Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Thread: Another reason to love David Aldridge: He wants Raps to win Lottery!!

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Yeah, DA is my favourite American basketball writer and it isn't close. That article was odd though..He envisions Bargs or Davis playing the 3? I don't see it. And he must want Charlotte to be terrible forever then...
    I think he envisions a 3-man big-man rotation. Those guys are power forward/centers. They can't play the small forward position. IMO.

    Edit: Looks like joey_hesketh beat me to it (post 20)
    Last edited by Michel G; Mon May 7th, 2012 at 06:15 PM.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,926
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Don't dudes stop growing at 18 and girls 21 or is it vice versa?
    vise versa
    @Chr1st1anL

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Michel G wrote: View Post
    I think he envisions a 3-man big-man rotation. Those guys are power forward/centers. They can't play the small forward position. IMO.

    Edit: Looks like joey_hesketh beat me to it (post 20)
    I don't think that Davis, Bargnani, and Valanciunas could play heavy minutes together, but it could be very interesting to see them all together at times. Man-to-man I don't think any of them could manage defending the opposing SF, but in a zone their length could be an excellent asset in spurts.

    Davis, 7'4" wingspan
    Valanciunas, 7'4" wingspan (unless he has grown)
    Bargnani, 7'2" wingspan

    This means that between the three of them they would cover 22' of baseline. In a zone situation they could cover a good portion of the court. And with Valanciunas and Davis coming for weakside blocks...wow!

    On offense a lot of it would depend on the style of PG we have, but that they all have decent to capable mid-range (or long range in Bargnani's case) games it could make it tough to cover everyone.

    I don't think this type of zone could work for heavy minutes, but it could certainly be interesting for spurts.

    But hey, what are the odds of this happening? Literally 3.5%

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    david stern read this and went "what the hell, lets give it to em 1 more time"

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    vise versa
    Awesome. Thanks for clarification.

    Two seven footers in the line-up will be nice. Especially if Bargnani improves defensively.

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm sorry but I just don't see how a trio of Bargs-Val-ADavis would work. In theory it would, but once you get into the reality of the situation those 3 are too good to be splitting minutes amongst eachother. 1 would have to go for a serviceable/decent backup and maybe a perimeter player or 2.

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    620
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default I disagree

    This is not only possible, it is a dream scenario.

    Quote nubreed000 wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry but I just don't see how a trio of Bargs-Val-ADavis would work. In theory it would, but once you get into the reality of the situation those 3 are too good to be splitting minutes amongst each other. 1 would have to go for a serviceable/decent backup and maybe a perimeter player or 2.
    • This line-up would cost you 16 million this upcoming season.
    • Year 2 - 18.5 million
    • Year 3 - 19.8 mil



    • That would leave 40 million or so, for the balance of the roster - for each of those 3 years (give or take a bit).
    • There are 96 minutes + injury time to go around. That's without sliding one of the trio into the SF position for a short time. Preferably when their Secondary is on. That has potential to be the best Front Court in the League. Best part is, the funds that would be available to acquire other talent. Draft picks can be traded, along with any other assets. Plus Free Agents would salivate at the potential of such a team. Davis could work very well with Andrea, almost like Amir on steroids. A healthy one that is.
    • That very combination has potential to be a Contender within that 3 year period.



    Raptors could use some real luck. Aldridge sure can stoke the dreams, even if they are at 30-1.

    .

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    713
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's my dream:

    David Stern: With the first pick of the 2012 NBA Draft, the Toronto Raptors select .... Anthony Davis from the University of Kentucky ....

    then Jay Bilas starts talking how this guy has a "monstrous" wingspan
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  9. #29
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    DA just wants to come back to Toronto to hit up the strippers again during "meaningful" games.

