Batum lovers look here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batum lovers look here!!

According to the agent for Portland Trail Blazers forward, Nicolas Batum, they will not be holding off on deals to allow the Trail Blazers to sign a couple of free agents before the team tends to his client, who's a restricted free agent. “The first good offer we get, we're going with that,” Bouna Ndiaye of Comsport Management told CSNNW.com. “We're not waiting for anything.” CSNNW.com

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Im not crazy about the possibility this signing, but by the looks of things if BC is "johnny on the spot" its more than possible to land him.

Isn't Batum a restricted free agent? Portland will have an opportunity to match any offer no matter how quick Colangelo is to act.

Comment

after I posted I realized that...

but it really puts the pressure on portland to either lock him up early or have to pay more in the long run, depending on their FA plans.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Isn't Batum a restricted free agent? Portland will have an opportunity to match any offer no matter how quick Colangelo is to act.
        The issue is other free agents Portland might pursue.

If a team offers a contract which Batum signs, Portland has three days to match. At this time, it looks like Portland has about $15M in cap space (contracts, 1st round picks, and cap holds of players they would like to keep). This assumes Jamal Crawford opts out of his deal. If he doesn't the cap space becomes around $10M.

If Batum signs a deal over $6.4M, the difference is subtracted from their cap space.

Acting Portland GM has said he'd like to use all his cap space and THEN resign Batum using Bird Rights (i.e. ability to go over cap to sign your own players).

If someone offers a rich contract on July 11th, the Blazers are going to have a tough decision to make as it will likely lead to yet another year without the elusive PG they have been seeking for years.

Comment

Portland wants to lock him up AFTER they spend on everyone else. Because they can go over the cap to resign him. If they go over the cap signing him they can't offer him as much
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

having said this I say we throw 5 years 45 million at him and see what happens
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I'm on the 'bring Nash to Toronto' camp, so I'd rather have Bryan invest his time in trying to get Nash here then to try and prevent Portland from matching an offer made to Batum.

If Toronto makes an offer to Batum, those 3 days that it takes Portland to match could mean the end of a Nash to Toronto talk. I think it's too risky personally.

I believe Portland's core going forward will include both Aldridge and Batum. I think it would be devastating to their fan base to lose Batum for nothing when they already lost Oden and Roy to career ending injuries.

However if Portland realizes that Batum is not going to be happy there, then a sign and trade could work for both parties. Davis, Calderon and one of our 2nd rounders for Batum I think would be a good starting point. This way Portland gets a PG who can start for them, and be on an expiring contract (and should not be coming into training camp fat). Plus they get a reliable backup for Aldridge with upside, and a 2nd rounder they can leverage for another trade or to use to strengthen their roster.

But I personally think Batum is going to be a Trailblazer next year.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

If a team offers a contract which Batum signs, Portland has three days to match. At this time, it looks like Portland has about $15M in cap space (contracts, 1st round picks, and cap holds of players they would like to keep). This assumes Jamal Crawford opts out of his deal. If he doesn't the cap space becomes around $10M.

If Batum signs a deal over $6.4M, the difference is subtracted from their cap space.

Acting Portland GM has said he'd like to use all his cap space and THEN resign Batum using Bird Rights (i.e. ability to go over cap to sign your own players).

If someone offers a rich contract on July 11th, the Blazers are going to have a tough decision to make as it will likely lead to yet another year without the elusive PG they have been seeking for years.
                IMO this will be BC's first move: 4 year -$40 mil to Batum (starting $15 mil first year, then 10, 7.5,7.5). He can play 2 or 3 -perfect.
                I believe only 2 other teams would have serious interest (Boston would probably try to resign Green) & Cavs. San Antonio would love to get him, but would have to be sign & trade (unless Nic takes mid level). Brooklyn will wait (don't know for what, probably Howard, or Wallace).
                If Portland matches -no chance they go for Dragic or Nash (both our 2nd options).
                Would Portland take Jose (to make it sign & trade -I doubt it)? More likely let Batum go & go after Dragic. Either way we win.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  I'm on the 'bring Nash to Toronto' camp, so I'd rather have Bryan invest his time in trying to get Nash here then to try and prevent Portland from matching an offer made to Batum.

