Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dwane Casey: "We need to add shooters to our roster."

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think they gotta move Millsap and keep jefferson. Favours can play both the 4 and 5 and kanter is a 5. I say you start favours at the 5(until kanter develops) and jefferson at the 4

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    San Antonio's gotta be looking for bigs soon. If not this summer.
    I wonder if a sign and trade of Daniel Green for Amir or Ed would be interesting to San Antonio.

Post Thanks / Like

what's with the Danny Green love Matt? I've never even heard of this guy

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I seriously have no idea who Danny Green is and I've been watching the SAS/Utah series.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Yeah I seriously have no idea who Danny Green is and I've been watching the SAS/Utah series.

Really? He is the Spurs starting SG.

From ESPN Player Profile:

Green had a productive night Wednesday in Game 2 against the Jazz. He finished with 13 points on 5-of-8 shooting, including 3-of-5 from long range, four rebounds, two assists, one steal, and three blocked shots.

Spin: All the Spurs were clicking Wednesday, as they beat down Utah by 31, but Green's performance comes on the heels of a very slow Game 1 and it could provide a significant confidence boost for the young guard.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3988/daniel-green

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    what's with the Danny Green love Matt? I've never even heard of this guy
    He will be 25 in June.

He is a great shooter.

He starts for Greg Popovich.

He plays for the Spurs (and starts!).

He played 4 years at UNC.

UNC and Spurs are a great pedigree and programs. I am making the assumption he is a high character guy and hard worker.

He finally got his shot this year with San Antonio after going undrafted, sign and released by Cleveland, signed at the end of last year by the Spurs, and coming off the bench for his first 28 games of this year.

In 38 games starting this year, here are his stats:

24.4 mpg
    10.3 points
    3.6-7.8 fg
    .463 fg%
    1.8-3.9 3pt
    .463 3pt%

1.3-1.6 ft
    .814 ft%
    3.5 rebounds
    1.1 assists
    0.6 block
    1.0 steal
    0.9 turnover

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Really? He is the Spurs starting SG.

From ESPN Player Profile:
    whoa i thought it was still gary neal
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering when he got taller
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually met Danny Green during the summer (he actually has appeared at many basketball camps around Ontario - I know for sure he was a guest at Olympia a couple of times) and the guy has a great attitude. I really like him. I never thought he would be at all a factor on a winning team but he showed a lot of people wrong.

Id be all for getting Green.

Post Thanks / Like

nice stats. Where would see him here? Backup SG? I'm prone to liking anything the Spurs do as they are the best talent evaluators/diamond in the rough finders in pro sports.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

green would be a good backup for us or good in a role as a spot up shooter if bayless can learn to drive and dish. i think being after parker, blair, duncan, and ginobli on the depth chart has really allowed him a lot of space to get his shot off. no way his looks are as open here as they are on the spurs. i wouldn't want to send out amir or ed for him yet. i would like to see a couple years of this type of production first.

Post Thanks / Like

the thing is starting don't mean jack shit on a gregg popovich team. I mean publicly it does. But, when you think about it, he gives everyone a good burn. I mean, there's no difference now at least between starting or the bench for the spurs.

it's the system he has, that's why the spurs are constantly good. he don't care whther your 40 or 20, go out and do your job.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    the thing is starting don't mean jack shit on a gregg popovich team. I mean publicly it does. But, when you think about it, he gives everyone a good burn. I mean, there's no difference now at least between starting or the bench for the spurs.

it's the system he has, that's why the spurs are constantly good. he don't care whther your 40 or 20, go out and do your job.
    +1

the spurs have a niche for everyone and everyone plays to it. perfect team ball. built like a college team more than an nba one.

Raptors Republic All-Star charlesnba23's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy to see I'm not alone to really like Green. I like this player since he was at North Carolina and I think he would fit really well on our team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    +1

the spurs have a niche for everyone and everyone plays to it. perfect team ball. built like a college team more than an nba one.
    The guy doesn't care whether your name is tony parker or sloth from the goonies. Go out and do your job and he'll find a place for you.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Via free agency, I'd look at:

Steve Novak (29)- 2.5/5.2 - .472
    Ersan Ilyasova (25)- .9/1.9 - .455
    Danny Green (25) - 1.5/3.5 - .436
    Courtney Lee (27) - 1.5/3.7 - .401
    Nicolas Batum (24) - 1.8/4.6 - .391
    Leandro Barbosa (30) - 1.0/2.7 - .382
    O.J. Mayo (25) - 1.5/4.2 - .364
    Kirk Hinrich (31) - 1.0/2.8 - .346

Danny Green is the guy I think the Raptors will be looking at HARD.