    This is a straight up pipe dream, and when I mean pipe I mean the glass ones you see on Cops.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    or the glass ones you see celebrities smoking "salvia" out of.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Great article! We better get that first pick now!! Actually I have a strong feeling that either us or Cleveland is going to win the lottery.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,425
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Gvid wrote: View Post
    Great article! We better get that first pick now!! Actually I have a strong feeling that either us or Cleveland is going to win the lottery.
    yup, glass pipe

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hate to be a buzz kill, but I think we are only excited about reading this because US sportswriters mention us MAYBE 3 times a year.
    He didn't say anything we didn't know already, or anything insightful, he is just talking about us and that gets us excited...

  14. #34
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    Hate to be a buzz kill, but I think we are only excited about reading this because US sportswriters mention us MAYBE 3 times a year.
    He didn't say anything we didn't know already, or anything insightful, he is just talking about us and that gets us excited...
    Whatever Mr.Buzz Killington.

    And thats actually not what it is at all for me.
    For me, its the fact that a Sports Writer, (yes he's American, but that has very little bearing for me) whom I greatly respect and admire, took the time to point out what many of us already thought to be true, BUT very few outside of the Team-Ecosystem actually acknowledge. That being that the Raps have a chance to be relevant again in the near future.

    It may only be confirmation of what some of us may have known, but coming from a highly respected Basketball mind like Aldridge, its different than if Tim Chisholm were to write it.
    In Masai we Trust.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    501
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Whatever Mr.Buzz Killington.

    And thats actually not what it is at all for me.
    For me, its the fact that a Sports Writer, (yes he's American, but that has very little bearing for me) whom I greatly respect and admire, took the time to point out what many of us already thought to be true, BUT very few outside of the Team-Ecosystem actually acknowledge. That being that the Raps have a chance to be relevant again in the near future.

    It may only be confirmation of what some of us may have known, but coming from a highly respected Basketball mind like Aldridge, its different than if Tim Chisholm were to write it.
    Good point...it IS good to know that we are not diluting ourselves into thinking that this year mattered the way we all think it did...

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Starter IROR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Ottawa/Toronto
    Posts
    262
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Re: anthony davis at the 3 -- why not? he is a grand slam defensive prospect (your boy D.A. called him one in a generation), can't see how he couldn't defend SFs with his agility and length?
    Offensively he wouldn't stretch the D by any means (for now), but just because he would be slotted in at the 3 doesn't mean you can't incorporate a talent like him into a halfcourt...especially considering the way he passes and sees the floor.

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,807
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    no he is a 4, bad idea playing guys out of position

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Whatever Mr.Buzz Killington.

    And thats actually not what it is at all for me.
    For me, its the fact that a Sports Writer, (yes he's American, but that has very little bearing for me) whom I greatly respect and admire, took the time to point out what many of us already thought to be true, BUT very few outside of the Team-Ecosystem actually acknowledge. That being that the Raps have a chance to be relevant again in the near future.

    It may only be confirmation of what some of us may have known, but coming from a highly respected Basketball mind like Aldridge, its different than if Tim Chisholm were to write it.
    Ya, but, is he well respected because he's american? How well is he known internationally?

    I got to be honest, I'm more familiar with tim chisolm or michael grange than aldrige.

    Frig man, every night PTI goes "goodnight, canada!" OTR ain't goin' "goodnight america!"

  19. #39
    Super Moderator Joey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Ya, but, is he well respected because he's american? How well is he known internationally?
    He is an American Journalist yes. That has no bearing on why he is respected. In terms of international appeal, he covers the NBA, so if international people follow the NBA, then they probably know of him.

    I got to be honest, I'm more familiar with tim chisolm or michael grange than aldrige.
    Thats because they are both Canadian Journalists who appear on TSN and SportsNet.
    As opposed to Aldridge who is frequently on TNT, ESPN etc.

    Frig man, every night PTI goes "goodnight, canada!" OTR ain't goin' "goodnight america!"
    You don't remember when Kornheiser made the quip about Canadians not having TVs?
    Wilbon made him apologize, and he promised to make it up to us.

    And because we never used to get the second half of the show.




    ...You think Americans watch OTR? Get real man. Haha
    In Masai we Trust.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,327
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Your last line is exactly my point.

    Why are we watching their shit and when i say shit I mean it and they are not watching ours?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •