No announcement yet.

Batum lovers look here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the amount of time it takes to get batum to agree to an offer sheet +3 days is plenty of time for Portland to sign other free agents. I can't see the raps getting batum, unless the pay way above his market price. I'm not certain I like his contract at 10 mill a year let alone the 12 mill a year I think it would take to get him from the blazers.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      the amount of time it takes to get batum to agree to an offer sheet +3 days is plenty of time for Portland to sign other free agents. I can't see the raps getting batum, unless the pay way above his market price. I'm not certain I like his contract at 10 mill a year let alone the 12 mill a year I think it would take to get him from the blazers.
      I sorta understand the reluctance on the salary #s (which btw I agree are the numbers most likely to be hit on)...but, think about it this way...is Batum in Rudy Gay territory skill wise? I mention RG as a comparable since he tends to be the wished for acquisition quite often here. Except we dont give up anyone and I believe that Batum has a higher ceiling. And what does RG make? All that must be done is be convinced that Batum has the goods as a player and has the desired character to be the 1 or 2 option on this team. Gotta roll the dice on an informed decision sometimes These situations dont present themselves too often. There is a reason why Portland will fight to keep him.

Comment

Batum's a nice player, but I don't know if he's worth more than $8 - $9 million a year. He's yet to average over 14 pts in any season and isn't a spectacular rebounder or passer. I really like that he averaged a block and steal this season though.

What I'm fearing the most is if Portland does a sign and trade where they can give him huge $$ and flip him to a team like Toronto for a lot more than he's worth.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
          I sorta understand the reluctance on the salary #s (which btw I agree are the numbers most likely to be hit on)...but, think about it this way...is Batum in Rudy Gay territory skill wise? I mention RG as a comparable since he tends to be the wished for acquisition quite often here. Except we dont give up anyone and I believe that Batum has a higher ceiling. And what does RG make? All that must be done is be convinced that Batum has the goods as a player and has the desired character to be the 1 or 2 option on this team. Gotta roll the dice on an informed decision sometimes These situations dont present themselves too often. There is a reason why Portland will fight to keep him.
          Agreed. Getting Batum even at $12M is a steal compared to Rudy Gays contract. I think Batum could put up similar numbers to Gay given the same shots and minutes, except with much better 3pt shooting and a better FT%. Batum can also play some SG if need be.
          This lineup could surprise some people.

PG: Nash, Marshall (or other draft pick)
          SG: Derozan, Forbes
          SF: Batum, Johnson, Kleiza
          PF: Bargnani, Davis, Amir
          C: Jonas, Gray, Alabi/Magloire

That would put us right around $58M (assuming $10M to Nash and $12M to Batum), leaving the MLE, and Barbosa's TPE for a trade. Not to mention we could move Amir for something, or could have received something in return for Calderon (who I'm assume will be shipped out somehow). Then next year make a run at James Harden in lieu of resigning Demar (or bring Demar back at 6th man type money). OKC will have trouble resigning him financially with Ibaka's contract coming up at the same time. It would be masterful of Colangelo if in 2013-14 our lineup consists of Nash, Harden, Batum, Bargnani, and Jonas. Draft Marshall and he'll be ready to take the reigns from Nash when his contract is up. That to me looks like a real contender.

Comment

I agree that would be a solid lineup, and there's good reason to believe the team can be maintained for many years to come. But the stars would have to align perfectly for it to fall into place.

Comment

I think they are essentially different players.

Nic Batum is more of a spot-up 3 point threat vs Rudy Gay who is more of a mid-range/high post kind of guy.

Maybe by looking at it, Rudy is more of a ball stopper while Nic would definitely fit better in a pick and roll situation, being a legitimate 3 point threat.

Rudy, however, can fit that go to guy especially since he performs well in the clutch.

Perhaps the last argument merits the difference in contracts .... ? It's subject to opinion.

