Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donfiasko wrote: View Post
    Just went to the hoopshype site and what's the headline - Kirilenko close to signing with the Nets. Good news.
    That would make sense....work for his Russian godfather.

Comment

brand, martin or gay for me in that list. i doubt new orleans or detroit would give up a pick with those players but if they would okafor and gordon would also be good vet bench players if a bit pricey.

don't really want josh smith, good player and always plays hard but a bit of a whiner and lets it get out to the public when he is unhappy.

i agree granger won't get traded. and indi is also a team with cap space so no need to get rid of a contract.

philly would probably get rid of a pick which should be in our pg of the future range if marshall doesn't go early for brand and he would be a great mentor for davis and i expect we would be sending amir out in that trade. brand and ed could fight for minutes and it gives ed a much stronger player to practice against. with the bonus of brand being a max contract coming off the books next year for a nice deadline deal.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        Josh Smith is the answer to many of our problems. I worry about his locker room presence.
        Rudy Gay...I'd do it, likely not going anywhere though Randolph would be out before him.
        Parker
        We need superstars or slightly below superstar status players. Only the three above players from the list qualify, in my humble opinion. We are in a dangerous position where, instead of moving ahead, we could be saddling the franchise with a bad contract that would set them back for years!!! This franchise player will be the centrepiece of the Raptors and define their success for years. Not to take away from how critical this draft is but this trade is even more critical to making the Raptors a champion - if it's an albatross around the franchises neck, it's back to rebuilding and a new job for BC!!!

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I understand he is core player/untouchable on the Rockets.
          Even after Dragics run and a swap of first rounders?
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I think that Danny Granger would be the most likely. Roy Hibbert is a restricted free-agent this off season. He is more important than Granger. They will probably need to clear money for him. After an All-Star season I except a huge pay day. They would already have a replacement in George. If the rumors of Gordon wanting to go back home are true, than that makes it even more likely. Imagine they lose this series to ORL too? Danny would out there so fast! Make the call BC.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Aren't we assuming that BC would not use the cap space for a UFA (eg. Dragic, Ilyasova) or am I missing something?
              c_bcm wrote: View Post
              I would have to go through a thorough list of NBA salaries to know who is reasonable to go after. But from your list the only one I'd be interested in is Rudy Gay. I highly doubt he is gettable.
              I would consider going after Ilyasova, but that wouldn't require a trade. Signing Ersan would also allow us to maintain some level of financial flexibility, which can never be a bad thing for this rebuilding process.
              More flexibility if cap space is used before July 1st.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ground-running

Comment

I understand he is core player/untouchable on the Rockets.
                He is unrestricted FA. We can throw money at him and rockets wont even have a chance to match the offer. I suppose they could but he woudn't be obligated to take it and sign with them. We can offer him something the Rockets can't on top of the money. Starting PG position and playing time. He'll have to split time with Lowry if he goes back to the Rockets.

Comment

I would like Josh Smith if we knew we could re-sign him right away, he is only under contract for 2012/13 and is 26 years old.
                  I do think Granger could be had as well, Indiana has a stud in George and he has good knees as well. I would hate to see Granger turn into Brandon Roy. While he could be had, not sure I want him.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I would take Okafor if we got NO's 10th pick from Minnesota, perhaps trade Kleiza or Amir. He might restrict our cap space for a few years but I think he would be great piece as Jonas is learning the game. With two draft picks we may be able to grab Lillard and Lamb. Or perhaps use our two 2nd rounders to move up to grab Barnes, and then draft Lamb if he's available at 10.

Jonas/Okafor/Amir
                    Bargs/Ed/Amir
                    Barnes/J.J./Forbes
                    D.D./Lamb/Forbes
                    Calderon/?? (Dragic if we have the cap room)/????

That's a pretty sweet line-up

Comment

From the initial list, on order of preference:

Gay (I believe unlikely, but with the tax line you never know ... Memphis' playoff performance may also play a factor)
                      Granger (Great duo with George, but maybe they see George as the future SF ... we could send Demar)
                      Iggy (Most likely, and maybe the best fit under Casey - but not a fantastic 3 point shooter ... a win, but not huge)
                      ... stop.

These are the easiest moves, roster-wise ... meaning, they don't require other big pieces to be swapped, and they don't create roster holes with the transaction.
                      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I have been thinking about this statement for a couple of days now and the types of players who could be a possible target under such thinking.

