the league was loaded with great centers)
    Hakeem Olajuwon, 2-time defensive player of the year, 1 MVP, 2 Finals MVP, HoF, arguably one of the 10 best players to ever play the game.

I think people easily forget how great Mutombo and Olajuwon were as basketball players. But maybe it's the just the long English Canadian tradition of dismissing everything French.

Je me souviens.
    i think your mixing africa up with france
    of the two hakeem was the only great player

dikembe was a one sided defensive player who at his peak i would take the worm over 10 times out of 10 for my team

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to be a versatile defender when you're 7foot2. I still would take Mutombo over Rodman if I was starting a new team, because its much easier to build a defense around one of the greatest shot-blockers in nba history, plus Dikembes offense was far better than Rodmans

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    i think your mixing africa up with france
    They both speak French.

"Je me souviens' is the official motto of Québec and you just proved my point.

of the two hakeem was the only great player
    Yes, 8-time all stars are a dime a dozen ... [/SACARSM]

dikembe was a one sided defensive player who at his peak i would take the worm over 10 times out of 10 for my team
    If your best counter is that you would take a HoF over a great player, then said player was great.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

They both speak French.

"Je me souviens' is the official motto of Québec and you just proved my point.

Yes, 8-time all stars are a dime a dozen ... [/SACARSM]

If your best counter is that you would take a HoF over a great player, then said player was great.
    Dikembe had a great personality and a big heart too and he will be a Hall of famer some day, being second all-time leader in blocks helps too

Post Thanks / Like

Without playing too much into the hype...I see Valanciunas, in his prime, as a cross between Michael Jordan and Jesus Christ

Post Thanks / Like

i see your MJ and raise you Fergie
    @jerboat

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information