Dwane Casey: "We need to add shooters to our roster."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwane Casey: "We need to add shooters to our roster."

“I have told Bryan and Ed the skill level and type of players we need,” said Casey.

“Shooters, that is the one skill. I know you can work with players when you get to this level, but you can’t teach the type of shooting that you like to have with three point shooters, those guys are born. You can work on it to get it a little bit better, but to get where we want to go, you have to have shooters. We need to add shooters to our roster.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/are-the-ra...team-next-year
    On changing the roster: “You can work on it to get a little bit better. To get where we want to go, you’re going to need shooters. Again, a guy like DeMar [DeRozan] is going to get better just through repetition. I’m not saying our guys can’t do that. But we need to add shooters and skilled players like that to our roster.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...ronto-raptors/

Alright, so Casey has made it clear he wants 25-28 year old shooters added to the roster. Lets be flexible on the age and look at what is out there in free agency (I drew the cut off at .345, no reason why, just did):

PLAYER (age next season) - 3pt attempts/3pt made - percentage

Steve Novak (29)- 2.5/5.2 - .472

Ersan Ilyasova (25)- .9/1.9 - .455

Ray Allen (37) - 2.3/5.1 - .453

Brandon Rush (27) - 1.5/3.4 - .452

Willie Green (31) - .9 /2.1 .442

Danny Green (25) - 1.5/3.5 - .436

Gary Neal (28) - 1.5/3.5 - .419

Chase Budinger (24) - 1.5 /3.8 - .402

Courtney Lee (27) - 1.5/3.7 - .401

Ryan Anderson (24) - 2.7/6.9 - .393

Nicolas Batum (24) - 1.8/4.6 - .391

Leandro Barbosa (30) - 1.0/2.7 - .382

Jason Terry (35) - 2.2/5.8 - .378

Marco Belinelli (26) - 1.6/4.3 - .377

Vladimir Radmanovic (32) - 1.0/2.8 - .370

George Hill (26) - 1.1/2.9 - .367

Jodie Meeks (25) - 1.5/4.0 - .365

Nate Robinson (28) - 1.3/3.5 - .365

Nick Young (27) - 1.7/4.5 - .365

O.J. Mayo (25) - 1.5/4.2 - .364

Louis Williams (26) - 1.3/3.6 - .362

Carlos Delfino (30) - 1.6/4.4 - .360

J.R. Smith (27) - 1.9/5.5 - .347

Kirk Hinrich (31) - 1.0/2.8 - .346

What might be available via trade based on rumours:

PLAYER (age next season) - 3pt attempts/3pt made - percentage

Jordan Farmar (28) - 1.4/3.2 - .440

Kyle Korver (31) - 1.8/4.2 - .435

Ben Gordon (28) - 1.2/2.8 - .429

JJ Redick (28) - 1.7/4.1 - .418

Marvin Williams - (26) - 1.0/2.6 - .389

Randy Foye (29) - 2.0/5.1 - .386

Wesley Matthews (26) - 2.0/5.1 - .383

Jameer Nelson (30) - 1.5/4.1 - .377

Anthony Morrow (27) - 1.7/4.6 - .371

Devin Harris (29) - 1.2/3.4 - .362

Dorell Wright (27) - 1.7/4.8 - .360

Kevin Martin (28) - 2.0/5.6 - .347

Who do you think fits Toronto?

Via free agency, I'd look at:

Steve Novak (29)- 2.5/5.2 - .472
    Ersan Ilyasova (25)- .9/1.9 - .455
    Danny Green (25) - 1.5/3.5 - .436
    Courtney Lee (27) - 1.5/3.7 - .401
    Nicolas Batum (24) - 1.8/4.6 - .391
    Leandro Barbosa (30) - 1.0/2.7 - .382
    O.J. Mayo (25) - 1.5/4.2 - .364
    Kirk Hinrich (31) - 1.0/2.8 - .346

Danny Green is the guy I think the Raptors will be looking at HARD.

