X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ebrian wrote: View Post
    .... Also, people make stupid mistakes.
    Here I go again!!

Yes, most definitely and who amongst us have not. I would however posit that in the very vast # of cases these would be committed because of a momentary lapse of reason, insanity, illogic, etc (emphasis on "momentary"). However what our friend did and I might add with a lot of support from his advisers and hangerons was premeditated, over a significant period of time and unconscionable to his team, the same fans who support and adore him even today and himself/legacy. Unlike many who commit egregious errors sometimes he knew exactly what he was doing. Of course he has never apologized either. I just like my type of player to be talented as well as with character. Holding your team and franchise hostage to the point of even lowering his trade value is a bit much for the character end of the equation. Just not the type to go into a foxhole with.

Comment

• Vince & Me

For me, Carter was a big reason why I went from a casual basketball fan, to an eventual Raptor fanatic. Someone who would choose a Raptor game over a Leaf game - being as the Leafs' winning ways have gnawed on me so much, there isn't much flesh left. Granted, should the guys in blue show signs of life again, I'll probably pay more attention.

Would I like to see Vince in a Raptor uniform once again?

A part of me would, just like a part of me would like to see Roy Halladay finish his career in Tarana. Maybe its' just nostalgia kicking in, but when Vince was here, Raptors were a team on the cusp. Then we hit the proverbial "Canadian wall", and things went down hill from there.

For me, Vince was (and still is), the real All-Star of past seasons - despite how well CB did during his internship here. One can only imagine where Vince & McGrady could have taken us - had Tracy not let his ego get in the way.

Carter was/is the elusive Star we seek, and to which some are prepared to continue living in the depths of hell, until that Star arrives.

But all that being said, having Vince in a Raptor uniform just doesn't seem right. We've moved on - booing fans aside - and hopefully our new direction of youth and older 26/27 year olds, will bring us back to respectability. Having Carter in the mix, could upset those chances. And besides, it would be too much of a distraction with all the haters out there.

Comment

• Like Rapthoseleafs, i also transitioned from casual fan to Raps fanatic during the time of VC, oh and couple that with a move to Toronto, hehehe.

I thought he was the greatest ever, he had attitude, charisma, finesse and the game to back it all up. Unfortunately, he used the exact opposite of these characteristics to force his way out of Toronto. He sulked, he bantered, he pouted and completely played lousy.

I use the same argument when talking about Bosh, i truly appreciate what they did for Toronto, how they put Toronto on the map, but while they were doing that, we as fans also put them in a pedestal, treated them like the superstars that they were. Its not like we bad-mouthed them while they played here. For me, credit was given when it was due, that was it. When they left, that was a totally different chapter, and unfortunately, that's what most of the fans will forever remember.

So to answer the poll, if he becomes a Raptor again, then yes, i will cheer for him, because that would be another chapter. Would i want for him to come back? Nope. One, because i dont think he ever came to terms with what he did, and two, because of fit.
        Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Mon Jun 25, 2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• bounty wrote: View Post
          http://blogs.thescore.com/raptorblog...-vince-carter/

RaptorBlog(Scott): One of the reasons a lot of Raptors fans might be interested in your possible free agency plans is that a lot of fans hold on to the hope that you’ll finish your career in a Toronto Raptors uniform. Assuming the Raptors submitted an appealing offer in that situation, is that something you would consider?

Vince: Of course it’s something that I would definitely consider. And it’s something in the free agency this year, once everything was worked out with Phoenix and I was a free agent, that was a question I was asked by my family and by my agent. He’s like ‘what if?’ and I was like, ‘hey, definitely, we’ll hear what they have to say.’ So I never rule it out.

I hope he comes back. He should end his career here. And to be real, I'm over it. It happened how ever long ago, yes what he did was soft as **** but he is the best player to ever player here and the reason a lot of people got into this team.

I think Carter still has a year or 2 left and would welcome him back
          I think it's funny when he said "hey, definitely, we’ll hear what they have to say.’ So I never rule it out". I think at this point in his career, his agent is probably the one pleading for teams to sign him, not what teams are going to offer.

Comment

• I hope he comes back. He should end his career here. And to be real, I'm over it. It happened how ever long ago, yes what he did was soft as **** but he is the best player to ever player here and the reason a lot of people got into this team.

