Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Raptors Republic Starter Katman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    If Phoenix wanted something for Nash. They would have traded him.
    I think they would like to get rid of Nash without getting crusified by their fans. That's why they will offer him a low ball offer, so he leaves. They might be able to sell it to their fans if Nash says he's like to play in Canada to finish his career.

Post Thanks / Like

If Phoenix wanted something for Nash. They would have traded him.
    Both Nash and Phoenix had an agreement at the start of the year that Phoenix wouldn't trade him as long as he did not request a trade. From what I've read, neither team or player wanted a Dwight/Melo situation on their hands.

Given he was not traded (i.e. word kept by Suns) and he did not request a trade private or more importantly publicly (i.e. Nash kept his word), I think both parties will work together to see that Phoenix does not lose him for nothing other than cap space and Nash can get market value with a team that is not gutted.

Again, this is just my opinion based on all the articles written on the matter this year that I have read - not claiming it as fact.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Under the new CBA, teams that are under the luxury tax are not held to 125% + 100K. Only luxury tax teams are still held to that requirement.

Teams under the tax can have trades where contracts exchanged are 150% or a difference of $5M - whichever is smaller.

So the value of contracts going to Phoenix in any sign and trade that brings Nash back $10M would have to be around $6.7M.
    Thanks for the clarification
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you aren't considering the other ways of making transactions.
    I realize that free agency and trades are options too. But it's known that Toronto isn't a desirable market for would-be free agents, and the few who are interested, usually require an above-market contract. I'd rather not rely on this route to improving the team.

As for trades, in order to get quality, you have to give up quality. And I'm not sure if we have the assets to land an "elite" player without completely gutting our current roster.

The easiest way to build this team, is through the draft. Hence the aversion to the 7-10th seed range.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks have committed $60.9 million to just six players and while this group can win 50 games, they can’t get out of the first or second round of the playoffs as currently constructed. It has been suggested on numerous occasions that the All-Star snub Josh Smith is the logical player to be traded.

Smith will earn $13.2 million in the final year of his contract next season and any team acquiring his services will have to take this into consideration, but Smith is precisely the type of player that could elevate Toronto into serious playoff contention. A lottery pick and some young talent should get Atlanta’s attention.

If Hawks want to add depth and the potential to improve without risking luxury tax, their alternatives are very limited. As HOOPSWORLD’s Jason Fleming explained, “If they want to sign veteran minimum salaries – like how they signed Tracy McGrady, Vladimir Radmanovic, Jason Collins, Jerry Stackhouse, Willie Green and Jannero Pargo last summer – they will be in the luxury tax.”
    Chicago Bulls

It is expected the Bulls will be without All-Star Derrick Rose all of next season and if All-Star Luol Deng participates in the Olympics, Deng could miss the start of the season recovering from delayed wrist surgery. With $60 million committed to just six players and three non-guaranteed deals totaling $12.5 million, the Bulls could be deep into luxury tax territory and fighting to just make the playoffs next year if something doesn’t change.

Chicago has the option to eat the luxury taxes and keep this highly successful team together or they could choose to take advantage of lower expectations to restructure their roster. If Chicago restructures, their options include not picking up the non-guaranteed contracts, amnesty of Carlos Boozer or trading Luol Deng, and it would take at least two of these options to make a significant difference to their payroll.

If Chicago is willing to take back a lottery pick, a young player and cap space for Deng’s $13.3 million salary, Toronto could accommodate them. The Bulls have some tough decisions to make.

Memphis Grizzlies

The Grizzlies have $59.5 million committed to six players next season and must issue qualifying offers to O.J. Mayo, Marreese Speights and Darrell Arthur for a total of $14.4 million or risk losing them to unrestricted free agency this summer. Unfortunately, the small market Grizzlies cannot afford to become a luxury tax team, so something has to give.

While it has been long rumored that Mayo would be traded or lost to free agency, Mayo’s salary alone does not significantly alleviate Memphis’ luxury tax issues and Mayo has proven to be a key player for the Grizzlies over the past four seasons. Somewhat surprisingly, this team enjoyed its greatest success during the 2011 playoffs when Rudy Gay was injured.

