Everything Wince

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
    I absolutely love Vince. He was my childhood hero, the first player who's name I ever knew, the first three jerseys I ever owned were his, and even after he was traded, he was my favourite player. He's the reason I ever got into basketball, and I'm sure a lot of Canadians will agree. I'm sure if you ask Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, and Myck Kabongo who their favourite player was growing up, they'd say Vince. Hell, Kevin Durant was a Raptors fan while growing up in D.C. because of Vince. When I found out Vince was traded I practically balled my eyes out. I don't think I was old enough to understand the implications at the time, so I may be biased, but I think he is the greatest Raptor ever, and I will never boo him.
    I'm with you Max.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      And why don't more people blame Babcock for the horrible return we got for Vince?
      Vince didn't trade himself. He didn't set up the deal. He didn't pick who we got for him.

He was still Vince Carter, and any sufficiently capable GM should have been able to net a much better return.
      i wouldnt let bobcock back either

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        If you asked me this question earlier in the year I probably would have said Yes.. but after thinking about it some more, I'm going to have to say No.

... and here are 10 reasons why:

This.

Fuck Wince.

That is all.

Comment

I used to boo him, but now I don't really care what he did. In all honesty he was the 1 thing that put T dot & Canada on the map for basketball fans. If he didn't do what he did who knows, we could've lost our team like Van City. He was my favorite player growing up, i think i might have even shed a tear when i saw what he did in the slam dunk competition.... That was and still is one of the best moments in NBA history. Yeah there's a lot we can bitch about, but guys you can't deny when it was good... and the Raptors were rolling.... nothing was better, I thank him for that to this day. I wish he put more effort into his career though, he could of been one of the elite...but he never quite got there...I don't really care about you guys but i forgave him a long time ago, he's only human...
          Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

And why don't more people blame Babcock for the horrible return we got for Vince?
            Vince didn't trade himself. He didn't set up the deal. He didn't pick who we got for him.

He was still Vince Carter, and any sufficiently capable GM should have been able to net a much better return.
            He quit playing.

He made it well known he wanted out.

Every time he touched the floor or anyone can in his personal space the reaction was one you'd expect from a shotgun blast.

The return in the circumstances was never going to be close to fair value but I do agree Babcock did a horrible, horrible job on that trade. However that is trumped by the fact Carter intentionally destroyed his return to Toronto.

Comment

There was a deal available if memory serves, for Ray Allen at the time and I specifically remember Allen being asked about it and his reply was along the lines of "I would be happy to play in Toronto if I'm traded for Vince." Babcock should have been shot for that deal. That being said, Vince did behave fucking horribly and the "top ten reasons to hate VC" reminded me of just how bad it was. BUT, I will applaud him at his last appearance here and if he played for us which won't happen, I'd think it would be stupid not to applaud him. He was my favorite player like any of you, and in the end karma bit him in the ass. We're even

Found a link that discusses that possibility of the VC for Allen trade at the time not that it matters much now but proves Babcock could've likely done a bit better then what we got.

http://www.insidehoops.com/carter-allen-091804.shtml
              Last edited by Thornbury; Sat May 12, 2012, 10:46 AM. Reason: Found link

Comment

Forgive. Never forget.

Grudges are stupid anyways. How many guys on every team have wanted out since then?

GTFOI !!!
                If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

No sense livin and dwelling on the shadows of the past
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I was a huge raptors fan and got really into them when I was in High School. My dad and I waited 2 hours in line before a raptors game to get a signed vince carter poster. I was such a huge Vince fan that I remember arguing in the cafeteria at during lunches that Vince was the most valuable player in the NBA, more valuable than Allen Iverson, Kobe Bryant or Shaq. In my defense I argued not that he was the most talented, or dominate, but had the most ticket draw and therefore would make the team the most money. But I still considered him an elite franchise player guy. (which for his first two seasons he looked like he would be). The family computer was always decorated with the latest raptors wallpaper to use as a screen saver.

Fast forward to first year university, I'd seen vince quit on so many plays that after contemplating it for about two weeks, I decided that I was no longer a fan of the Raptors. And couldn't be as long as Vince was on the team. I took down the autographed poster from my dorm room (it made the trip to uni with me) tore it up and burned it in a garbage pail. I didn't watch a single raps game until the year bargs was drafted.

