Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: "Would you rather" tournament pick'em: The Final 4 has begun! (post 204)

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting battle

If they were both PGs I'd go with W
    If they were both SGs I'd definitely go with X
    If W was a PG and X was a SG I'd go with X
    If W was an SG and X was a PG I'd go with X

X wins 3-1, plus I think X has more of what this team is looking for at this time.

So my vote is for X
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

This one was probably the hardest decision for me to make, because i love guards who can pass the ball, but i have to go with X in this blind match up the athletism, shooting disparities are way too big. Even though I wouldn't be disappointed if the raps chose someone like player W

Raptors Republic Starter The Coach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Player X is currently up 5 votes to 1. I will let this matchup run through till tomorrow night in light of the fact that it's the long weekend. The current matchup is...

...........................Player W....................Player X
    Athleticism.............5.5....................... .......8
    Build/Strength.........7.5.............................7 .5
    Size.......................9...................... .........7
    Shooting................6.5....................... ......9
    Ball Handling............8............................. ..9
    Quickness...............7......................... ......9
    Passing...................9.5..................... .......6.5
    Rebounding..............4......................... .....5
    Post Skills................NA.......................... ...NA
    Defense..................7........................ .......6
    Intangibles..............9........................ .......8
    Leadership..............9......................... .......7
    NBA Readiness.........7.5............................. 8
    Potential.................7.5..................... .......8.5
    Basketball IQ...........9...............................8

Final Four starts on Monday night!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Final Four - Match 1

Austin Rivers punches the final ticket into the big dance. He beats out Kendall Marshall and joins Drummond, Robinson and Barnes in the Final Four!

For this round we will have a matchup of bigs and a matchup of smalls/wings. I will be using schematics for the final four, which is explained here:

Schematics- How prospects have demonstrated the capacity to run NBA offensive systems, sets and ‘bread and butter’ plays at the prep, NCAA and International levels. Meant to give an indication of how a player can be utilized and how likely they are to find success in each category eventually at the next level relative to NBA competition running these types of plays.

Further Schematic Explanation:
    Isolation- Ability to operate in a one-on-one matchup from the perimeter around the 3-point line and midrange.
    Post Up- Ability to operate with back to the basket or facing up while battling for position around midrange and outside the paint.
    Pick & Roll- Capacity of players to use a screen from the perimeter to get an open shot, drive the lane or create off of it, or to set the screen to roll to the basket or pop out for a shot.
    Off Ball- Capacity of players to run off and use screens to get an open shots, capitalize on spot up opportunities or use them to get a lane or create, or to set them and roll out of them for open shots.
    Transition- Players knack for getting out on the break after turnovers, rebounds or made baskets and to create or finish in an up-tempo possession against favorable numbers (3 on 2, 2 on 1, etc.) and without an established defense.
    Final Four: Match 1 - The Bigs

.........................Player Y...........................Player Z
    Isolation.....................7................... ....................5
    Post Up......................6......................... ..............7
    Pick & Roll...................8.......................... .............8
    Off Ball.......................6...................... .................7
    Transition...................7.................... ...................7

Who would you rather have? What are your thoughts on the guys that made it through to the final four?
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this is the best way to compare them, considering that as bigs, they'll be expected contribute defensively at least as much as they will offensively. That being said, Z seems like the better offensive player. His obvious weakness is ISO plays, and that's easily fixable: don't give him any ISO plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
    Not sure if this is the best way to compare them, considering that as bigs, they'll be expected contribute defensively at least as much as they will offensively. That being said, Z seems like the better offensive player. His obvious weakness is ISO plays, and that's easily fixable: don't give him any ISO plays.
    I agree that this comparison does not fairly address their defensive games; however, all four of these guys have made it through 2 rounds that quite comprehensively compared their whole games. Apart from comparing stats (which would be really obvious as to who it would be) and interview skills it is hard to find information that would work for this round... hence, schematics.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Z. Post scoring trumps perimeter iso for a big man.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

z

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take Y I think the midrange game makes him more flexible on offense, and will help spread the floor. The discrepancy in post ups is only 1 point and I think probably can be coached, plus JV will be working in the post anyway.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it's big guys i'll go with the one that can post up better, z
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Player Z.

Post-Up and Off-Ball are more important in a traditional big man than Isolation. Funny, aren't these 'traditional big' skills what most people complain about that Bargnani is lacking? lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Z, but would like to see 1on1 defense, off-ball/help defense and rebounding

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Z seems better overall, But Y seems to be a better fit with JV like eez said.
    I agree with everyone else though, we need to see more stats about defense.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Z

Post Thanks / Like

Default Final Four - Match 2

Andre Drummond is in the finals! Beat out Robinson 8 votes to 1!!

I am using schematics for the final four, which is explained here:

Schematics- How prospects have demonstrated the capacity to run NBA offensive systems, sets and ‘bread and butter’ plays at the prep, NCAA and International levels. Meant to give an indication of how a player can be utilized and how likely they are to find success in each category eventually at the next level relative to NBA competition running these types of plays.

Further Schematic Explanation:
    Isolation- Ability to operate in a one-on-one matchup from the perimeter around the 3-point line and midrange.
    Post Up- Ability to operate with back to the basket or facing up while battling for position around midrange and outside the paint.
    Pick & Roll- Capacity of players to use a screen from the perimeter to get an open shot, drive the lane or create off of it, or to set the screen to roll to the basket or pop out for a shot.
    Off Ball- Capacity of players to run off and use screens to get an open shots, capitalize on spot up opportunities or use them to get a lane or create, or to set them and roll out of them for open shots.
    Transition- Players knack for getting out on the break after turnovers, rebounds or made baskets and to create or finish in an up-tempo possession against favorable numbers (3 on 2, 2 on 1, etc.) and without an established defense.
    Final Four: Match 2 - The Wings

.........................Player AA...........................Player BB
    Isolation....................10................... ....................7
    Post Up......................2......................... ..............6
    Pick & Roll...................8.......................... .............5
    Off Ball.......................7...................... .................9
    Transition...................7.................... ...................8

Sorry for the one-dimensional comparison. I am just using draft sites for these comparisons and I couldn't find something that worked well for the defensive end. For the record, Drummond was ranked higher on the defensive end than Robinson based on the past rounds comparisons.
    ― John Wooden

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

uhm AA. It would be nice for raps to have a player who can create his own and shot outside

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AA although it sucks that his post up is that bad, ability to create his own shot gives you somebody at the end of the game that you can let take that last shot, also pick and roll is going to be very important with jonas around so i'll go with AA
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Go with AA. Seems like a better fit for Raps as they are expected to be next year.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

AA for the same reasons everyone else said.

Post Thanks / Like

This matchup is a hard comparison, since one is a wing and the other is a PG. I think this head-to-head would ultimately be decided by positional need, as much as BPA. On only the schematic comparison that Coach laid out, I would pick Player AA. However, I think the stats have overinflated his worth, as I don't think he's a good enough player to finish so high in this draft game (if it is who I think it is). I just can't bring myself to vote for a player who's only superior 'off the ball' and 'in transition'.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread Information