Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12M in cap space before the draft" Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From your list I'd take on Garcia to get Tyreke ... sending whatever combination of JJ and bigs, 2nd rounders.

I'd also take Brand to get Holiday ... Ideally keeping Demar, in that scenario.

Beyond that:
    From Washington - I'd be targeting Jordan Crawford, and would take Rashard to make it happen ... even send DD

From Minnesota - I'd take Darko, to get Derrick Williams ... for anything from our list.

From San Antonio - I'd take SJax, for a shot at Kawhi ...

From Utah - I'd consider Devin Harris, if it got us Hayward ... maybe ... maybe.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Amir & JJ & both 2nd round picks to NO for Okafor and one of their lottery picks

- great backup C to mentor Valanciunas (Okafor)
      - clear up the logjam at PF (Bargnani & Davis, Amir traded)
      - clear up the potential logjam at SF, should one be drafted (MKG/Barnes & Kleiza, JJ traded)
      - 2nd lottery pick can be used for backup SG/PG (ie: Lamb, Marshall, Lillard - Beal would be lucky steal)

- NO saves a bunch of money and unloads a bad contract (could then amnesty Ariza if they wanted to)
      - NO picks up a PF & SF who could both be valuable starter/rotation players
      - NO still has one lottery pick and adds 2 2nd rounders (#38 & #56)
      I'd do this in a heartbeat, but it'll never happen.

Okafor isn't dead weight: he's a good defensive center with only two years left on his contract, playing for a team that has no reason at all to dump him since they're going to be far enough under the cap to extend Gordon and have no other front court players under contract save Ayon. And on top of that, he'll be an incredibly useful bargaining chip as an expiring contract in the '13-'14 season.

So why would NO trade a lottery pick AND their starting center for a mediocre power forward and a small forward when they've already got two small forwards under contract for next year? This deal would absolutely kill any chance they'd have at extending Gordon.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
        I'd do this in a heartbeat, but it'll never happen.

Okafor isn't dead weight: he's a good defensive center with only two years left on his contract, playing for a team that has no reason at all to dump him since they're going to be far enough under the cap to extend Gordon and have no other front court players under contract save Ayon. And on top of that, he'll be an incredibly useful bargaining chip as an expiring contract in the '13-'14 season.

So why would NO trade a lottery pick AND their starting center for a mediocre power forward and a small forward when they've already got two small forwards under contract for next year? This deal would absolutely kill any chance they'd have at extending Gordon.
        I could argue this either way.

Agreement: good points. Not much to add except they have Jason Smith in addition to Ayon.

Disagreement: it depends on who they draft (Drummond, Robinson, Davis, Sullinger). They might also want to bring back Kaman versus Okafor or they might want to take a run at a younger player via free agency: Lopez, Hibbert, or McGee. Offering Lopez, Hibbert, or McGee the money that Okafor is making might make their current teams blink. At PF they might bring back Landry and they also have Jason Smith in addition to Ayon. Down the stretch, Monty Williams was also very vague on what was going on with his knee. Speculation on my part but it seemed like Williams was saying, "He could be playing. Don't know why he isn't." But again speculation on my part. With a high draft pick and possibly another cheap rookie contract coming back in possibly ED they would free up $12M to spend elsewhere. Finally, a lot of the speculation in New Orleans is if they will use the amnesty on him. It would be great if they did and Toronto scooped him up for $4-5M.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I could argue this either way.

Agreement: good points. Not much to add except they have Jason Smith in addition to Ayon.

