View Poll Results: Who do you select for the Raptors out of this group of remaining prospects?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Lamb

16 26.67%
  • Kendall Marshall

8 13.33%
  • Perry Jones III

19 31.67%
  • Tyler Zeller

0 0%
  • Austin Rivers

5 8.33%
  • Damian Lillard

5 8.33%
  • Terrence Jones

2 3.33%
  • Jared Sullinger

1 1.67%
  • John Henson

3 5.00%
  • Terrence Ross

1 1.67%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Breakdown of BC's draft picks in Toronto

Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Breakdown of BC's draft picks in Toronto

We have a pick coming up this year in the 1-10 range, likely 8ish. How much confidence do folks have in Colangelo come draft night?

People love to throw mud at BC and his draft choices it seems ... I personally think some of it is rooted in Raptors draft pains from the Babcock era - and some folks mix in the sentiment. BC didn't lose out on Iggy or Granger ... he drafted well.

Our roster next year will be made up of many key pieces that were BC's draft picks.
    -Jonas, Bargnani, Demar, Ed and our pick this year (hopefully a rotation piece)

And as much as there are always talented players passed up, in all cases there were players in the range we chose that would have been much worse picks. Let's see, by looking at the next 5 players in our pick's 'range':

2006: #1 Andrea Bargnani.
    Then, in order: Lamarcus Aldridge, Adam Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, & Brandon Roy.

Aldridge was a nice pick, but not out of Bargnani's league as a potential all-star PF - or a retired Roy ...

2009: #9 Demar Derozan.
    Then, in order: Brandon Jennings, Terrence Williams, Gerald Henderson, Tyler Hansbrough, & Earl Clark.

Jennings would be cool, but wouldn't necessarily give up Demar for him at this point ...

2010: #13 Ed Davis.
    Then, in order: Patrick Patterson, Larry Sanders, Luke Babbitt, Kevin Seraphin, & Eric Bledsoe.

Sanders can block shots, but is way behind offensively. Bledsoe has shown signs, but still unrefined ...

2011: #5 Jonas Valanciunas.
    Then, in order: Jan Vesely, Bismack Biyombo, Brandon Knight, Kemba Walker, Jimmer Fredette.

Home run! Too early for big judgements on any of these folks - but what we've seen of Jonas since this draft appears to be a player much more developed than this group of rookies, still struggling to pick-up the NBA game ...

So - do you have draft angst towards BC? As a talent evaluator, he seems to outperform his peers in many cases.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to criticize the Bargnani pick. He was a tantalizing prospect at the time. The Derozan pick is more iffy. Guys like Lawson and Holiday went later and might have been more productive but the glaring wing need at the time (and still a glaring need) cried out for help. The Davis pick was fine. That draft was horrible. The JV pick was a good one even if it doesn't work out.

My issue with Colangelo is his approach to team building (i.e. running as fast as possible to stay in the same place) and the poor strategic choices he made in 2006, which he compounded with reactionary moves in later years to fix the problems he created. I would have no issue with Colangelo as the head of player personnel or some such advising a GM. I just want someone else making final decisions.

Post Thanks / Like

Neither Lawson or Holiday weren't being talked about as top ten guys.
    Last edited by Apollo; Fri May 18th, 2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: darn iphone

Post Thanks / Like

Goddammit who voted Henson
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

i voted for the Lambster but would