Gay is earning a max contract over the next three seasons and receiving a lottery pick, young players and salary cap space could solve Memphis’ luxury tax issues into the foreseeable future. Gay, like Smith or Deng, would instantly move the Raptors into playoff contention.

Oklahoma City Thunder

The Thunder can keep this group of players together next season. Their issue is the pending contract extension talks with James Harden and Serge Ibaka. After next season, Oklahoma City has committed $41.8 million to Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Kendrick Perkins and both Harden and Ibaka can make a case for maximum or near maximum deals.

The minimum for Ibaka was set when DeAndre Jordan received a four-year $43 million contract last summer and Harden could be the best young shooting guard in the league. The Thunder will not part with either of these players easily, but it would be very difficult for this small market team to spend any significant time in luxury tax territory.

An argument can be made that it will be easier for the Thunder to replace Harden’s offense off the bench than Ibaka’s defensive presence and the most effective means of replacing Harden’s contributions in the lineup would be with another young scorer on their rookie deal and a lottery pick.

The Thunder should make their move with these two young stars before contract extension talks begin next season. Allowing either of them to become restricted free agents risks losing them for nothing. Most teams with a lottery pick would put a serious proposal in front of the Thunder if Harden became available.

Colangelo spent this past season creating the maximum financial flexibility possible and protecting his team’s draft status. The first real test of his efforts will come with the NBA draft when all eyes will be on Toronto to see if Colangelo can, indeed, take the first step towards building the contender that he has described. With the recent changes to the collective bargaining agreement and luxury tax rules, he should be able to find a partner with whom to create some draft day fireworks.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/toronto-ra...aft-day-trades

Has Brotherston been hanging out in RR Trade Forum? - lol - Nice to see these ideas in the mainstream but still not sure how credible they are.

Of these ideas:

Atlanta - have Smith sign an extension and OK.

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

OKC - they have over a year plus this doesn't fit in to the idea of taking on a current big money contract.

Of Atlanta and Memphis, I'd rather go Gay with Memphis.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Brotherston been hanging out in RR Trade Forum? - lol - Nice to see these ideas in the mainstream but still not sure how credible they are.

Of these ideas:

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

OKC - they have over a year plus this doesn't fit in to the idea of taking on a current big money contract.

i would like a juice and sandwich

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Of these ideas:

Chicago - no thank you.

Memphis - Yes, please.

Definitely prefer Gay, although his contract scares me.

OKC definitely will not make a move IMO. They have another year with this team to make a championship run, and he is protection for a major injury of one their other players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Maleko wrote: View Post
    Definitely prefer Gay, although his contract scares me.

OKC definitely will not make a move IMO. They have another year with this team to make a championship run, and he is protection for a major injury of one their other players.
    His contract is steep. The 'good' thing is it would be for just 3 seasons. During that time Bargnani is locked up, JV would be locked up, and you could get a few more rotational pieces locked up without having to worry about the new luxury tax.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Calderon
    Derozan
    Josh Smith
    Bargnani
    Val

That is an interesting lineup. Val and Smith together could be amazind defensively. You'd have a combination of rebounding, shot blocking and toughness. It would also free up Barngani to do his thing on offense. Calderon could have a feild day on the pick n' roll with Smith and Val.

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Calderon
    Derozan
    Josh Smith
    Bargnani
    Val

That is an interesting lineup. Val and Smith together could be amazind defensively. You'd have a combination of rebounding, shot blocking and toughness. It would also free up Barngani to do his thing on offense. Calderon could have a feild day on the pick n' roll with Smith and Val.
    The problem becomes three point shooting though Demar would have to come off the bench and maybe since you have a long and strong josh smith at three you can afford to have Bayless start at the two?
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Calderon
    Derozan
    Josh Smith
    Bargnani
    Val
    We still don't have that one player capable of creating his own shot though. If we have serious playoff aspirations next year, we need a player (preferably a wing), who we can give the ball to in short-clock, iso situations, and say, "win us the game". I don't think Smith is that guy.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

No way the Raptors land Josh Smith without at least one or maybe both of Bargnani and DeRozan heading to Atlanta.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Jon. If we could just draft Beal it would solve some of the 3 point shooting issues. We need some luck on the
    30th for that to happen though. Not a huge fan of Bayless starting at SG as he's quite small to guard that position. It makes sense as far as the shooting needs go though.

