View Poll Results: Would you ever cheer for Vince again?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 45.76%
  • No

32 54.24%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Wince

Post Thanks / Like

Quote your mom wrote: View Post
    I think this whole thread is an unknown, but during our darkest ages after VC left there's no question somebody had thoughts of moving the franchise, and killing the International team idea with the Raps and Grizz.
    Absolutely right this thread is an unknown but I have never heard a credible source for the Raptors leaving Toronto.

As for the 'dark ages' they lasted a little over a year. Wince was traded in December 2004. Colangelo was hired in February 2006 which ushered in a new era of hope and optimism (that was short lived) plus 2 playoff appearances 2 years later.

If anything, I think the last year and half would be considered the dark ages for the Raptors and, outside of typical ignorant media and pseudo-US media wannabes, there is little credible peep of the Raptors going anywhere.

Regardless of the what ifs, Carter needs to be appreciated and we need to get over what happened. He's done more for the Raps than any player in history, and that deserves a standing O.
    I respect your opinion but I have to take the other side.

Carter does not need to be appreciated. I consider giving up on a franchise and its fan base that pay you millions and millions of dollars and, not only give up, but ensure they can't get anything near fair value is unforgivable. Carter might have done more than any player in history but he also did as much damage as any player in its history, and that deserves continued boo's.

This might be drastic but I'll try to give an example to illustrate how people have different views:

Some people can forgive their spouse/partner for cheating on them, others cannot. Whatever it is people deal with betrayal differently than others. There is a fine line between love and hate.

So back to Carter, I can respect people forgiving Carter but I can also respect people for continuing the grudge.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If the raptors had done what they should have done (find out what Vince wanted, realize it wasnt going to happen, then quietly find a suitor) instead of getting rid of him for pennies on the dollar, this franchise wouldnt have been put back the 5+ years that it has.

If we drafted who we should have and not guys like Rafael Arujao, we'd be in a better spot.

Don't blame Carter for the mistakes of a poorly managed franchise. He still should get the ovation for what he has done.
    Maybe you do not realize that Wince was a defacto gm for awhile there. He was quite instrumental in the new contracts given JYD, Alvin Williams and AD before he signed his extension. He called it a championship team. Let me take u down memory lane:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/r...-01-carter.htm

It was he who got the Raps to sign Hakeem and was pretty pissed that they drafted Bosh. So please I think you may have actually forgotten how things really were at the time. "Find out what Vince wanted"??? He told them...and they bent over. "Quietly find a suitor"? Do you know any timelines on this? Do you really believe that when VC started pulling his pouting bs other GMa were going to offer more than "pennies on the dollar"? The Raptors should have nailed his ass on the bench and possibly fined him (since they had lost him already) and helped raise his value by letting the shark gms that he wasnt going to be got for nothing.

VC abrogated his contract and effed this organization. It's the org. we have always (well managed or not)...not any single player. You may think Carter deserves a pass...why? Because he performed high flying dunks, overdid the pain threshold thing and pouted? Good luck on those measurements applied to the athletes you admire.

PS...are you still a Raptors fan considering the state of the team today? If you are why cant you expect your star franchise player at least honor the terms of his contract which he signed freely and happy to do so at the time...and then leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. Carter really grabbed a lot of power leading up to him signing the extension. He needed assurances that they were going to kiss his feet before he signed. *rolls eyes*

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, I completely agree. I remember those days, as if he was playing fantasy GM or something to that effect. LOL. I never really thought of those points in that matter I guess. A part of me was hoping that he was really injured and wasn't giving up. Blah. I would still give him a cheer here and there, but that is all. I wouldn't be really enthusiatic anymore. But I'd be over the bashing Carter feeling.
    #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

he gets the ovation he deserves everytime he comes to toronto

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, booing is a bit too petulant all this time later...but that's just me. What I object to/find a bit strange is this glorification thing for a guy who clearly did something that was definitely inappropriate from a contractual and emotional commitment to his team as if he was entitled to be treated more than special... and has yet to express any apology on the matter.

His sweater in the rafters indeed!

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys believe that what Vince Carter did (asked for a trade and mentally checked out) beats out LeBron's and Dwight's circus ?
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Do you guys believe that what Vince Carter did (asked for a trade and mentally checked out) beats out LeBron's and Dwight's circus ?
    worse then lebron and less douchy then howard but less honor as well. howard never quit, just insisted he wanted to be everywhere but where he was and play with every other player. his teammates must hate him. lebron was free to do what he wanted and most likely thought he was doing a good thing with the charity. i blame his reps for that as anyone with a brain would have seen the bad pr that was coming from that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    LeBron was a free agent and had the right to leave. He really owed Cleveland nothing - he fulfilled his contract. My issue with LeBron is how he went about it and teaming up with 2 other all-stars in an attempt to win. I find people younger than me see nothing wrong with that but that was not how I was raised. Clearly it is a value call and people have different values. I think back to playing on the outdoor courts and winner stayed. If my team lost a bunch of times, there is no way I was going to take the best players off 2 other teams to try and win - you just didn't do that. Also, I just can't see players from the 80's and early '90's teaming up to win.