Lets make an assumption that young players BC speaks of on Raptors roster are 25 or under. That gives us a list of (2012-13 salaries in brackets): Amir Johnson ($6M), DeMar DeRozan ($3.3M), Ed Davis ($2.2M), and James Johnson ($2.8M).

Based on these comments, I am interpreting BC to suggest a big contract ($12M or more) coming back to Toronto is a possibility. With the $12M in cap space BC mentions, that gives the Raptors the opportunity to take on a contract up to $14.2M-$18M in any trading involving 1 young player and the draft pick (or just 1 player as the pick has no monetary value in a trade).

Looking around the league at players with contracts of $12M up to $18M who realistically could be had (i.e. LeBron James is not included nor is Kevin Durant) and the Raptors might actually want (in my opinion, add yours below), we get:

Atlanta: Josh Smith
                        Chicago: Luol Deng
                        Detroit: Ben Gordon (a pick would have to be coming with it, imo)
                        Houston: Kevin Martin
                        Indiana: Danny Granger
                        Memphis: Rudy Gay
                        New Orleans: Emeka Okafor (a pick would have to be coming with it, imo)
                        Philadelpia: Andre Igoudala, Elton Brand (a pick(s) and/or young player would have to come with Elton Brand, imo)
                        San Antonio: Tony Parker, Manu Ginobilli
                        Utah: Al Jefferson
                        Washington: Nene, Rashard Lewis ('only' $13M guaranteed next year and of course a pick would have to be coming back, imo)

The above shows what big contract players are out there. By no means does the inclusion above mean I think the Raptors can or should get that player - just showing the contracts out there that fits the assumption of BC's comments.

Also, multiple players coming back (saw 2 guys making $6-7M) in a trade and multi-team deals are not considered because that would be pretty much impossible to narrow down.

So any of the listed players seems worth a young player and possibly a pick?
                        Not to be a downer, but what is the "unique" situation BC is referring to? Does he mean that we're in a unique situation which many other NBA teams are not in? Like nobody else has $$ to spend along with picks and young players to package? I'm pretty sure there are so we're in the same position we're always in where we are in competition for free agents. Nothing unique or new about that.

Comment

More flexibility if cap space is used before July 1st.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...ground-running
                          Sure. But in general I don't think it s a good idea to blow all of our cap space this summer. I am more excited about a steady rise in the standings over the years than I am about going from zero to hero. Go with a younger prospect that is maybe a bit cheaper. At the same time go after the older statesmen who are looking for 1 last contract and can bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the team. This gives us more flexibility moving forward than tying up a big contract into 1 player who is mid career or even on the decline.
                          Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                            Not to be a downer, but what is the "unique" situation BC is referring to? Does he mean that we're in a unique situation which many other NBA teams are not in? Like nobody else has $$ to spend along with picks and young players to package? I'm pretty sure there are so we're in the same position we're always in where we are in competition for free agents. Nothing unique or new about that.
                            The uniqueness is the flexibility before July 1st. After July 1st, then what you are saying is correct - a lot of teams will have young pieces and money to spend.

Prior to July 1st, no one can 'spend', just trade. Situations where Toronto can benefit:

1) a luxury tax team looking to shed salary before the tax bill on June 30th,
                            2) a team stuck in mediocre purgatory looking to rebuild on the fly at the draft,
                            3) a team looking to shed salary prior to free agency to become a player in free agency,
                            4) a team looking to shed salary because the owner is looking to cut costs.

The only team in the same situation as Toronto is Sacramento and Utah with their TPE ($10.5M).

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                              Sure. But in general I don't think it s a good idea to blow all of our cap space this summer. I am more excited about a steady rise in the standings over the years than I am about going from zero to hero. Go with a younger prospect that is maybe a bit cheaper. At the same time go after the older statesmen who are looking for 1 last contract and can bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the team. This gives us more flexibility moving forward than tying up a big contract into 1 player who is mid career or even on the decline.
                              And what happens if draft pick or young player never reach potential? What happens if free agents never flock to Toronto? With extensions coming up on Bayless and possibly Gray this year and DeMar and JJ next year, there will be little cap space to use.

Now is the time to acquire assets.

Acquiring one big contract is not necessarily the only way to go about using cap space.

Comment

Acquiring one big contract is not necessarily the only way to go about using cap space.
                                Absolutely correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X