Via trade, I'd look at:

Ben Gordon (28) - 1.2/2.8 - .429
    JJ Redick (28) - 1.7/4.1 - .418
    Marvin Williams - (26) - 1.0/2.6 - .389
    Wesley Matthews (26) - 2.0/5.1 - .383
    Dorell Wright (27) - 1.7/4.8 - .360
    Kevin Martin (28) - 2.0/5.6 - .347

Some of the guys via trade would have to have other young players or picks coming along with them. They might not be reasonable or feasible.

Comment

Was mentioned in another thread, but Brandon Rush. He's a good defender too.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

With Chandler Parsons coming through, I would look at Chase Budinger.

Comment

I'll have some orange juice with a side of mayo please.

Comment

OJ Mayo needs to be the guy. He brings play making ability as well.

Comment

I really like Danny Green. Look at what he's done with the Spurs this year, starting 38 of the 66 games he played. More than 9 points per game on a 1st seed, that's pretty decent. I like him since he was a Tar Heel.

Comment

I'm up for getting Morrow, Reddick, Lee, Matthews, Batum or Mayo. Getting Batum would kill two birds with one stone, getting a legit SF and a three point shooter. Maybe we could add Jeremy Lamb to the mix as well. I think this team would make huge progress this those two additions.

Comment

Outside of the age thing, you know who's a fantastic shooter?

Steve Nash
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    OJ Mayo needs to be the guy. He brings play making ability as well.
                    And fantastic defensive skills.

Comment

Mirza Teletovic

Comment

In no way mean to discourage you from all the hard work you have done but imo it is more complex than percentages. Bargnani came into the league with good 3 shooting and with lots of work over the summer can hit some good numbers - Calderon with work can do the same. The problem is that they are volume shooters. You not only need to know how well players shoot but how timely their shots were to truly rate them. Don't see J. Kidd on the list but would consider him because he has timely shooting (the key component) that answers runs and can win close games. I have said the same as DC about having to come into the league as a good shooter....., but glad to see the faithful taking it more seriously from him.
                        With two exceptional three point shooters, Bargnani 50% volume three pointers and DD shooting better, this is going to be a Raptors team like we have never seen before!!

Keep in mind that this was a poor shooting year for a lot of players. The numbers might be skewed because of the shortened season where some players were slow to get on track!

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
                          In no way mean to discourage you from all the hard work you have done but imo it is more complex than percentages. Bargnani came into the league with good 3 shooting and with lots of work over the summer can hit some good numbers - Calderon with work can do the same. The problem is that they are volume shooters. You not only need to know how well players shoot but how timely their shots were to truly rate them. Don't see J. Kidd on the list but would consider him because he has timely shooting (the key component) that answers runs and can win close games. I have said the same as DC about having to come into the league as a good shooter....., but glad to see the faithful taking it more seriously from him.
                          Well, if you want to be taken as seriously, you shouldn't propose Kidd at the same time as saying that good shooters have to come info the league as good shooters. Regardless of what you think of hij now as a shooter, when he came in the leaugue he did not exactly do so as a shooter...

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            Well, if you want to be taken as seriously, you shouldn't propose Kidd at the same time as saying that good shooters have to come info the league as good shooters. Regardless of what you think of hij now as a shooter, when he came in the leaugue he did not exactly do so as a shooter...
                            Thought he was a good example because even as a poor shooter he still had the ability to stick timely shots. Kind of highlights that they are two distinctly different skill. Though, it's more common in good shooters, highest shooting percentage isn't everything.

Comment

Draft wrote: View Post
                              With two exceptional three point shooters, Bargnani 50% volume three pointers and DD shooting better, this is going to be a Raptors team like we have never seen before!!

Keep in mind that this was a poor shooting year for a lot of players. The numbers might be skewed because of the shortened season where some players were slow to get on track!
                              I went through the top 122 players at NBA.com.

Free agents are listed.

Guys available (possibly) via trade are listed.

A lot of guys are left out from the top 122 - especially with the .345 cut off - due to unavailability.

Also, no draft picks are listed as the Raptors have the 2 second rounders (John Jenkins?).

For players currently in the league, I'd like to think it is a comprehensive list. I might of missed a couple of players but not many do I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X