But back to Wince....

As for Dwight, I don't feel it was as bad as Wince but I think it is in the same neighbourhood. He had some games this year where one could definitely question his commitment.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bring Vince back?

http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-vince-carter/

RaptorBlog(Scott): One of the reasons a lot of Raptors fans might be interested in your possible free agency plans is that a lot of fans hold on to the hope that you’ll finish your career in a Toronto Raptors uniform. Assuming the Raptors submitted an appealing offer in that situation, is that something you would consider?

Vince: Of course it’s something that I would definitely consider. And it’s something in the free agency this year, once everything was worked out with Phoenix and I was a free agent, that was a question I was asked by my family and by my agent. He’s like ‘what if?’ and I was like, ‘hey, definitely, we’ll hear what they have to say.’ So I never rule it out.

I hope he comes back. He should end his career here. And to be real, I'm over it. It happened how ever long ago, yes what he did was soft as **** but he is the best player to ever player here and the reason a lot of people got into this team.

I think Carter still has a year or 2 left and would welcome him back

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it is because I was an NBA fan before Toronto got a team, but I became a fan from day one as the Raptors became a home town team to cheer for. Vince Carter did not make me a fan, and they truly unprofessional way that he forced his way makes me to never want to have him on the team again. He was a flash in the pan for Toronto, nice highlights, some big scoring years, and a couple seasons of hope.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Raptors Republic Starter theycallmeZZ's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We already had a thread on this same topic quite a while ago.

Raptors Republic Rookie big red's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It would also look pretty good on the organization. A player of Carter's importance choosing (because it will be his choice) to go back to the team where he made a name for himself. It would really send the message that he left because of the management at the time, not because of the city, the team, the fans, or anything else. I think he'd be making a pretty classy move coming back.

I guess the real question is if we want/need/can use his skills and services.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote big red wrote: View Post
    It would also look pretty good on the organization. A player of Carter's importance choosing (because it will be his choice) to go back to the team where he made a name for himself. It would really send the message that he left because of the management at the time, not because of the city, the team, the fans, or anything else. I think he'd be making a pretty classy move coming back.

I guess the real question is if we want/need/can use his skills and services.
    vets min... sure. why not. Maybe we can retire his jersey after. also i think he would be good as a back up for derozan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote WJF wrote: View Post
    Maybe it is because I was an NBA fan before Toronto got a team, but I became a fan from day one as the Raptors became a home town team to cheer for. Vince Carter did not make me a fan, and they truly unprofessional way that he forced his way makes me to never want to have him on the team again. He was a flash in the pan for Toronto, nice highlights, some big scoring years, and a couple seasons of hope.

Thanks, but no thanks.
    Its been years. let go of the ill will towards carter. im sure if you were in his shoes you would have left too. our front office was straight garbage at the time and thats great that you where a fan from day one not everyone else was but VC put Toronto on the map.

I don't know about you guys but I wasn't holding my grudge so much against Vince as I was against Babcock for the garbage deal we got for him... Everytime I see Vince now all I think is Eric Williams and Alvin dislocating 3 fingers...

Babcock was more responsible for screwing this team up in that trade than Vince leaving
    Last edited by bounty; Mon Jun 25th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote bounty wrote: View Post
    http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-vince-carter/

I hope he comes back. He should end his career here. And to be real, I'm over it. It happened how ever long ago, yes what he did was soft as **** but he is the best player to ever player here and the reason a lot of people got into this team.
    "
    Vince Carter did not make me a fan, and they truly unprofessional way that he forced his way makes me to never want to have him on the team again. He was a flash in the pan for Toronto, nice highlights, some big scoring years, and a couple seasons of hope.

Thanks, but no thanks."

not soft how he left, the words are unprofessional, disloyal, dishonorable.

"hey, definitely, we’ll hear what they have to say."
    fuck you vince

Post Thanks / Like

I made a whole Thread about this very Interview a while back.
    Was pretty clear what the majority of people thought about that idea. Haha

The wound is still too fresh for many people.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. That’s nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He comes back and I stop watching the raptors. It'd be like getting back together with an abusive ex.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll never happen. Not after how he acted on the way out and it's not like there is a short supply of better wings.

Edit: Threads merged.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't have a problem with it at the veteran's minimum to round out the roster (in a Rasual Butler-type, end-of-bench role). I wouldn't expect him to be a major contributor on the court, but it sounds like he's learned his lesson from the past, and might be able to help some of the youngsters learn from his mistakes (in terms of professionalism).

But I wouldn't honour him in any way, and I certainly don't think he deserves his jersey retired.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information