Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeRozan officially invited to Team USA national training camp/Year 3 highlight mix

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Gorlitzer wrote: View Post
    For some perspective, Kapono was also once chosen to play against the USA National team.
    In 2008 Durant, Westbrook and Rose all played on the selects team as well.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    He has the chance to play for his nation this Summer, even though it'll be hard with Wade and Bryant at those positions, if he plays and works hard, he can earn it....

Notice how many of the players who have participated in Olympic games/camps etc. have become very, very good NBA players...
    Can earn a chance to play in Olympics? I'm just happy got invited to play against those players and have a summer full of great information/experience to pull from rather then pick up.

Wade and Bryant are tough to beat out but don't forget Joe Johnson, James Harden, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans and Paul George who are all capable of playing the 2 spot. Exciting news for sure I just can't see him getting on the real team.

Raptors Republic Superstar ReubenJRD's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    Can earn a chance to play in Olympics? I'm just happy got invited to play against those players and have a summer full of great information/experience to pull from rather then pick up.

Wade and Bryant are tough to beat out but don't forget Joe Johnson, James Harden, Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo, Tyreke Evans and Paul George who are all capable of playing the 2 spot. Exciting news for sure I just can't see him getting on the real team.
    That's why I said if he works hard enough to earn it....

It's alright though, he's been selected to play and practice AGAINST the national team, which means he won't make it unless injury or something of that sort.

And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.
    Right on. I think all those travelling circus fan games absolutely hurt Demar, maybe worse than any other players, because he got an inflated sense of his ability. Though everybody (Raps management and coaching staff) keeps going on about how hard he works to get better. You don't need to put yourself in an environment of fawning fans and "You da Man" posse if you are dedicated to improving. (Not that Demar did that...how would I know...but the ooohs and aaahs for every dunk in the summer highlights make me think so).

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I said if he works hard enough to earn it....

It's alright though, he's been selected to play and practice AGAINST the national team, which means he won't make it unless injury or something of that sort.

And I agree, those pick up games last off-season did not whatsoever help his development.
    Sorry your post seemed to imply that he can make the actual team with playing hard and working hard...

I hope he just comes away from the July camp with more motivation to get better and picks up a few things from some of the games best players. Being surrounded by those players can't do anything but help him and the less time for pick up basketball the better in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

So when does it start and how long will the training camp actually last?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    Sorry your post seemed to imply that he can make the actual team with playing hard and working hard...

I hope he just comes away from the July camp with more motivation to get better and picks up a few things from some of the games best players. Being surrounded by those players can't do anything but help him and the less time for pick up basketball the better in my opinion.
    Kobe's dedication to the workout room is legendary. I hope that rubs off on DD. Colangelo talked about there is more to be a professional than just being a gym rat on the basketball court. I can't think of a better example of that than Kobe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...I can't think of a better example of that than Kobe.
    Ummm. Steve Nash? Had less to start with. Still finished near the top of the heap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Ummm. Steve Nash? Had less to start with. Still finished near the top of the heap.
    Nash isn't on Team USA though.

Nor is he a Raptor.

But besides that, yes, I agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Nash isn't on Team USA though.

Nor is he a Raptor.

But besides that, yes, I agree.
    Ahhh. You meant "I can't think of a better example, of all of the other players on the US national Olympic Team, than Kobe."

As opposed to " I can't think of a better example of a professional basketball player who comports himself properly, than that of Kobe."

My bad. :-)

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Kobe's dedication to the workout room is legendary. I hope that rubs off on DD. Colangelo talked about there is more to be a professional than just being a gym rat on the basketball court. I can't think of a better example of that than Kobe.
    extra marital affairs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    extra marital affairs?
    Kobe might be doing some extra marital stuff but before he gets to that he hits the weight room. Watch and learn, DeMar.

Post Thanks / Like

Kobe might be doing some extra marital stuff but before he gets to that he hits the weight room. Watch and learn, DeMar.
    Kobe is perfect for Demar to learn from no question. If I had to pick a second and third choice it would be Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton in that order.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope DD all the best. But lets not get our hopes up quickly. remember J Bayless was also added to the US select team and he's still not a capable PG (though one may argue he's a good SG).

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone think else "his trade value just went waaaay up" when they first heard this? Just me?

Post Thanks / Like

*think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Did anyone think else "his trade value just went waaaay up" when they first heard this? Just me?
    I did. I figured BC talked to his dad and asked DD to be included, figuring it was a win/win; either he improves and the Raptors are better for it, or his perceived value increases which makes him a more valuable trade chip.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I did. I figured BC talked to his dad and asked DD to be included, figuring it was a win/win; either he improves and the Raptors are better for it, or his perceived value increases which makes him a more valuable trade chip.
    I thought the exact same thing.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DaveKim wrote: View Post
    I thought the exact same thing.
    Me too...maybe we're missing something, or "they" see something which we don't. either way, good for him, hopefully it will give him some new insights on how to improve. Especially his 10-15 foot jump shot coming off a curl...cause I honestly cannot watch him miss 10 of those a game next year without breaking my TV

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Either way, it's nothing but a positive for DeRozan and the Raptors. For all the Colangelo haters, it's unlikely any other GM would've been able to convince Jerry Colangelo of this "favour".
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information