It wasn't until I started watching the raps again and reading up on basketball that I realized that I wasn't the only one who felt so let down, by Vince.

My disappointment in him has softened quite a bit in the last few years, and I think he's had the career he deserves. But I would never want him back on the raps, mostly because I don't think he adds any great value, and hasn't been a meaningful component with a playoff team since the nets, and they did better with keyon martin than with vince, with pretty much the rest of the same team.

The only way I could truly forgive him is if he signed with the raps for practically nothing, and sat on he bench, except that somehow miraculously, he became unguardable in a playoffs series and essentially is the difference maker in that series. I can't see that happening, but that's pretty much the only he could make up for the philly series. Had we won that series there's a good chance we also beat the cassel-allen-robinson bucks and win the eastern conference. But it didn't happen that way. I don't think Vince has the skills or the killer instinct he displayed in his first couple of seasons in the League so there's just no chance that he'll be able to make it up to us.

but I don't really care to put forth the energy to boo him either.
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Cleveland will cheer LeBron before Toronto cheers Carter.

Even at the height of his popularity, even when I thought he might be the most talented player in the league, there was always a nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that he thought he was somehow above Toronto. That's reflected in the quote at the beginning of this thread when he talks about how he "made history here".

He thinks we should cheer him for what he did for us, rather than cheer for him because of who he is.

It's hard to see that ever happening.

Celebrating the Futility of the Toronto Raptors:
                      http://www.holycraptors.com

Comment

Tesla wrote: View Post

Hopefully you're not Dutch.
                        LOL exactly, and that sport center top 10 just re fueled my anger. at least he hasn't won shit since he left
                        No Dissrespect...
                        With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Best player the Raps have ever had in a Raps uniform (while playing for the team) no question. But he gave up on the team. You don't do that while collecting the money. He could have gone to Babcock and said, in secret, "work out a deal for me." Raps could have got something decent back.

You don't decide the marriage is over, then start screwing around on your spouse without telling them. If you do, don't expect forgiveness.

Comment

Thornbury wrote: View Post
                            There was a deal available if memory serves, for Ray Allen at the time and I specifically remember Allen being asked about it and his reply was along the lines of "I would be happy to play in Toronto if I'm traded for Vince." Babcock should have been shot for that deal. That being said, Vince did behave fucking horribly and the "top ten reasons to hate VC" reminded me of just how bad it was. BUT, I will applaud him at his last appearance here and if he played for us which won't happen, I'd think it would be stupid not to applaud him. He was my favorite player like any of you, and in the end karma bit him in the ass. We're even

Found a link that discusses that possibility of the VC for Allen trade at the time not that it matters much now but proves Babcock could've likely done a bit better then what we got.

http://www.insidehoops.com/carter-allen-091804.shtml
                            My interpretation of the article is the author giving a scenario, asking Ray Allen about it, and Allen saying he would have no qualms with Toronto. Babcock could have been and most likely would have been all over it. The problem is it says nothing about Seattle front office and what they were thinking at the time. Maybe they, like many other in the league, weren't about to give a fair trade because of the situation. Why pay market value or close to it when you can get it for .25cents on the dollar.

Comment

Id bring him back to the Raps orginization, just to be mascot so he can do his dunks with the pop a wheelie shit afterwards and no one will have to see his dumbass under the costume. No trampolines though.
                              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

But I guess thats my question; how long is truly warranted? While keeping in mind everything he did do for this franchise.
                                As long as you, Joey, feel it is warranted. Everyone else will do that same and if I were a betting man I would place my money on that being a long time. You're not going to change people's mind with a thread Joey. I told you what Carter would have to do to start the healing process. To start fixing this. It's foolish to forgive someone who does not look for forgiveness and does not feel he did anything wrong.

They do blame Babcock for a bad return but those who are remembering the facts can also realize that Babcock was boxed into a losing situation. One in which he worked to the best of his abilities to rectify. This is the key fundamental principle you're missing. Babcock can look back on his time here and know that regardless of his performance he managed with integrity and to the best of his ability. He's a honorable man even if he's a mediocre general manager.

Comment

Working...
                                X