Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Would you rather" tournament pick'em: The Final 4 has begun! (post 204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I have a feeling many are going to be super surprised by who the players are.
    I have a hunch but I don't want to say it due to the point of the thread.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

A sounds like Arnett Moultrie, I'll go with B.

Comment

Assuming a blank canvas for the rest of the team's roster, I would go with Player A. I have a hunch who the players are... can't wait for the big reveal!

Comment

A

Comment

Great to see the participation! I'm actually super excited to run this thing through, even with some of the glaring limitations (i.e. - biased scouting reports, incomplete player profiles, etc.) to this system. I really like seeing the reasoning and I agree that some will be very surprised by the actual names. Just a reminder to keep your guesses private, as the whole point is to focus on the skills/attributes and not a name.

Will reveal around 11pm my time (mountain time) each night. This first match is a tight one, so get in your vote before time is up.
            “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
            ― John Wooden

Comment

I'm down for B
              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I'm trying to ignore who I think the players are and just go with the scouting reports... I'm going to say B, because he sounds like he has more upside, and I think we've got the right coach to change a lack of defensive effort. I'm also leary of the 'just needs to add 10 pounds' quote on player A. If a player is being shoved around in the paint at an NCAA level, he usually needs more than just 10 pounds to compete at the NBA level, and that can sometimes take a few years to happen; by that point, he's already fallen behind the curve against his peers.

Comment

Great Idea.

Im leaning towards B

Comment

Round 1 - Match 2

First off, the winner of Round 1 Match 1 is:

B)Thomas Robinson - 12 votes................ A)Meyers Leonard - 6 votes

Robinson moves on to the Elite 8!

Match 2

Would you rather have...

Player A
                    Does Well:
                    - Textbook jumper with great technique, high release point and elevation; Excellent midrange game, can knock down the NBA 3 and get hot, excels on spot up looks
                    - Great size at 6’8″ for a perimeter player at SG/SF, 6’11″ wingspan, great frame to build muscle on, solid athlete, body control
                    - Excellent off the triple threat and at creating space for a jumper, nice step back dribble, has ability to isolate and score on any possession, great off ball
                    - Smooth Scorers, has the physical tools and budding skill set of an NBA swingman, competitive, efficient and smart
                    - Clutch shooter and ’go to’ player down the stretch, reliable in crunch time, thrives under pressure packed situations, made a number of game winners
                    - Solid rebounder, can crashes the boards effectively with his strength, athleticism, nose for the ball and hustle

Must Improve:
                    - Still slightly slim, needs to put on a solid 5-10 lb.s of muscle with his good frame to build added upper body strength
                    - Not an athletically elite perimeter player for a star, lacks great explosiveness relative to NBA peers
                    - Ball handling and creating off the dribble, struggles to penetrate the defense and create for others
                    - Becomes too reliant on his jumper, needs to attack the basket more often where he seems at his best

Player B
                    Does Well:
                    - Excellent size for a forward at 6’9” to play on the perimeter and in the paint, above average length with 7’2” wingspan
                    - Superb shooter, perimeter threat off the spot up, spectacular midrange game, marksman from beyond the arc with NBA range, high release point
                    - Great creator off the dribble, outstanding change of pace and direction with the ball, shifty, great use of ball fakes
                    - Versatile threat in the half court, can create own shot in isolation or post up, effective spot up shooter coming off ball screens
                    - Aggressive attack mode, very confident, can get in the zone, gets points in spurts, great upside as a scorer

Must Improve:
                    - Rail thin build for a forward, needs to build 10-15 lb.s of muscle to his frame, adding upper body strength, gets pushed around
                    - Questionable shot selection, takes tough looks under duress with pressure in the face, can get too overconfident
                    - Lacks great athleticism and explosiveness, very par NBA athlete
                    - Struggles with consistency, made fair share mistakes, commits silly turnovers and fouls, needs to make a few shots to get his game going

Keep your guesses to yourself... share your reasoning... and match will close tomorrow night at 11pm Mountain time
                    Last edited by The Coach; Tue May 8, 2012, 01:19 AM.
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

Am I able to update the thread name so people will know when a new match has started and where it can be found in the thread? I have seen it done in the long threads, but is that something that only admin's can do?
                      ― John Wooden

Comment

I'll take B.

Most of the downside points look like they can be addressed with growth and coaching. The positives seem to be inherent.

Comment

The fact that "B" has more attack in his game but is listed as a great shooter says I would go with him. His rail thin frame, lack of athleticism, and questionable Bball IQ makes me want to choose "A".

I will go with the safe pick in "A" for this one.
                          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I'll go with B, at 6'9 with a high release and he can create his own shot, I think it's really important that at least one player can have advanced ball handling skills at the wing and with Alex Mckechnie the weight shouldn't be too big of a problem. Although player A almost sounds like Ray Allen to me but not quite as quick but with greater size and rebounding potential.(not quite as good as him at shooting probably but if his form is that good then maybe eventually he can get close)Imo B has a better chance to be a superstar though.
                            Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

keeping my guess to myself but player A is definately a top 5 pick. I choose A. B seems like an inconsistent ball hog

Comment

I will pick A.

It says he must improve his dribbling and ability to penetrate, but also says he has the ability to isolate and score on any possession, so I'm not too worried.

I don't understand why athleticism and ability to penetrate one-on-one are so overhyped these days, it's not like you want five players like that on the court together. A team needs a good mix of players and dead-eye shooters who are good rebounders, have a nose for the ball and hustle - like player A - seems like an excellent fit on any team.

Comment

Working...
                                X