Everything Wince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything Wince

This interview was posted in the Free Agency thread by KingMaxwell, but I wanted to shine a little more light on it, as he makes some great quotes throughout the interview.

Catching Up With Vince Carter

On possibly signing with the Raptors:
    Vince Carter wrote:
    Of course it’s something that I would definitely consider. And it’s something in the free agency this year, once everything was worked out with Phoenix and I was a free agent, that was a question I was asked by my family and by my agent. He’s like ‘what if?’ and I was like, ‘hey, definitely, we’ll hear what they have to say.’ So I never rule it out.
    Initially reflecting on his time with the Raptors:
    Vince Carter wrote:
    It’s where it all started for me, my opportunity. Glen Grunwald, Butch Carter gave me the opportunity. I remember day one, Butch Carter comes to me and says ‘Vince, we’re gonna show the world what you’re made of, who you are and what you’re about.’ Day two, Charles Oakley puts his arm around me and says ‘Hey, I’m gonna show you the ropes.’ And from there I felt comfortable. It was a young kid coming to a new city, just growing up in front of millions of people. It was just an unbelievable experience. You’re going to go through ups and downs in your life, in your career, that we all go through. That’s understood. But they were all worth it, because it adds character. It was just phenomenal. You can learn. Eight years removed from it, you’ve seen so many things happen to other players, and you can kind of really enlighten them if ever asked. It’s been a wonderful ride. It’s just hard to believe it’s been 14 years now, and I’m still playing the game I love.
    On the perception that Toronto is a bad city to play in:
    Vince Carter wrote:
    Toronto is one of the best kept secrets, and that was one of the tough things about convincing other players to come play for the Raptors at the time is that they didn’t know. And that was one of the things I was trying to push at the time with the NBA, along with the fans and the organization, help Toronto gain recognition and put us on the map. Let the world see who we are and what we’re about and what the city of Toronto is about. I can speak on behalf of some of my friends, basketball fans, when they come to Toronto, they fall in love with it. They say ‘Oh man, I love Toronto, I love Toronto.’ It’s just that on a national level, it wasn’t known and it didn’t gain that recognition. We had some pretty good teams, but we had to get into the playoffs to be recognized. And it was just tough. And that was one of the things I talked about when people said ‘your team is underrated.’ I used to say ‘hey, give us a shot. Let us put Toronto and Canada on the map. Let us be seen.’ It’s unfortunate. It has happened, but it just hasn’t happened consistently. And I still think the younger players in the league now have no idea how great Canada is.
    On whether he hopes to one day be Accepted by Raptors Fans:
    Vince Carter wrote:
    Yeah, of course you hope for it. You know, that’s where I started. I have so many memories. Like with the questions you’ve asked, it’s brought chills because you just think back to where it started. I was able to play in a time in this city where it was, it wasn’t known, it wasn’t a popular place to be. But at the same time, there was love. When we were able to beat the Knicks for that first playoff win, I recalled making the first basket in the Air Canada Centre. That’s something that I’ll never ever forget. So I do hope for it because every time I walk in there now and I look up there, I just say, ‘Hey man, I made history here.’ You know? I won Rookie of the Year here. I won the slam dunk contest representing Toronto. That’s never been done. I have plenty of memories and you definitely hope for it.

What do you say guys? Water under the bridge? C'moon. C'mooooon!
    Yes
    45.76%
    No
    54.24%

A trip down memory lane

He gets what he deserves and what he deserves was determined by his actions. This many people can't be wrong and as far as I know he never apologized to the city for publicly demanding a trade and killing any leverage the club could have used to move him for as close to worth a possible. He achieved this by tanking games and faking an injury. There were even reports after one game that he told the opposing team what they were about to run in the closing minute of a close game. His actions destroyed the team for years to come. He showed a lack of professionalism, honor and integrity and for that he deserves to be heckled for as long as people feel its warranted.

Comment

Strength in numbers, yes. More truth in numbers, no.

He'll get an ovation, his last game at the acc. But, until then the boos should come louder than ever.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I can't do it.

He is cut from the same cloth as Carmelo Anthony in my opinion. He admittedly quit on his team and forced his way out. I can't cheer for a quitter. If he forced his way out while continuing to play hard that would be a different story but he didn't so I can't cheer for him under any circumstances..... except maybe if he donated me a kidney but then I'd cheer him as a person and not a basketball player. I'd still boo him in Toronto as long as he was wearing a basketball jersey.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
          Strength in numbers, yes. More truth in numbers, no.

He'll get an ovation, his last game at the acc. But, until then the boos should come louder than ever.
          Alright, well truth in facts and the numbers support the reality of what transpired.

Comment

If you asked me this question earlier in the year I probably would have said Yes.. but after thinking about it some more, I'm going to have to say No.

... and here are 10 reasons why:

Comment

I absolutely love Vince. He was my childhood hero, the first player who's name I ever knew, the first three jerseys I ever owned were his, and even after he was traded, he was my favourite player. He's the reason I ever got into basketball, and I'm sure a lot of Canadians will agree. I'm sure if you ask Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, and Myck Kabongo who their favourite player was growing up, they'd say Vince. Hell, Kevin Durant was a Raptors fan while growing up in D.C. because of Vince. When I found out Vince was traded I practically balled my eyes out. I don't think I was old enough to understand the implications at the time, so I may be biased, but I think he is the greatest Raptor ever, and I will never boo him.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                If you asked me this question earlier in the year I probably would have said Yes.. but after thinking about it some more, I'm going to have to say No.

... and here are 10 reasons why:

Motherf*cker.... he can keep the kidney. I'd rather die. (just joking and I know organ transplants is probably not great joke material).

Regarding Vince Carter, as Johnny Cash said at the end of A Boy Named Sue: "I still hate that name!"

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  He gets what he deserves and what he deserves was determined by his actions. This many people can't be wrong and as far as I know he never apologized to the city for publicly demanding a trade and killing any leverage the club could have used to move him for as close to worth a possible. He achieved this by tanking games and faking an injury. There were even reports after one game that he told the opposing team what they were about to run in the closing minute of a close game. His actions destroyed the team for years to come. He showed a lack of professionalism, honor and integrity and for that he deserves to be heckled for as long as people feel its warranted.
                  +1
                  my sentiment exactly

Comment

Hopefully you're not Dutch.

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Alright, well truth in facts and the numbers support the reality of what transpired.
                        Sure.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I feel I am starting to forgive him. I feel his career was cursed after the Raps and never achieved a championship or success after he left. KNowing that, I think we should come to terms with each other. I was one of his biggest haters, but if he is man enough to give Toronto props, he started this whole thing, so maybe I can man up and forgive.

Comment

He showed a lack of professionalism, honor and integrity and for that he deserves to be heckled for as long as people feel its warranted.
                            But I guess thats my question; how long is truly warranted? While keeping in mind everything he did do for this franchise.

Comment

And why don't more people blame Babcock for the horrible return we got for Vince?
                              Vince didn't trade himself. He didn't set up the deal. He didn't pick who we got for him.

He was still Vince Carter, and any sufficiently capable GM should have been able to net a much better return.

Comment

Working...
                              X