@ Nilanka. The only issue I have with Gay is the contract. If you pick up that monster contract and you're not getting a top 10 - 15 player or a guy that is a proven leader then is it worth it? We can make it to the playoffs without a closer, but going after Gay means you're going after a championship because it doesn't give you much flexibility to do anything else. I don't think the 2012-2013 Raptors are ready to go after a championship yet. Still, if we sign Gay it would be the closest thing to replacing Carter since VC left. The wing position has been sorely lacking since.

@ Apollo. There you go making sense again. I'm hoping Atlanta realizes how bad they screwd up by giving Joe Johnson a max contract. Since then they gave Horford a big contract as well and it has to be sinking in that they are never going to seriously contend with the current roster and that moving Smith for cap space releif is their best option until they figure out what to do with Joe Johnson's contract. Although I wouldn't mind moving either one of DeRozan or Bargnani and assets for Smith it would be a bit much to try and replace both.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Nilanka. The only issue I have with Gay is the contract. If you pick up that monster contract and you're not getting a top 10 - 15 player or a guy that is a proven leader then is it worth it? We can make it to the playoffs without a closer, but going after Gay means you're going after a championship because it doesn't give you much flexibility to do anything else. I don't think the 2012-2013 Raptors are ready to go after a championship yet. Still, if we sign Gay it would be the closest thing to replacing Carter since VC left. The wing position has been sorely lacking since.
    Going after Gay only makes sense if you believe that he hasn't yet reached his potential, and that he should be able to play at a high level for another 5 years (at least).

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Jon. If we could just draft Beal it would solve some of the 3 point shooting issues. We need some luck on the
    30th for that to happen though. Not a huge fan of Bayless starting at SG as he's quite small to guard that position. It makes sense as far as the shooting needs go though.
    How do you propose we,
    1.Win the lottery and get into the top 3
    2.Keep Bargnani, Jonas, Demar and the pick while picking up Josh Smith?
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Going after Gay only makes sense if you believe that he hasn't yet reached his potential, and that he should be able to play at a high level for another 5 years (at least).
    even at his current level he is not a max contract guy. 16 mill is tooooooooooooo much and hinders our flexibility

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Imagine if Casey worked similar magic on Gay that he did on Bargnani (I know, I know, it was only 13 games.....).

Gay has all the tools to be a lock down defender. Imagine Casey harnessing that 'potential'. The crazy thing (to me at least) is Gay only turns 26 in August).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    even at his current level he is not a max contract guy. 16 mill is tooooooooooooo much and hinders our flexibility
    I think it was Matt who mentioned that he only has 3 years left on his contract. It's not as suffocating as it seems, especially considering we'd be acquiring one of the best SFs in the league, who has potential to get better. If we're banking on Bargnani getting better next season, why are we assuming Gay has plateaued?

Imagine if Casey worked similar magic on Gay that he did on Bargnani (I know, I know, it was only 13 games.....).

Gay has all the tools to be a lock down defender. Imagine Casey harnessing that 'potential'. The crazy thing (to me at least) is Gay only turns 26 in August).
    Yup, assuming Gay buys in (and he should considering the rest of the roster has done so, or risk being an outcast), the Casey-effect should make Gay an even better 2-way player. His contract isn't ideal, but I personally don't think it's a hindrance either. Gay's the type of player we're hoping to acquire in the draft. Whether we draft MKG, or PJ3, we'd be fortunate if either reaches Gay's level of production.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Doesn't this article remind you of a certain Raptor?

David Williams: Fair or not, Rudy Gay is the Grizzlies' Fall Guy

A week later, you can't have a conversation with another Memphian without hearing it.

You don't have to be talking about the Grizzlies, even. You could be talking about religion or ...

First Memphian: Hey, how about this weather we're having?

Second Memphian: I'll like it better, once the Grizzlies get rid of Rudy Gay.

Memphians hate Rudy Gay. I know, hate's a strong word; that's why I chose it. They believe he's to blame for the Grizzlies losing in the first round of the playoffs. They believe the team is doomed to be good-but-not-good-enough as long as he's the so-called "franchise" player.