Disagreement: it depends on who they draft (Drummond, Robinson, Davis, Sullinger). They might also want to bring back Kaman versus Okafor or they might want to take a run at a younger player via free agency: Lopez, Hibbert, or McGee. Offering Lopez, Hibbert, or McGee the money that Okafor is making might make their current teams blink. At PF they might bring back Landry and they also have Jason Smith in addition to Ayon. Down the stretch, Monty Williams was also very vague on what was going on with his knee. Speculation on my part but it seemed like Williams was saying, "He could be playing. Don't know why he isn't." But again speculation on my part. With a high draft pick and possibly another cheap rookie contract coming back in possibly ED they would free up $12M to spend elsewhere. Finally, a lot of the speculation in New Orleans is if they will use the amnesty on him. It would be great if they did and Toronto scooped him up for $4-5M.
          I don't at all disagree that Okafor is expendable, I just disagree that his contract has negative value and therefor that NO would package a high lottery pick just to get him off their hands. Especially not for Amir, JJ and two 2nd round picks. If the swap was ED and the Raps pick for Okafor and the NO pick then I think NO seriously considers it.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
            I don't at all disagree that Okafor is expendable, I just disagree that his contract has negative value and therefor that NO would package a high lottery pick just to get him off their hands. Especially not for Amir, JJ and two 2nd round picks. If the swap was ED and the Raps pick for Okafor and the NO pick then I think NO seriously considers it.
            In that case I don't think it's worth it for the Raptors. Why would the Raptors take on such a huge contract just to move up a few spots AND giveaway Davis? I agree that Okafor's contract isn't as bad as Baron Davis' was, when he was traded to the Cavs along with the Clippers' 1st pick (which ended up being #1 overall), but I think it's still quite a burdon for a cash-strapped franchise still being run by the league. I think they'd much rather re-sign Kaman and have money to sign free agents, in an attempt to appease Gordon as they re-sign him. If they let Kaman and Gordon walk, it will be quite hard to justify the Paul trade!

I would also assume that it's probably the later of the two NO picks (probably around #10-12) that Toronto would be acquiring. Technically, you could view that as a 25-spot upgrade of the #38 pick, for taking on the big contract and giving up two solid rotation players (Johnsons) and an additional 2nd round pick. Who knows, maybe the Raps even buy a late 1st round pick to include in the deal, leaving themselves with two lottery picks?

Comment

I'd like to see them somehow land Alec Burks in the off-season. I think he's a great diamond in the rough prospect.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I'd like to see them somehow land Alec Burks in the off-season. I think he's a great diamond in the rough prospect.
                What about DD?

Similar game, same position.

Comment

I don't know if they're all that similar. Burks has better handling skills. I don't know why the Raptors would have to choose between one or the other.

Comment

I'm not sure i'd say they have similar game. I don't see Jazz trading him, if anything it'll be one of Jefferson or Millsap.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Chisholm's SF Options

Between Josh Smith, Danny Granger, Tayshaun Prince, Rudy Gay, and Andre Iguodala, Chisholm believes Iguodala is the most likely.

Here he is, the guy every Raptors fan looks at with a possessive hunger, as he should have been theirs from the get-go. Unlike the ever-improving Pacers with Danny Granger, Philadelphia looks to have reached a plateau with Iguodala in toe. Not to mention, with Evan Turner's role growing, Iguodala's place on the roster looks more and more tenuous. The Sixers are facing free agency for high-scorer Lou Williams and starting center Spencer Hawes, so freeing up some cash might be appealing to management, too. His tenacious defense is something Toronto would love to import, and his strong passing and newfound three-point shot (.394 this year) make him an ideal fit. He might cost Toronto an asset like their draft pick or DeMar DeRozan, but if Colangelo feels like he has Iguodala in his grasp he'll have a hard time letting go.

However, If Philly is patient then they'll watch Elton Brand's $18-million contract come off of the books next summer, which might temper their desire to salary-dump Iguodala this year. Also, Philly was a top-three defensive efficiency team this season and a lot of that had to do with Iguodala. Lose him and the team may not only lose its identity but also their grip on a bottom-four playoff finish. That said, if Toronto offered DeRozan, Ed Davis and the right to swap picks (Toronto's 8th, top-three protected for Philly's 15th) for Iguodala and Nikola Vucevic, it would be pretty hard for Philly to hang up the phone.
                      http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=395941

Comment

Doesn't that sound like a lot for a guy with a bad contract and who's numbers have regressed every year since signing said bad contract? Why do the 76ers a favor? The draft pick should be off limits to them in this scenario.

Someone needs to ask Chisholm just how the heck he defines a "Salary Dump" because to me it sure as hell doesn't mean receiving better than market value while reducing cap.

Comment

Yeah, I can't say I'm for the idea of acquiring Iggy. And like you, I don't want our lotto pick traded, unless we plan to move up somehow.

Comment

The only Sixer I'd be interested in is Holiday..... but I think I've made that clear in the past

Comment

if you could get iggy without touching the pick i'd do it. dude blew me away this year. yes he's in his prime, but he's still got some solid years left. imagine him playing next to nash?

now if we swapped picks and got iggy AND jrue i'd be in
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                if you could get iggy without touching the pick i'd do it. dude blew me away this year. yes he's in his prime, but he's still got some solid years left. imagine him playing next to nash?

now if we swapped picks and got iggy AND jrue i'd be in
                                I guess that would be alright... I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X