Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another reason to love David Aldridge: He wants Raps to win Lottery!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason to love David Aldridge: He wants Raps to win Lottery!!

I already love Aldridge more than ANY other sports writer, but to see this, well, this just made me smile.
    In DAs article on NBA.com, he talks about some of the questions following the season.
    And his #1 point, was:

1. I hope the Raptors win the Lottery and get Anthony Davis.

Toronto is like that ex-girlfriend you haven't seen in 15 years. You lost touch with her, and then you heard she got fat and you were secretly happy about it, but then you heard a year ago that she had a lousy boyfriend who treated her bad, and you felt sorry for her and hoped she was doing okay. (If you're a woman reading this, just substitute "boyfriend" for "girlfriend" where appropriate, "him" for "her" and "he" for "she.") [HAHAHAHA]

The point is that that the Raptors are positioned to be relevant again in the Eastern Conference. First and foremost, they have a really good coach in Dwane Casey, who has already put his stamp on the team. The Raptors improved significantly on defense this season, rising from dead-bleeping-last in the league in defensive efficiency a year ago (110 points allowed per 100 possessions) to 12th (101.5 points allowed).

DeMar DeRozan is a capable guard. Andrea Bargnani will never live up to being the first pick in the 2006 Draft, but he isn't a bust by any means; I don't recall Kwame Brown ever averaging 19.5 per game, as Bargnani did this season. (I would be concerned about Bargnani's field goal percentage trend line the last three seasons, however.)

Toronto has pieces, but it doesn't have that centerpiece around which you can build a real contender. Imagine a frontcourt of the 7-foot Bargnani, the 6-foot-11 Davis and 7-foot-2 center Jonas Valenciunas, whom the Raptors took in the first round last season and expect will come over to the NBA next season after spending the year playing in Europe. Imagine what Jose Calderon and DeRozan could do with Davis swatting shots and igniting the fast break.

And imagine what a defensive guy like Casey could do with one of the best defensive prospects in a generation. Casey was new to the NBA when he was on Seattle's bench in the early 1990s, and George Karl unleashed the ferocious Gary Payton on unsuspecting point guards. Another Sonics assistant, Bob Kloppenburg, designed diabolical halfcourt defenses. With Payton attacking, the Sonics became a lethal unit that harassed opponents all the way to the 1996 Finals. If Casey got his hands on Davis, watch out.

Most importantly, Toronto's a great city, with great basketball fans. I miss going there for meaningful games.

Source

Love you too, David.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon May 7, 2012, 11:34 AM.

Beautiful thread.

I love that he calls DeMar "capable". That's pretty much spot on.

Also didn't realize big Val was 7'2. Whoa.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      Thought this was fair and appropriate.

Me neither! But he is now!! FTW!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
        Beautiful thread.

Unless he has grown, he is not. I always thought he was 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan.

Comment

Maybe this article is a message from David Stern... Foreshadowing...

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Unless he has grown, he is not. I always thought he was 6'11" with a 7'4" wingspan.
            I thought this as well, but he's now consistently pegged as a "Legit 7 footer".
            (Never really understood how one can be a non-legit 7 footer, but thats beside the point.)
            Last edited by Joey; Mon May 7, 2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post
              Maybe this article is a message from David Stern... Foreshadowing...
              One can dream.

And that picture you've got Tesla is AWESOME. He better have those jerseys hung up in his place in THAT order.

Comment

7'2" is that a typo?

oh and the legit 7 footer thing is just another way to market themselves. In the NBA an inch can mean a million bucks. In other words if you are 7ft without your shoes on its better than being 6'11"....and a 7ft in shoes.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

could Anthony Davis play the 3? I've read a few things about him that said he was a guard for a while before a big growth spurt.

Davis/Bargnani/Valanciunas at the 3/4/5 all more or less interchangeable would be a championship front line 4 years out
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I thought this as well, but he's now consistently pegged as a "Legit 7 footer".
                    (Never really understood how one can be a non-legit 7 footer, but thats beside the point.)
                    The infamous 1.5" shoes can add.

A barefoot seven footer is gold.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      He's only a kid though so maybe he did grow a couple inches. All the better if it's true!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        He's only a kid though so maybe he did grow a couple inches. All the better if it's true!
                        Pfffffft! I am totally hoping it is true. A 7'2" athletic C!!!!! Are you kidding me! *insert any wet pants joke here*

Comment

Clearly, David Aldridge doesn't fancy fat chicks, lol.

Comment

Yeah, DA is my favourite American basketball writer and it isn't close. That article was odd though..He envisions Bargs or Davis playing the 3? I don't see it. And he must want Charlotte to be terrible forever then...
                            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              One can dream.

And that picture you've got Tesla is AWESOME. He better have those jerseys hung up in his place in THAT order.
                              Thanks, I thought it was pretty awesome when I first saw it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X