I think Carter still has a year or 2 left and would welcome him back
            I really wanted to comment on this whole Vince Carter disucssion I've been seeing over the last little while.

From a completely non-emotional stand point on Vince, bring him back makes no sense. This team is rebuilding and he has been on a decline for years and has become a pretty poor basketball player. He shown no qualities that lead me to believe he'd offer anything you'd want from a veteran. He's not tough, he's not conistent, he's not a leader.

From a completely emotional stand point I would have nothing but complete distain for this organization if they ever even thought about bringing Vince carter back. The guy completely screwed this franchise (long story short got Grunwald fired and then screwed his trade value) in such a tremendous way that he doesn't deserve to be given a second thought. His basketball life since the Raptors has been Karma, and I enjoyed watching him become a running joke in the NBA. Perhaps thats what eased the pain in the first place.

Comment

• I forgave and forgotten a long time ago. Vince was awesome and he put T.O. on the map in the word. Toronto 15 was the number 1 selling jersey at one point. He did what he did for his career. 99% of people would do the same. Really I don't understand why people take it so personal. Let it go!
              Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

• No and anyone who thinks otherwise does not know anything about basketball

Comment

• The question states would I ever "cheer" for him again. The answer has to be yes if he were on the Raptors because as fan you have to support your squad. But I would be terribly disappointed if the Raptors brought him back. To me the move would serve no purpose. People dogged him for not always "showing up" and that was when he was still an elite athlete. Anyone who has watched him play over the past 2-3 years know's that he is finished, and adds nothing of value to any team he signs with.
                  Deadallus

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                    No and anyone who thinks otherwise does not know anything about basketball
                    no, because the salute he deserves is not fit for public?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                      no, because the salute he deserves is not fit for public?
                      Sorry, I thought this thread was about whether or not we should sign him again....

that being said, I don't think that we should cheer for him again, as that would only show how pathetically unsuccessful our franchise has been that we have to debate cheering about a player who did what he did. If we had one other remotely successful player in our history to this point to compare him to we would not be having this discussion.

on the other hand...if you do cheer for him you do know something about basketball...

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                        Sorry, I thought this thread was about whether or not we should sign him again....

that being said, I don't think that we should cheer for him again, as that would only show how pathetically unsuccessful our franchise has been that we have to debate cheering about a player who did what he did. If we had one other remotely successful player in our history to this point to compare him to we would not be having this discussion.

on the other hand...if you do cheer for him you do know something about basketball...
                        this is a salute thread and what he deserves not a re-aquire thread

Comment

• It was a recent "re-acquire" thread that was eventually merged with the older "salute" thread.

Comment

• I'm not sure if this happens in basketball (or anything outside of NFL football?) but if given the opportunity, I'd love to see the Raptors sign Vince Carter just before his retirement so that he can retire as a Raptor.
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                              I'm not sure if this happens in basketball (or anything outside of NFL football?) but if given the opportunity, I'd love to see the Raptors sign Vince Carter just before his retirement so that he can retire as a Raptor.
                              If he signs for the vet. min just to do this, then i'd really be appreciative of the guy.

He's basically saying i want to end my career here, let bygones be bygones.
                              But if he refuses the vet min and demands something higher, then bring on the boos.

Comment

• I wanna see him sign for a vet minimum just to see how the crowd will react. I doubt it will happen. MLSE cares about marketing their product way too much, which is why BC is the GM. Signing Carter is too risky in the sense that maybe some fans will completely abandon the Raptors for bringing back the guy who "screwed us in da bum", where as his production on court would not be enough to justify the move.

It would make for good tv, however. Personally, I wouldn't mind signing him for a veteran's minimum. Let him retire as a Raptor. Had Toronto not have traded for VC and kept Jamison, perhaps the franchise would not exist today.

His brilliance, charisma and explosive dunks allowed basketball to grow in Toronto in ways that cannot be disregarded because of the dramatic fallout.

He could easily sign a minimum with a championship contender like Dallas last year. Signing with Toronto for such contract says he is willing to make amends for his actions instead of chasing a title. It could also mean that he is saving his ass in order to preserve his legacy here.

Like I said, makes for good tv.
                                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                                X