Apologies to the 12 of you who don't actually hate Gay, and the three of you still undecided. The city has made up its collective mind: Gay makes too much money; he jacks up too many shots; he's not tough enough; he's not clutch enough; he doesn't play hard enough; he doesn't do enough except for when he's trying to do too much; he pouts too much; he shows no emotion; and, on top of all that, he's the antithesis of the Grizzlies' grit-and-grind, rough-and-tumble approach to the game.

I hear it everywhere, from friends and co-workers, from the boss, perfect strangers, talk radio, and my pest-control guy. Mostly, they focus on the money, that five-year, $84 million contract Gay signed in 2010. People talk about Gay's contract as if the money's coming out of their pockets, not Mike Heisley's.

Gay's overpaid, they say. Yeah, most NBA players are. The Clippers' DeAndre Jordan (6-11, 265, 4.1 rebounds a game vs. the Grizzlies in the playoffs) makes $10 million.

But Gay makes so much money, they say, that the small-market Grizzlies can't afford the secondary pieces (backup point guard, 3-point ace) they desperately need.

But the Grizzlies' salary-structure issues have more to do with how -- out of necessity -- they've been built. They couldn't land a franchise-changing draft pick, a la Kevin Durant. They couldn't attract a franchise-changing free agent, a la LeBron James. So they build around a core of several very good players (Gay, Zach Randolph, Marc Gasol, Mike Conley) rather than one or two sublime ones.

As for Gay being "the guy," well, he and Randolph are paid roughly the same, on average, over the courses of their contracts.

The difference is, Randolph is beloved in Memphis. Because he is Memphis, down to his rough edges and troubled past. He's not a pretty player and this is not a pretty town.

So Randolph can take his time coming back from injury -- honestly, didn't you think he could have come back sooner from his Jan. 1 ligament tear?

And Randolph can be, essentially, a bad teammate after the Game 7 loss, saying, in the wake of 3-for-12 shooting, "Get it to me when I'm open."

But like I said, Randolph is beloved. I understand why. We actually like the fact that he doesn't jump very high. We find it endearing that probably a league-high portion of his offensive rebounds come off his own misses. Ah, the big lug. Gotta love him, right?

Randolph is raw and earthy -- if you set his game to music, it would be something from the Stax catalogue, "Born Under a Bad Sign," say. Gay is more Motown, smooth and polished.

I think that's what it comes down to, really. Rudy Gay is too smooth and polished for this town. He doesn't fit. We don't see ourselves in him. Here, smooth and polished generally translates as not trying quite hard enough.

We don't cut the guy much slack, don't give him much leeway. We dwell on the misses at the buzzer, not the makes. When he drives to the basket, takes punishment and scores, we ask why he doesn't do it all the time. We don't acknowledge the strides he's made as an all-around player. As for the strides he still needs to make -- and, yeah, absolutely, there's room for improvement -- we just don't see it happening. Oh, sure, we saw Randolph evolve and improve as a player. But Gay? Nah, the naysayers believe this is all he is; this is all he'll ever be.

Memphis minister: Can I get an amen?

Congregation: Soon as the Grizzlies trade Rudy Gay.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...griz-fall-guy/

Substitute Gay with Bargnani and you'd swear this article was straight from the Toronto Sun!

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto needs to 'buy' a mid-late 1st round pick and then offer it, their top-3 protected 2013 1st round pick, DeRozan and both Johnsons to Memphis for Gay.

DeRozan effectively replaces Gay straight-up. Amir could become their backup PF if D.Arthur becomes too expensive to re-sign. JJ also gives them depth at PF/SF/SG (since DeRozan can play SF/SG). DeRozan/JJ could be the offense/defense rotation at SF, similar to Mayo/Allen at SG for Memphis. They would also get 2 x 1st round picks to add some young talent to their core. Memphis would also save roughly $5M+ each of the next few seasons.

Toronto adds a stud two-way player at SF and clears up the logjam at PF (Amir) & SF (JJ). They could then target a SG with their lottery pick (and/or free agency/trade as well).

LINEUP
    C: Valanciunas, Gray? (or another vet C)
    PF: Bargnani, Davis
    SF: Gay, Kleiza
    SG: ???, Forbes*
    PG: Calderon, ???, Uzoh?

* ideally the Raps would add 2 SGs and a backup PG, pushing Forbes into the role of 3rd string SG
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue May 22nd, 2012 at 10:17 AM.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information