Via trade, I'd look at:

Ben Gordon (28) - 1.2/2.8 - .429
    JJ Redick (28) - 1.7/4.1 - .418
    Marvin Williams - (26) - 1.0/2.6 - .389
    Wesley Matthews (26) - 2.0/5.1 - .383
    Dorell Wright (27) - 1.7/4.8 - .360
    Kevin Martin (28) - 2.0/5.6 - .347

Some of the guys via trade would have to have other young players or picks coming along with them. They might not be reasonable or feasible.
    I don't think the raps should really be looking at shooters exclusively. I think something that really skewed our 3pt shooting this year was the fact that Bargs did not play the full season. If you factor in these adjustments, i.e. have jose taking more shots, our % will go up. The players that are pure shooters, guys like reddick, gordon, wright, martin, will be really poor additions to this team.

I love DC, maybe even more than life itself, but I don't think that these guys will help us in the long run. We need one or two guys who can create their own shot, not necessarily shoot 3's. Giving money to Steve Novak will be like kapono all over again.

I do like the Batum and Green idea though...these guys are real players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote BallaBalla wrote: View Post
    I don't think the raps should really be looking at shooters exclusively. I think something that really skewed our 3pt shooting this year was the fact that Bargs did not play the full season. If you factor in these adjustments, i.e. have jose taking more shots, our % will go up. The players that are pure shooters, guys like reddick, gordon, wright, martin, will be really poor additions to this team.

I love DC, maybe even more than life itself, but I don't think that these guys will help us in the long run. We need one or two guys who can create their own shot, not necessarily shoot 3's. Giving money to Steve Novak will be like kapono all over again.

I do like the Batum and Green idea though...these guys are real players.
    Taking on big money via trade with those players listed also would have to have another piece/asset coming back. Of those 6, the only 3 I'd actually have interest in is Wright, Matthews, and Redick.

Regarding Bargnani, he did shoot less than 30% from 3 this year and has been in decline for 3 consecutive years.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how the Spurs manage to be able to find and more importantly project talent. They traded their previous SG George Hill for Leonard drafted 15th who is now their starting SF and then plug in a previously undrafted player cut by a team like the Cavs. BC should be actually looking at poaching their scouting staff...but maybe it's just Buford. And please no Novak. He has a damn good 3pt stat but they are just about all from a catch and shoot stance. The Heat made him put the ball on the floor or in his face into being inconsequential. We do need our guards to be able to create...especially in endofgame situations when the defensive heat is turned on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Amazing how the Spurs manage to be able to find and more importantly project talent. They traded their previous SG George Hill for Leonard drafted 15th who is now their starting SF and then plug in a previously undrafted player cut by a team like the Cavs. BC should be actually looking at poaching their scouting staff...but maybe it's just Buford. And please no Novak. He has a damn good 3pt stat but they are just about all from a catch and shoot stance. The Heat made him put the ball on the floor or in his face into being inconsequential. We do need our guards to be able to create...especially in endofgame situations when the defensive heat is turned on.
    I worry that Novak becomes Kapono 2.0. Kapono was even worse, because he decided that he wanted to be known for more than just his 3 point shooting once he joined the Raptors... *shudders at the memories of seasons past*

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking on big money via trade with those players listed also would have to have another piece/asset coming back. Of those 6, the only 3 I'd actually have interest in is Wright, Matthews, and Redick.

Regarding Bargnani, he did shoot less than 30% from 3 this year and has been in decline for 3 consecutive years
    Really? Then I guess I was wrong in using that as an example, but come to think of it, % is not really what we should be concerned about as much as the timeliness of the shot being made. I guess I thought that bargnani was shooting a higher % because he made so many meaningful shots at the beginning of the year.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information