Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dwane Casey: "We need to add shooters to our roster."

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Does "shooter" necessarily mean 3 point shooter? I think we (equally) need a guy who can just spot up jumpers and those who can create their own shot. I think these 3 go hand in hand. Though I guess there's no stat that shows guys who are good at those other two..
    I think it does.

Bargnani, DeRozan, and Valanciunas all need space to do their thing.

I think 3 point shooters are crucial to keep the D honest and create opportunities.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the Raptors need another guy to spread the floor. I would not be shocked if Colangelo went after Granger.

What would it take, that's the question? West only has a year left on contract and he really didn't fit in Indiana this year. He could be on the move again. That said, there is room for Amir and Ed in Indiana I think... So them plus a lottery protected 1st rounder. The Raptors eat the extra cap and belch in celebration.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ebrian wrote: View Post
    Does "shooter" necessarily mean 3 point shooter? I think we (equally) need a guy who can just spot up jumpers and those who can create their own shot. I think these 3 go hand in hand. Though I guess there's no stat that shows guys who are good at those other two..
    My opinion is that to find a solid mid-range shooter you have to look either Euro or stretch 4. The way young players are playing now is that the points come either in the paint or outside the 3pt line. Being involved in ball, I find it sad to see the way is going. Many players would rather look good and loose than look bad and win, and that carries over to development. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing highlight plays, but to see a kid in a game try some And1 ballhandling move and have people go nuts, only to still have his defender in front of him is frustrating. 15 foot jumpers just don't excite people.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Yeah, the Raptors need another guy to spread the floor. I would not be shocked if Colangelo went after Granger.

What would it take, that's the question? West only has a year left on contract and he really didn't fit in Indiana this year. He could be on the move again. That said, there is room for Amir and Ed in Indiana I think... So them plus a lottery protected 1st rounder. The Raptors eat the extra cap and belch in celebration.
    Love the idea of Granger or Ilyasova (as a consolation prize). However, I would hate to lose ED to get him. I would. But I wouldn't like it.

Raptors Republic All-Star DoNDaDDa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Outside of the age thing, you know who's a fantastic shooter?

Steve Nash
    take it with a grain of salt but i just read this on thescore.com http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...ys-one-writer/

personally i think the chances are 50/50...

Post Thanks / Like

FanNation, CNNSI's rumor mill section, has also picked up the story: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...ave-for-canada

If Nash ever were to sign with Toronto, BC would suddenly have yet another attractive asset to work with to further improve his team. A veteran, pass-first PG on an expiring contract, that could bring back up to $13.3M in salary ($10.56M*1.25 + 0.1)... what an offseason for Raptors fans!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get why people like OJ Mayo. He's a shooter that doesn't shoot very well, isn't much of a finisher, his assist to turnover ratio is pretty bad, and his defence comes and goes not only game to game but possession to possession. What's the appeal?

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I really don't get why people like OJ Mayo. He's a shooter that doesn't shoot very well, isn't much of a finisher, his assist to turnover ratio is pretty bad, and his defence comes and goes not only game to game but possession to possession. What's the appeal?

He is actually a decent shooter, 36.4% from 3 point land. As far as the other aspects I don't really watch the grizzlies enough to make a comment on it though the assist to turnover I agree
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    I have to agree.

Also, he has a knack for inciting fights at 30,000 feet over card games.

I would rather spend $2.5M on Danny Green than $8M on Mayo (dollar amounts are guesstimates on my part).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Love the idea of Granger or Ilyasova (as a consolation prize). However, I would hate to lose ED to get him. I would. But I wouldn't like it.
    I would do it and I would like it. To improve you must make sacrifices and so dealing a guy like Ed is all apart of the game. It would be the kind of trade where Ed could go on to maybe be a double double guy eventually for the Pacers but would never do it for the Raptors because he'd never get the playing opportunity to grow like that here. For me, looking at it that way, the Raptors are paying with something that would never be in Toronto to get something real right now.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    He is actually a decent shooter, 36.4% from 3 point land. As far as the other aspects I don't really watch the grizzlies enough to make a comment on it though the assist to turnover I agree
    Know where that percentage puts him in 3pt% for all 2-guards? 28th.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    take it with a grain of salt but i just read this on thescore.com http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...ys-one-writer/

From the same report mentioned in post #19 of this thread.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I asked this before, but does anyone know if Ilyasova can play the 3? I looked at his number and he is an excellent rebounder with a high PER, but his assist numbers are worse than DeRozan. Does he have handles to speak of? I really have no idea. I didn't watch a lot of Bucks games this year.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If there's any truth to the Nash rumour, that would certainly explain Colangelo's confidence in his claims for the upcoming season.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    If there's any truth to the Nash rumour, that would certainly explain Colangelo's confidence in his claims for the upcoming season.
    Thats the first thing that came to mind...

although you never know with B-Co, is he sitting on Pocket Rockets, or the Hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, before any reasoning clicked in my first reaction was something like this:

That said, does it make more sense to sign Nash rather than to spend that money on someone long term?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ok, before any reasoning clicked in my first reaction was something like this:

That said, does it make more sense to sign Nash rather than to spend that money on someone long term?
    depends on the money i think.. seems like from that article he would be here on a 3 year deal... assuming we get Nash for a decent price & decide to slip jose into the back up spot.. it could do wonders to prolong both there carreers a bit... plus i think it was BC who said he wanted a PG who could push the tempo up..nash sure fits that bill... jose is great in half court offence & would surley accept comming off the bench..

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

... assuming we get Nash for a decent price & decide to slip jose into the back up spot.. it could do wonders to prolong both there carreers a bit...
    Hard to imagine Jose here next year if Nash is signed. $20 million on two point guards, and one of them off the bench? No way...Maybe Jose comes back the following year, if he can get over being amnestied.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on the money i think.. seems like from that article he would be here on a 3 year deal... assuming we get Nash for a decent price & decide to slip jose into the back up spot.. it could do wonders to prolong both there carreers a bit... plus i think it was BC who said he wanted a PG who could push the tempo up..nash sure fits that bill... jose is great in half court offence & would surley accept comming off the bench..
    I think the best case is John Stockton. That's 11 and 7 at age 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Puffer wrote: View Post
    Hard to imagine Jose here next year if Nash is signed. $20 million on two point guards, and one of them off the bench? No way...Maybe Jose comes back the following year, if he can get over being amnestied.
    it would be harder to imagine BC giving Nash 10mill a season IMO.

assuming we get nash & it costs 5-7mill a season i could see Jose still being here coming off the bench.. would be great to have them both..
    lets say we amnestied jose & signed nash.. wed still need a decent backup since bayless wants to be the starter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information