Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: DD and Jennings

Raptors Republic Starter Raptorsss's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody, you realize that Ilyasova only put up monster numbers because he was in a contract year, right? Normally, he isn't all that much of an improvement over Kleiza. It'd be like us going after Turkoglu again, who had a monster contract year, and after he got paid was terrible.
    -"You canít run from me. I mean, my heart donít bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"ďI ainít no diva! I donít have no blond hair, red hair. Iím Reggie Evans.Ē

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    How do you mean "better?" His results in actual basketball game are worse than both by quite a large margin, take a look at 82games simple rating, Win's Produced or even PER. What makes you say he is better?
    He has more raw talent than both of them combined. No one wants Ilyasova we already have 2 tweeners on this team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    He has more raw talent than both of them combined.
    How do you know that? Do you have a raw-talent-o-scope?

His performance in actual basketball games does not confirm this.

I can agree with Raptorsss in as much as that up until last year Ilysova looked only slightly better than Kleiza, but Kleiza never had a year like Ilysova's last, neither has Turkoglu, and neither ever will.

Dude was elite last year, and sure it was a contract year, but the performance he put in demonstrates a level of play that can't be explained by simply a high level of motivation.

Will DeRozan have a breakout year like Ilysova? Maybe, who knows, but might is not the same as did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    How do you know that? Do you have a raw-talent-o-scope?

His performance in actual basketball games does not confirm this.

I can agree with Raptorsss in as much as that up until last year Ilysova looked only slightly better than Kleiza, but Kleiza never had a year like Ilysova's last, neither has Turkoglu, and neither ever will.

Dude was elite last year, and sure it was a contract year, but the performance he put in demonstrates a level of play that can't be explained by simply a high level of motivation.

Will DeRozan have a breakout year like Ilysova? Maybe, who knows, but might is not the same as did.
    dont make me laugh, Ilyasova is not elite or even close to that

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't get the Ilyasova love either.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I personally don't get the Ilyasova love either.
    Agreed. I see Turk 2.0. BC... stay away... far away!

Off the top of my head, I think Ilyasova and Lin are the two most overrated free agents this season. What scares me, is that I could see BC targeting both of them! yikes!

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind Lin. I think he'll be a good PG one day. There's a lot of Brandon Roy in his game.

But I don't like the idea of overpaying in order to pry him away from New York.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

me either. I say stick with signing Nash or Dragic, Danny green and our 2 draft picks.

Post Thanks / Like

apparently putting up 13 and 9 on a mediocre team is elite all of a sudden

Post Thanks / Like

apparently putting up 13 and 9 on a mediocre team is elite all of a sudden

check his advanced stats.

Post Thanks / Like

Please come to Toronto!! I'm a big fan of BJ(s).

Post Thanks / Like

I like Brandon Jennings, love Demar Derozan.

Only problem for BJ here in Toronto, is the fact he is a ball-dominator. He needs the ball to be effective, which Demar has problems with sometime, but he is getting better.

With the number of guys who need the ball to be effective offensively i.e. Demar, Andrea, Forbes, Calderon, Bayless, Kleiza... It'll be hard to run an offense with everyone standing still, waiting for the ball to swing to them to post up, isolation, and pick-and-roll. A lot of one-on-one or two man game action, which in the NBA is very successful if done well, but the best teams run sets through ball movement and off the ball action. Lakers run their offense at the top of key with Gasol, or down low to Bynum, and movement surrounds. The Spurs have great perimeter ball action, Memphis, Miami, Boston, Philadelphia, Indiana... Very good teams.

BUT, for a counter argument, the teams I know of that are good without great ball movement are Oklahoma City, L.A Clippers, Atlanta, Portland before the blow up...

Post Thanks / Like

......And, with a point guard who is looking to shoot-first, pass second, especially shoot 25-30 shots, the team wouldn't get quality possessions of similarity to Bayless. Early in the shot-clock, out of control, over-dribbling, not great looks at the basket sometimes. Only difference with Jennings he'll score no matter what...

Some may say, the NBA's best point guards are shoot-first, pass second... But, the best point guards also know how to get guys involved. I.e. Derrick Rose, Deron Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about Jenninngs is that he's relied on to score, distribute and do everything on a Milwaukee team that doesn't have a ton of talent. However, I do agree with Reuben in regards to the fact that he takes a lot of ill-advised shots. His shot selection could be better.
    Last edited by MangoKid; Thu May 24th, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Agreed. I see Turk 2.0. BC... stay away... far away!

Off the top of my head, I think Ilyasova and Lin are the two most overrated free agents this season. What scares me, is that I could see BC targeting both of them! yikes!
    I don't see that (re: Ilyasova v. Turkoglu). Their games are not similar. Turkoglu plays more of a point-forward type. He needs the ball in his hands in order to be successful. I mean he said it himself when he did his famous "Ball!" post game-interview with Jack Armstrong a few years ago. Ilyasova is more like a guy that a lot of Raptors fans have been clamouring for for years - Andres Nocioni - he plays hard, he's tough, rebounds well, doesn't need to take a lot of shots or doesn't need the ball in his hands, decent inside-out game and does the little things to help his team be successful. I don't know how Raptors' fans don't want this guy on their team. Provided he doesn't want a boatload of cash, I'd love to have him. And he's only 25.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i really don't want jennings. i think that he will clash with casey big time. watching the bucks if jennings doesn't take a shot twice or three times in a row the next shot is a 3 as soon as he is as close to the line as he can get. if he hits it, the next 2 shots are threes. happens every game.

he has shown he does what he wants and he isn't going to stop that. i think that we are much better off with bayless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I don't see that (re: Ilyasova v. Turkoglu). Their games are not similar. Turkoglu plays more of a point-forward type. He needs the ball in his hands in order to be successful. I mean he said it himself when he did his famous "Ball!" post game-interview with Jack Armstrong a few years ago. Ilyasova is more like a guy that a lot of Raptors fans have been clamouring for for years - Andres Nocioni - he plays hard, he's tough, rebounds well, doesn't need to take a lot of shots or doesn't need the ball in his hands, decent inside-out game and does the little things to help his team be successful. I don't know how Raptors' fans don't want this guy on their team. Provided he doesn't want a boatload of cash, I'd love to have him. And he's only 25.
    what position will he play though? i doubt he can play the 3. PJ3 would have a better 3 than him

Post Thanks / Like

what position will he play though? i doubt he can play the 3. PJ3 would have a better 3 than him
    He plays the 3 and 4 - like Nocioni did. He's the anti-Jones III. He plays hard, gives effort - all the time, he's tough as nails, plays decent D and is a good rebounder. He's a lunch pail kind of guy. The type of guy most Raptors fans love and adore.

Post Thanks / Like

the type of player you need to win championships
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie Demar_8756's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

DeMar and Jennings Straight outta compton NWA in the NBA. This will be nice

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information