Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Dwane Casey: "We need to add shooters to our roster."

Post Thanks / Like

Marvin Williams blooooooooooows
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think he's a highly underrated player because he blends in and quietly does a little of everything. He's a glue guy. They never get the respect they deserve.

Marvin Williams is the kind of player who could be productive in any system. His player option in a years time is roughly equal to the final year of Amir Johnson's contract. For him to come here I think Amir would have to be outbound. I don't know if that's much more than a lateral move in terms of strictly looking at talent.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Amir needs to be moved no matter what happens, or possibly amnestied if we can move Calderon. There are not enough minutes at PF and C for Bargs, Davis, Jonas, Gray, Kleiza, Magloire. Marvin fills a need at least as a shooter and SF and I find his play to be slightly more valuable than amir. He also fits Caseys wants as a hard working veteran with lots of playoff experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Amir is a productive young player with lots of experience and a reasonable contract. Why on earth would you consider just giving away such an asset? We're not talking about Gilbert Arenas here (ie: questionable person, horrible contract when he was amnestied). I would imagine there is a good market for Amir Johnson.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're right about there being a good market for amir. Just don't want to take back any bad contracts to move him. We may have to amnesty Calderon unless Utah (okur tpe) or a team with cap space wants him in order to make room for Nash without adding salary.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think using the amnesty clause is a foregone conclusion. Calderon is another guy who should have good market value.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I still wish Colangelo had made the trade I suggested at the deadline,
    Barbosa for Marvin Williams and ATL first
    We get a pick and an underated player, they replace Crawford and save money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hello wrote: View Post
    I still wish Colangelo had made the trade I suggested at the deadline,
    Barbosa for Marvin Williams and ATL first
    We get a pick and an underated player, they replace Crawford and save money.
    By making the trade he did, he could take on $12M in salary first and then make the trade you proposed with the TPE.

I can't wait to see how all this 'flexibility' plays out.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Marvin Williams is such a letdown for someone like myself who is hoping for either Rudy Gay / Andre Iguodala.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend on what other moves he made. Marvin Williams would be a good 6th man option. He can play both forward positions and he offers a lot of versatility, something Colangelo highly values and the Raptors really need. I would welcome him as an addition as long as it doesn't prevent them from landing a legit impact player via free agency or another trade.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless were moving both Klieza and JJ, I dont really want to see Williams here anymore.

I think Klieza plays a similiar role on our team as Williams would, at a cheaper price, and might be able to help JV.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    Amir needs to be moved no matter what happens, or possibly amnestied if we can move Calderon. There are not enough minutes at PF and C for Bargs, Davis, Jonas, Gray, Kleiza, Magloire. Marvin fills a need at least as a shooter and SF and I find his play to be slightly more valuable than amir. He also fits Caseys wants as a hard working veteran with lots of playoff experience.
    I don't think anyone is concerned about finding minutes for Gray or Magloire.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Gray is pretty important, especially next year.

edit: assuming he's brought back
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

He's important as Valanciunas' backup. His minutes would be entirely dependent on Valanciunas' learning curve.

But either way, we don't need to worry about "finding" minutes for Gray. Whether it's 15 minutes per game, or 30 seconds per game, he'll only be on the floor when Valanciunas isn't.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

I like Gray as a 5th big, but not as a 4th big.

Also, I would not refer resigning anyone whose next contract will average less than $2M a year as important.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information