If Toronto makes an offer to Batum, those 3 days that it takes Portland to match could mean the end of a Nash to Toronto talk. I think it's too risky personally.

I believe Portland's core going forward will include both Aldridge and Batum. I think it would be devastating to their fan base to lose Batum for nothing when they already lost Oden and Roy to career ending injuries.

However if Portland realizes that Batum is not going to be happy there, then a sign and trade could work for both parties. Davis, Calderon and one of our 2nd rounders for Batum I think would be a good starting point. This way Portland gets a PG who can start for them, and be on an expiring contract (and should not be coming into training camp fat). Plus they get a reliable backup for Aldridge with upside, and a 2nd rounder they can leverage for another trade or to use to strengthen their roster.

But I personally think Batum is going to be a Trailblazer next year.
                  I am in full agreement that Batum is going to be a Blazer next year.

However, if Nash truly wants to commit to Toronto then it will happen. It would actually be beneficial for Nash to give Toronto time to manoeuvre to improve the roster before signing.

Nash and Phoenix might already have some agreement set up for sign and trade (I have no idea, just speculating); Toronto could make cap space via trade; or Toronto could amnesty Calderon (unlikely but just saying it could happen to make signing Nash or Batum work).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I found an interesting article on the Batum-Blazer situation. Here is the link:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/5/3/...-cap-situation

The main takeaway is as soon as a team (Lets say Toronto) offers a contract and Batum accepts, Toronto loses the cap space. Portland, on the other hand, is only still obligated to Batum with his cap hold. In other words, the Blazers will have 3 days to spend all their cap space and then they can match the offer. In essence the Blazers can have their cake and eat it too.

Given that teams have 11 days between July 1st and 11th to 'talk' it seems that Batum leaving Portland is even less of a possibility than originally thought (and it wasn't high to begin with). It would be awesome if this year no one committed to anything until July 11th but we know that is not going to happen.

Comment

I was big on Batum earlier this season but as more teams get involved and stakes get higher I am not interested anymore.
                      I would just wait for other teams to make those offers and for portland to make Wes Matthews available to us.

Comment

Matthews is an interesting point. Get a deal done for RGay (reasons and methods aplenty in the trade forum) work a sign and trade for Nash and use the TPE for Matthews to "help" Portland sign their FA targets along with re-signing Batum.

Works for me.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                          Matthews is an interesting point. Get a deal done for RGay (reasons and methods aplenty in the trade forum) work a sign and trade for Nash and use the TPE for Matthews to "help" Portland sign their FA targets along with re-signing Batum.

Works for me.
                          Somebody please explain to me: Why in the world would we even consider going after Granger, Rudy G or Igoudala which are going to cost us 12-16 mil & sizable assets (starting with our 1st rounder) vs making a larger offer (still in 9-12 mil range) to any one of 3 or 4 FAs Wallace, Green, Batum or even Kirilenko (with outside change -less effective & a lot less money to Ilyasova or Beasley). I mean would we not be a better team with P Jones (say our draft choice), JJ, Ilyasova & OJ Mayo vs Rudy Gay????

Comment

i wouldn't include this years pick in any trade. next years or the years after i would include. i'm not high on gay. iggy i would take but in another thread i think it was apollo who said we are doing them a favour by taking the salary, kinda like the cavs taking davis.

i actually didn't like the way they are talking, the first good offer available talk from the agent. batum is going to get paid, but to put that out there seems cheap. same with ilyasova. seems like mark grandler has some nba clients.

i'm in the mayo camp right now and i don't think he would turn down the starting 2 spot, given the chance.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post

Works for me.
                              Works for me, too.

Now does it work for Memphis, Portland, Phoenix, and Colangelo? lol

Comment

Working...
                              X