Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 51

Thread: Batum lovers look here!!

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I sorta understand the reluctance on the salary #s (which btw I agree are the numbers most likely to be hit on)...but, think about it this way...is Batum in Rudy Gay territory skill wise? I mention RG as a comparable since he tends to be the wished for acquisition quite often here. Except we dont give up anyone and I believe that Batum has a higher ceiling. And what does RG make? All that must be done is be convinced that Batum has the goods as a player and has the desired character to be the 1 or 2 option on this team. Gotta roll the dice on an informed decision sometimes These situations dont present themselves too often. There is a reason why Portland will fight to keep him.
    I think they are essentially different players.

    Nic Batum is more of a spot-up 3 point threat vs Rudy Gay who is more of a mid-range/high post kind of guy.

    Maybe by looking at it, Rudy is more of a ball stopper while Nic would definitely fit better in a pick and roll situation, being a legitimate 3 point threat.

    Rudy, however, can fit that go to guy especially since he performs well in the clutch.

    Perhaps the last argument merits the difference in contracts .... ? It's subject to opinion.

    I would be happy with either one, with each one bringing something different. I just like the idea of Rudy Gay as the first player since who knows when that you can put the ball in the end and say, "get me something."
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,704
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I wont argue your desc. of the games of each player except that I have seen Gay also make some clutch 3pt shots with the game on the line. My argument is that if the powers/scouts with the Raptors believe that Batum can further incorporate into and /or improve his current skill set that this factor (he is still developing and young), he can play multiple positions (SG & SF), his price (salary) and that he may cost nothing in returning assets makes him quite desirable. Again I was just using Gay as a comparable since we dont even know if he is available currently.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    685
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    I wont argue your desc. of the games of each player except that I have seen Gay also make some clutch 3pt shots with the game on the line. My argument is that if the powers/scouts with the Raptors believe that Batum can further incorporate into and /or improve his current skill set that this factor (he is still developing and young), he can play multiple positions (SG & SF), his price (salary) and that he may cost nothing in returning assets makes him quite desirable. Again I was just using Gay as a comparable since we dont even know if he is available currently.
    I agree with you that he is young and developing at age 23. However, may I point out that Rudy Gay is only 25 years old as well?

    Like I said, Nic Batum is a really nice piece and I would not be opposed to it. I guess I just see him as a San Antonio guy, where they use penetrators (Parker, Manu and all their other guards - ie: Gary Neal) in pick n roll situations, and they have a guy like Batum (who fits the mold of their SF's) of flashing to the corner for kick out threes.

    Defensively, he has all the tools and instincts to be a very good defender, which Rudy Gay has not yet shown.

    I guess it's just the question mark whether he can be someone to run the last play for without having others create the shot for him. At this point, I do not think he has that in his game.

    I just see him as a Spurs kind of small forward (not to be offensive) at this point.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

    -- Charles Barkley

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Rudy gay's contract is pretty terrible, especially under this new CBA. He will be making $19.3M in 2014/15 and $16.5M next year. We're assuming we can get Batum for $12M per year for 4 years. That means 3 years of Rudy Gay will cost us $53.65M + whatever assets we have to send to Memphis in order to get him, whereas Batum will cost us $48M for 4 years, and no assets. The cost savings are so immense that unless Rudy Gay was leaps and bounds better than Batum all over the court it doesn't make sense to target him instead of Batum. Not to mention we'd have to give up some valuable assets to get Gay, and no assets to get Batum.
    Batum is still getting better, as you can see since his stats are improved every year. He scores less than Gay because he takes 6 less shots a game, and plays 6 fewer minutes. I'd argue by the time Batum is 25 (same age as Gay), that he will be putting up the same or better numbers, and at a much smaller price tag. Batum even at $14M a year is a better deal than Rudy Gay on his current contract, and I don't think we'd have to go that high to pry him away from Portland, but who knows, if Portland wants to keep him they have the space to match any offer.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Has the possibility of Wilson Chandler been completely ruled out? Does anyone know what Denver plans to do with him?
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Considering he was just signed long term. I don't think they plan on moving him.

  7. #27
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Has the possibility of Wilson Chandler been completely ruled out? Does anyone know what Denver plans to do with him?
    I still can't shake the idea that Denver signed him just to get him back into the league as a tradeable asset. They're paying him a lot of money to be a backup player, especially in light his hip injury.

    I was wondering if he might be a pre-draft target of BC's, using the TPE and a 2nd round pick or two.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Considering he was just signed long term. I don't think they plan on moving him.
    Does he split minutes with Gallo, who for all intents and purposes, was the biggest piece in the Melo trade? Something doesn't add up...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  9. #29
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Does he split minutes with Gallo, who for all intents and purposes, was the biggest piece in the Melo trade? Something doesn't add up...
    I'd love the Raps to somehow add any 2 of Batum, Gay, Mayo and Chandler. I'd gladly give up DD & JJ to accomplish this and hope another wing is added via the draft as well. Kleiza can stick around as the 4th wing.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I'd love the Raps to somehow add any 2 of Batum, Gay, Mayo and Chandler. I'd gladly give up DD & JJ to accomplish this and hope another wing is added via the draft as well. Kleiza can stick around as the 4th wing.
    i think it would have to be a combination of one of batum/mayo and one of gay/chandler. i doubt we can get 2 restricted free agents. but batum/chandler or mayo/chandler would be pretty sweet pickups.

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Does he split minutes with Gallo, who for all intents and purposes, was the biggest piece in the Melo trade? Something doesn't add up...
    Gallo plays pf and he plays sf starting next season...?

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I still can't shake the idea that Denver signed him just to get him back into the league as a tradeable asset. They're paying him a lot of money to be a backup player, especially in light his hip injury.

    I was wondering if he might be a pre-draft target of BC's, using the TPE and a 2nd round pick or two.
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure he was signed as a trade piece for this offseason.
    @jerboat

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Gallo plays pf and he plays sf starting next season...?
    Gallo is gonna play PF in the west?
    @jerboat

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    Gallo plays pf and he plays sf starting next season...?
    Gallo is, and has always been a SF.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Veteran LBF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Hamilton,ON a.k.a. The Hammer!
    Posts
    5,259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Doesn't mean Denver ain't gonna try it.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If I'm Denver, I attempt to get as many minutes for Faried at PF as possible. Which brings me back to my point about Chandler. There just isn't enough minutes at the SF spot to keep both Gallo and Chandler happy. Something's gotta give.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic All-Star wallz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Brunswick
    Posts
    2,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wilson can probably guard most 2's, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went big with him at the 2 once in a while

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,146
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    But then what about Affalo and his big contract?
    @jerboat

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,556
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ujiri is does not know how to give out reasonable contracts. He's got a log jam at the 3 and he over payed for Wilson chandler, whats the point in that?

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
    Wilson can probably guard most 2's, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went big with him at the 2 once in a while
    He started at 2 with the Knicks with Gallo at 3.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •