View Poll Results: Who do you select for the Raptors out of this group of remaining prospects?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeremy Lamb

16 26.67%
  • Kendall Marshall

8 13.33%
  • Perry Jones III

19 31.67%
  • Tyler Zeller

0 0%
  • Austin Rivers

5 8.33%
  • Damian Lillard

5 8.33%
  • Terrence Jones

2 3.33%
  • Jared Sullinger

1 1.67%
  • John Henson

3 5.00%
  • Terrence Ross

1 1.67%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Breakdown of BC's draft picks in Toronto

Raptors Republic Starter jimmie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Game 7 of Mephis against the Clippers, 4th quarter in a close game with all of your season on the line. Rudy Gay produced, in 9 minutes of play: 3 rebounds, 1 turnover and a grand total of 2 fieldgoal attempts, both missed (one even meaningless with 17 seconds to go and trailing by 11).
    BUST!!! Cut the deadweight now!
    Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Game 7 of Mephis against the Clippers, 4th quarter in a close game with all of your season on the line. Rudy Gay produced, in 9 minutes of play: 3 rebounds, 1 turnover and a grand total of 2 fieldgoal attempts, both missed (one even meaningless with 17 seconds to go and trailing by 11).
    A player's usage isn't entirely dependent on the player though. I didn't see the game, but I would think that Gay's underwhelming final 9 minutes was also attributed to who else was demanding the ball (Conley, Gasol, ZBo), and what coach Hollins drew up on the sidelines.

I agree with the idea that Gay should be the guy taking over in close games, but is he always asked to? Who knows.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

What was the strategy of Coach Hollins?

I think Memphis is doomed with both Randolph and Gay.

Randolph is an alpha-dog (borderline selfish player when losing). He demands the ball and said as much very publicly after the series ended. He is also paid near max money.

Gay is paid max money. As long as he is paid max money the expectation among fans is going to be he should be giving max production.

I have no idea what went on in the huddles or what the strategy was but Gay looks to be in a lose-lose situation in Memphis in that if he is option 1, Randolph has a hissy-fit and the fans love Z-Bo but if he is option 2 he is a max player and now a world class bum in the eyes of fans.

Not to mention that the $16.5M that both Gay and Randolph make next year could very easily be used elsewhere in the roster to get a backup PG, back up PF, back up C, three point shooting, and scoring off the bench.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu May 24th, 2012 at 03:53 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    A player's usage isn't entirely dependent on the player though. I didn't see the game, but I would think that Gay's underwhelming final 9 minutes was also attributed to who else was demanding the ball (Conley, Gasol, ZBo), and what coach Hollins drew up on the sidelines.

I agree with the idea that Gay should be the guy taking over in close games, but is he always asked to? Who knows.
    I agree, that's why I didn't give any judgement. I didn't see the game either, but read quite some criticism about this performance (and thus his lack of assertiveness) afterwards (fair or not).