Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another reason to love David Aldridge: He wants Raps to win Lottery!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another reason to love David Aldridge: He wants Raps to win Lottery!!

I already love Aldridge more than ANY other sports writer, but to see this, well, this just made me smile.
    In DAs article on NBA.com, he talks about some of the questions following the season.
    And his #1 point, was:

1. I hope the Raptors win the Lottery and get Anthony Davis.

Toronto is like that ex-girlfriend you haven't seen in 15 years. You lost touch with her, and then you heard she got fat and you were secretly happy about it, but then you heard a year ago that she had a lousy boyfriend who treated her bad, and you felt sorry for her and hoped she was doing okay. (If you're a woman reading this, just substitute "boyfriend" for "girlfriend" where appropriate, "him" for "her" and "he" for "she.") [HAHAHAHA]

The point is that that the Raptors are positioned to be relevant again in the Eastern Conference. First and foremost, they have a really good coach in Dwane Casey, who has already put his stamp on the team. The Raptors improved significantly on defense this season, rising from dead-bleeping-last in the league in defensive efficiency a year ago (110 points allowed per 100 possessions) to 12th (101.5 points allowed).

DeMar DeRozan is a capable guard. Andrea Bargnani will never live up to being the first pick in the 2006 Draft, but he isn't a bust by any means; I don't recall Kwame Brown ever averaging 19.5 per game, as Bargnani did this season. (I would be concerned about Bargnani's field goal percentage trend line the last three seasons, however.)

Toronto has pieces, but it doesn't have that centerpiece around which you can build a real contender. Imagine a frontcourt of the 7-foot Bargnani, the 6-foot-11 Davis and 7-foot-2 center Jonas Valenciunas, whom the Raptors took in the first round last season and expect will come over to the NBA next season after spending the year playing in Europe. Imagine what Jose Calderon and DeRozan could do with Davis swatting shots and igniting the fast break.

And imagine what a defensive guy like Casey could do with one of the best defensive prospects in a generation. Casey was new to the NBA when he was on Seattle's bench in the early 1990s, and George Karl unleashed the ferocious Gary Payton on unsuspecting point guards. Another Sonics assistant, Bob Kloppenburg, designed diabolical halfcourt defenses. With Payton attacking, the Sonics became a lethal unit that harassed opponents all the way to the 1996 Finals. If Casey got his hands on Davis, watch out.

Most importantly, Toronto's a great city, with great basketball fans. I miss going there for meaningful games.

Source

Love you too, David.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon May 7th, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful thread.

I love that he calls DeMar "capable". That's pretty much spot on.

Also didn't realize big Val was 7'2. Whoa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Thought this was fair and appropriate.

Me neither! But he is now!! FTW!
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Beautiful thread.

Unless he has grown, he is not. I always thought he was 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe this article is a message from David Stern... Foreshadowing...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Unless he has grown, he is not. I always thought he was 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan.
    I thought this as well, but he's now consistently pegged as a "Legit 7 footer".
    (Never really understood how one can be a non-legit 7 footer, but thats beside the point.)
    Last edited by Joey; Mon May 7th, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tesla wrote: View Post
    Maybe this article is a message from David Stern... Foreshadowing...
    One can dream.

And that picture you've got Tesla is AWESOME. He better have those jerseys hung up in his place in THAT order.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

7'2" is that a typo?

oh and the legit 7 footer thing is just another way to market themselves. In the NBA an inch can mean a million bucks. In other words if you are 7ft without your shoes on its better than being 6'11"....and a 7ft in shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

could Anthony Davis play the 3? I've read a few things about him that said he was a guard for a while before a big growth spurt.

Davis/Bargnani/Valanciunas at the 3/4/5 all more or less interchangeable would be a championship front line 4 years out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    I thought this as well, but he's now consistently pegged as a "Legit 7 footer".
    (Never really understood how one can be a non-legit 7 footer, but thats beside the point.)
    The infamous 1.5" shoes can add.

A barefoot seven footer is gold.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He's only a kid though so maybe he did grow a couple inches. All the better if it's true!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's only a kid though so maybe he did grow a couple inches. All the better if it's true!
    Pfffffft! I am totally hoping it is true. A 7'2" athletic C!!!!! Are you kidding me! *insert any wet pants joke here*

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Clearly, David Aldridge doesn't fancy fat chicks, lol.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, DA is my favourite American basketball writer and it isn't close. That article was odd though..He envisions Bargs or Davis playing the 3? I don't see it. And he must want Charlotte to be terrible forever then...
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    One can dream.

And that picture you've got Tesla is AWESOME. He better have those jerseys hung up in his place in THAT order.
    Thanks, I thought it was pretty awesome when I first saw it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Don't dudes stop growing at 18 and girls 21 or is it vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Everyone is a little different. But in general boys stop growing 17-20 whereas girls stop growing somewhere around 25. But its not like turning off the water at home. There's no master switch that gets thrown at either age.

Post Thanks / Like

These big men aren't your ordinary average Joes. It's not uncommon to see a player not on the draft radar as a freshman rocket into relevancy a year or two later due to a late growth spurt.

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    That's not a universal law. It's the norm but these giants are the normal, are they?

I'm just saying it wouldn't be unsual if he was still growing when putting this in context. Forget about your average 5'9" or 5'10" North American male because JV doesn't fit there. If he is now 7'2" that is fricking amazing for the Raptors. That means more mass to fill out a huge frame. He will be tough to move when he adds on all his adult mass.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

You got it backwards I think, girls stop growing at about 16 and boys around 21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Yeah, DA is my favourite American basketball writer and it isn't close.
    Amen.

That article was odd though..He envisions Bargs or Davis playing the 3? I don't see it.
    Was trying to figure this out. Perhaps he is saying a 3 man Rotation at the 4 and 5 of AD, AB & JV?

And he must want Charlotte to be terrible forever then...
    I believe Charlotte is in a position where they can't actually get any worse than they currently are.
    Break their own record for Worst Team Ever? Doubt it.
    So just about anything helps their situation. Haha
    In Masai we Trust.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information