Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebrian wrote: View Post
    Has anyone considered that when Colangelo says we're in a unique position with $12M in cap space before the draft, he's just stating it as fact and means nothing else by it? We had a whole bunch of ideas with our first big TPE and we did a whole lot of nothing with it.

It's like me saying that I am in a unique position from where I am sitting because I have my legs crossed while sitting on my legs on my chair, and I have no socks on my feet and I'm only wearing one shoe. Also, I have a piece of gum stuck on my nose, which I've stretched out so that it's hanging off my nose and I'm swinging my head up and down trying to get the other end of the gum to stick to my forehead.

It's a very unique position that I'm in. Everyone else better watch out!
    i think that bc is in a corner and needs to use the space. the team has to improve a lot this year and i think he will use all the means at his disposal to do it. he seems like a shot down in a blaze of glory kind of guy and i think he likes having a job.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
      Has anyone considered that when Colangelo says we're in a unique position with $12M in cap space before the draft, he's just stating it as fact and means nothing else by it? We had a whole bunch of ideas with our first big TPE and we did a whole lot of nothing with it.

It's like me saying that I am in a unique position from where I am sitting because I have my legs crossed while sitting on my legs on my chair, and I have no socks on my feet and I'm only wearing one shoe. Also, I have a piece of gum stuck on my nose, which I've stretched out so that it's hanging off my nose and I'm swinging my head up and down trying to get the other end of the gum to stick to my forehead.

It's a very unique position that I'm in. Everyone else better watch out!
      This off-season offers his last big opportunity in terms of great flexibility. He has a bunch of young players who will be looking for contract extensions in the coming four years. That alone will kill any future chance of him having this sort of flexibility in Toronto again. If he passes on the cap space, contracts escalate, rookies get signed and the cap space vanishes. It's a lost opportunity to not use the cap space this year. Passing on the big TPE really wasn't a lost opportunity because he had the cap space on the horizon. Had he used the TPE he would have no cap space. He chose to not use the TPE and so he has cap space.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
        Oh c'mon man... I'm sure they would get at least 35 wins with that roster, and that's a minimum, IMO. I'll keep on saying we shouldn't destroy this core. Casey started to build something really solid, why rush it?

Here's a point that I'm really convinced in: To get a guy like Granger, we would need to trade away at least 2 really good young players, let's say our pick and Ed Davis. Granger will be 30 years of age by next season, so we would need to really be in a big win NOW mode. That means getting to our ceiling by 2013. I don't think that's the plan BC and DC hold.

By not doing such a trade and by trading for Emeka and Mo, you have 6 really good players with a lot of potential that are 25 or younger (DeMar, JJ, Ed, Marshall, Bayless, Valanciunas) surrounded by a big bunch of really good young veterans (Bargnani, Calderon, Emeka, Mo, Kleiza, Gray).

Between both scenarios, I'd take the last one anyday of the week. Much safer and much smart, at least IMO, if we want to be competitive long term.
        Even if I agree that this team is capable of winning 35 games. What's the point? The roster still lacks elite talent to transform us into championship contenders. And we're not shitty enough to land a high lotto pick anymore.

We'll forever be stuck in the 7-10 seed range...the absolute worst place for an NBA team to be.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          ...We'll forever be stuck in the 7-10 seed range...the absolute worst place for an NBA team to be.
          7th Pick Overall

Richard Hamilton, Washington, 1999
          Jason Williams, Sacramento, 1998
          Damon Stoudamire, Toronto, 1995
          Kevin Johnson, Cleveland, 1987
          Chris Mullin, Golden State, 1985
          Alvin Robertson, San Antonio, 1984

8th Pick Overall
          Andre Miller, Cleveland, 1999
          Brian Grant, Sacramento, 1994
          Ron Harper, Cleveland, 1986
          Tom Chambers, San Diego, 1981
          Averaged 18.1 ppg and 6.1 rpg in 16 NBA years.

9th Pick Overall
          Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix, 2002
          Shawn Marion, Phoenix, 1999
          Dirk Nowitzki, Milwaukee, 1998
          Tracy McGrady, Toronto, 1997

10th Pick Overall
          Jason Terry, Atlanta, 1999
          Paul Pierce, Boston, 1998
          Eddie Jones, L.A. Lakers, 1994
          Horace Grant, BULLS, 1987

11th Pick Overall
          Bonzi Wells, Detroit, 1998
          Allan Houston, Detroit, 1993
          Terrell Brandon, Cleveland, 1991
          Reggie Miller, Indiana, 1987
          Kiki Vandeweghe, Portland, 1980

13th Pick Overall
          Kobe Bryant, Charlotte, 1996
          Jalen Rose, Denver, 1994
          Karl Malone, Utah, 1985

Now I don't necessarily disagree with yoyu, I'm just saying. And this list is about 8 years old.

Comment

• Some notables from the later half of the last decade:

8th
            Rudy Gay, 2006

9th
            Joakim Noah, 2007

10th
            Andrew Bynum, 2005
            Brook Lopez, 2008
            Brandon Jennings, 2009

Comment

• I think what nilanka was trying to say was 7-10 as in in or on the cusp of the playoffs and on the outside looking in at the second round. The pick would be in the 12 -20 range.

Comment

• What would the Raptors have to give to get Rudy Gay? (knowing that Memphis is loaded with salaries moving forward and the expectation that luxury tax level is not where they want to be)

He seems like an all around player & he's clutch too. It's like Memphis doesn't use him enough because they are that loaded all around. I can honestly see this guy averaging 25+ somewhere else & I'm hoping it's here in Toronto.

His contract ($16+M) warrants such productivity & he can't and won't get that in Memphis.
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                  What would the Raptors have to give to get Rudy Gay? (knowing that Memphis is loaded with salaries moving forward and the expectation that luxury tax level is not where they want to be)

He seems like an all around player & he's clutch too. It's like Memphis doesn't use him enough because they are that loaded all around. I can honestly see this guy averaging 25+ somewhere else & I'm hoping it's here in Toronto.

His contract ($16+M) warrants such productivity & he can't and won't get that in Memphis.
                  jj/demar, ed/amir, 20131st, 2 2012 2nd. id rather not give demar but i think memphis would do it for the cap differnce for ed and the picks and im hoping they prefer jj for being cheaper and defensive at the 3.

Comment

• Memphis lost. More incentive to re-consider their $70M line-up.

RUDY GAY !
                    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
                      I think what nilanka was trying to say was 7-10 as in in or on the cusp of the playoffs and on the outside looking in at the second round. The pick would be in the 12 -20 range.
                      That's how I interpreted it.
                      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        Even if I agree that this team is capable of winning 35 games. What's the point? The roster still lacks elite talent to transform us into championship contenders. And we're not shitty enough to land a high lotto pick anymore.

We'll forever be stuck in the 7-10 seed range...the absolute worst place for an NBA team to be.
                        I think you aren't considering the other ways of making transactions.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

memphis lost. More incentive to re-consider their $70m line-up.

oj mayo !

Comment

• it would be nice to keep it low key in the offseason and keep rebuilding. but knowing BC he might make some big moves, seems like the RR consensus is to go for Gay, Nash / Ilyasova?
                            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Question.

Would the Raptors be able to facilitate a sign and trade if they are over the salary cap ?

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Question.

Would the Raptors be able to facilitate a sign and trade if they are over the salary cap ?
                                who is over the cap? the raps?

because if the numbers work after the signing it should be good to go

Comment

Working...
                                X