I would be happy with either one, with each one bringing something different. I just like the idea of Rudy Gay as the first player since who knows when that you can put the ball in the end and say, "get me something."
              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

I wont argue your desc. of the games of each player except that I have seen Gay also make some clutch 3pt shots with the game on the line. My argument is that if the powers/scouts with the Raptors believe that Batum can further incorporate into and /or improve his current skill set that this factor (he is still developing and young), he can play multiple positions (SG & SF), his price (salary) and that he may cost nothing in returning assets makes him quite desirable. Again I was just using Gay as a comparable since we dont even know if he is available currently.

Comment

I wont argue your desc. of the games of each player except that I have seen Gay also make some clutch 3pt shots with the game on the line. My argument is that if the powers/scouts with the Raptors believe that Batum can further incorporate into and /or improve his current skill set that this factor (he is still developing and young), he can play multiple positions (SG & SF), his price (salary) and that he may cost nothing in returning assets makes him quite desirable. Again I was just using Gay as a comparable since we dont even know if he is available currently.
                  I agree with you that he is young and developing at age 23. However, may I point out that Rudy Gay is only 25 years old as well?

Like I said, Nic Batum is a really nice piece and I would not be opposed to it. I guess I just see him as a San Antonio guy, where they use penetrators (Parker, Manu and all their other guards - ie: Gary Neal) in pick n roll situations, and they have a guy like Batum (who fits the mold of their SF's) of flashing to the corner for kick out threes.

Defensively, he has all the tools and instincts to be a very good defender, which Rudy Gay has not yet shown.

I guess it's just the question mark whether he can be someone to run the last play for without having others create the shot for him. At this point, I do not think he has that in his game.

I just see him as a Spurs kind of small forward (not to be offensive) at this point.
                  “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Rudy gay's contract is pretty terrible, especially under this new CBA. He will be making $19.3M in 2014/15 and $16.5M next year. We're assuming we can get Batum for $12M per year for 4 years. That means 3 years of Rudy Gay will cost us $53.65M + whatever assets we have to send to Memphis in order to get him, whereas Batum will cost us $48M for 4 years, and no assets. The cost savings are so immense that unless Rudy Gay was leaps and bounds better than Batum all over the court it doesn't make sense to target him instead of Batum. Not to mention we'd have to give up some valuable assets to get Gay, and no assets to get Batum.
                    Batum is still getting better, as you can see since his stats are improved every year. He scores less than Gay because he takes 6 less shots a game, and plays 6 fewer minutes. I'd argue by the time Batum is 25 (same age as Gay), that he will be putting up the same or better numbers, and at a much smaller price tag. Batum even at $14M a year is a better deal than Rudy Gay on his current contract, and I don't think we'd have to go that high to pry him away from Portland, but who knows, if Portland wants to keep him they have the space to match any offer.

Comment

Has the possibility of Wilson Chandler been completely ruled out? Does anyone know what Denver plans to do with him?

Comment

Considering he was just signed long term. I don't think they plan on moving him.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Has the possibility of Wilson Chandler been completely ruled out? Does anyone know what Denver plans to do with him?
                          I still can't shake the idea that Denver signed him just to get him back into the league as a tradeable asset. They're paying him a lot of money to be a backup player, especially in light his hip injury.

I was wondering if he might be a pre-draft target of BC's, using the TPE and a 2nd round pick or two.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                            Considering he was just signed long term. I don't think they plan on moving him.
                            Does he split minutes with Gallo, who for all intents and purposes, was the biggest piece in the Melo trade? Something doesn't add up...

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Does he split minutes with Gallo, who for all intents and purposes, was the biggest piece in the Melo trade? Something doesn't add up...
                              I'd love the Raps to somehow add any 2 of Batum, Gay, Mayo and Chandler. I'd gladly give up DD & JJ to accomplish this and hope another wing is added via the draft as well. Kleiza can stick around as the 4th wing.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                I'd love the Raps to somehow add any 2 of Batum, Gay, Mayo and Chandler. I'd gladly give up DD & JJ to accomplish this and hope another wing is added via the draft as well. Kleiza can stick around as the 4th wing.
                                i think it would have to be a combination of one of batum/mayo and one of gay/chandler. i doubt we can get 2 restricted free agents. but batum/chandler or mayo/chandler would be pretty sweet pickups.

Comment

Working...
                                X