Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    The incentive for Philly is the $30 million owed to Iguodala over the next 2 years.
    Maybe, but they don't have to pay anyone for at least two years anyway (Turner and Holiday still on rookie contracts), and it's not like they're dangerously close to the luxury tax threshold. I just don't think the Sixers would consider trading Iggy at this point if it's not an immediate upgrade. But then again, I'm not Rod Thorn, so what do I know?

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
      Maybe, but they don't have to pay anyone for at least two years anyway (Turner and Holiday still on rookie contracts), and it's not like they're dangerously close to the luxury tax threshold. I just don't think the Sixers would consider trading Iggy at this point if it's not an immediate upgrade. But then again, I'm not Rod Thorn, so what do I know?
      I think that teams like New Orleans (Okafor & Ariza) and Memphis (Gay or even S&T for Mayo to avoid him bolting as FA) are the most likely candidates. NO is in full rebuild, needs to re-sign Gordon and surround him with decent talent and Memphis seems unlikely to be able to afford another $8-10M+ player.

That's why it's great time to be BC, because he's got options; one way gets an overpaid veteran and perhaps another lottery pick, while the other way potentially gives up the one lottery pick they have to land a stud wing.

I still don't rule out either multiple deals or even BC purchasing a late 1st round pick. That would enable him to possibly trade away one/multiple 1st round picks and even still potentially keep a lottery pick as well.

Something like this:

Before July 1st
      - use TPE & 2 2nd round picks to acquire Ariza and NO's 2nd lottery pick

After July 1st
      - purchase a mid-late lottery pick from a team like the Lakers who often sell them

After July 1st
      - trade Amir & JJ & DD & 2 1st round picks (1 lottery, 1 late) to Memphis for Gay

Net effect:
      - the Raps wind up with Gay (replaces DD) & Ariza (replaces JJ), while clearing up the logjam at PF (Amir)
      - the Raps are left with 1 lottery pick, to target a SG (ie: Beal if lucky or perhaps Lamb) or a backup PG to mentor behind Calderon (ie: Marshall or Lillard)
      - Raps have assets (Ariza, 2013 1st round pick) and exceptions (MLE, etc..) to further add to the roster

C: Valanciunas, veteran C (could even re-sign Gray to vet minimum)
      PF: Bargnani, Davis, Kleiza
      SF: Gay, Ariza (trade bait), Kleiza
      SG: DP/MLE*, Forbes
      PG: Calderon, DP/MLE*

* DP = draft pick, MLE = free agent signed with mid-level exception
      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu May 3, 2012, 06:08 PM.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
        I think changes are coming in Philly - just a matter of what the change is.

They have a new owner who is ready to win.
        They have some of the worst attendance in the league.
        They are stuck in purgatory it seems after a promising start this year.
        Maybe with Derrick Rose out they might have a chance to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I don't know what the answer is but the 76ers remind me of the Raptors a few years ago - good enough to delay their vacation 2 weeks after the regular season. To me that is NBA purgatory.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I think changes are coming in Philly - just a matter of what the change is.

They have a new owner who is ready to win.
          They have some of the worst attendance in the league.
          They are stuck in purgatory it seems after a promising start this year.
          Maybe with Derrick Rose out they might have a chance to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I don't know what the answer is but the 76ers remind me of the Raptors a few years ago - good enough to delay their vacation 2 weeks after the regular season. To me that is NBA purgatory.
          I agree that chances are on the way for Philly. Especially if they lose this series to the Bulls(which I think is very possible). In that case I think Iggy would be the first one out. They would easily feature ET and Holiday as the franchises. I think all it would take is ED(who I still believe in and hopes he stays) and are pick.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Lately I have been toying with the idea of the Raps taking on Joe Johnson's albatross, but only if Al Horford was coming too.

Something like:

Calderon + Bargnani
            for
            Joe Johnson + Horford

I know it would weigh the team down for the forseeable future; but with Val on a rookie deal until 2016, it's not that crazy.

...ok, maybe it is.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I'd like him if he could play SF. Given his size and athleticism, I don't see why he couldn't. I think he'd definitely be worth the two Johnsons and our 1st round pick.
              Smith has already proven in the past that he can play the 3 really well.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Smith has already proven in the past that he can play the 3 really well.
                I'd be on board with that, but I think the team needs to move DeRozan if they bring in Smith. There's just too little 3pt shooting with a Val/Bargs/Smoove/DeRoz/Caleron lineup. Bargs has proven inconsistent from deep and Calderon doesn't take enough of 'em.

Comment

Uhh, now I feel gross for calling DeRozan "Deroz". Douchiness is too great a price for brevity.

Comment

Thomas A. wrote: View Post
                    I'd be on board with that, but I think the team needs to move DeRozan if they bring in Smith. There's just too little 3pt shooting with a Val/Bargs/Smoove/DeRoz/Caleron lineup. Bargs has proven inconsistent from deep and Calderon doesn't take enough of 'em.
                    i think that with smith at the 3 dd would have a lot of room on the floor. defenses would have to respect bargs, smith and jose for the long ball even if its inconsistent the shot would have to be respected, opening a lot of room on the floor for slashing and cuts. 1 slasher to the basket a roller to the basket and two big men threats from 15-20 feet is a nice open court.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      i think that with smith at the 3 dd would have a lot of room on the floor. defenses would have to respect bargs, smith and jose for the long ball even if its inconsistent the shot would have to be respected, opening a lot of room on the floor for slashing and cuts. 1 slasher to the basket a roller to the basket and two big men threats from 15-20 feet is a nice open court.
                      Fair point. More important than anything, Smith passes the talent test. The Raptors need elite players, not just good ones.

Comment

If - and that's a huge if Atlanta agrees to that deal, Colangelo will have to sign Smith long term - and that's a huge if as well. He's an expiring next season. It would look really bad to have Smith just for one season.

Comment

Trade Amir for Okafor
                          Trade Forbes and both 2nd round pick for Mo Williams
                          Draft Kendall Marshall

Valanciunas/Okafor/Gray/Alabi
                          Bargnani/Davis/Magloire
                          DeRozan/Johnson/Kleiza
                          Bayless/Williams/Anderson
                          Calderon/Marshall

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                            Trade Amir for Okafor
                            Trade Forbes and both 2nd round pick for Mo Williams
                            Draft Kendall Marshall

Valanciunas/Okafor/Gray/Alabi
                            Bargnani/Davis/Magloire
                            DeRozan/Johnson/Kleiza
                            Bayless/Williams/Anderson
                            Calderon/Marshall
                            So you want to waste cap space on Okafor and Mo Williams? Gross. Both the Hornets and Clippers would take those deals, run and hide. It doesn't make much sense from a Raptors stand point.

Comment

Why would NO or Clipps make those trades?

Comment

Mango, those 2 guys would bring stability to a roster fulled with young players. Both are experienced and talented guys, but they are still relatively young. Mo is definitely an upgrade over Forbes, and Okafor is a real C. We need veteran savy, and we need talent. Those players bring both. And I don't think we could get much better without loosing huge parts of our core.

Hello, NO would do this because Okafor is payed a whole lot of money and he's irrelevant to their team. Clipps would do this because they would get something out of Mo instead of getting nothing or pay him 8,5 M$.
                                Last edited by charlesnba23; Thu May 3, 2012, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X