Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If the Raps could re-draft since 2005

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If the Raps could re-draft since 2004

The Indiana post made me think of players we could of potentially drafted. I thought it would be fun to see what 'could of been'. I know that if we had drafted certain players in earlier years we wouldn't have been in the position to draft other players in latter years.
    Also some of our picks were based on position/need rather than talent. So, this is a completely fruitless exercise but meh.

I decided to start with 2004 because the Araujo pick still haunts me at night.

2004 #8 pick - Rafael Araújo (C) -- Andre Igoudala (G/F)

2005 #7 pick - Charlie Villanueva (PF) -- Andrew Bynum (C)
    #16 pick - Joey Graham (G/F) -- Danny Granger (SF)
    #47 pick - Roko Ukić (G) -- Louis Williams (G)
    * we were one pick shy of Monta Ellis and Gortat also went after Roko

2006 #1 pick - Andrea Bargnani (PF/C) -- LaMarcus Aldridge (PF/C)
    #35 pick - P.J. Tucker (F) -- Paul Millsap (PF)

2008 #17 pick traded to Indiana (we know how that turned out)

2009 #9 pick DeMar DeRozan (SG) -- Ty Lawson (PG)
    * very debatable but he impressed me in the play-offs (Jennings and Jrue Holiday other options)

2010 #13 pick Ed Davis (PF) -- Landry Fields (G/F)

2011 #5 pick Jonas Valančiūnas (C) -- Jonas Valančiūnas (C)
    * I'm at the front of the JV badwagon but there are definite stand out that proved their worth this past year Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Kenneth Faried, and Bismack showed flashes of what he is capable of

2012 #8 pick Jeremy Lamb (SG) [watch this be a terrible pick proving hindsight is 20/20]

2012/2013 Lineup

PG Lawson / Williams
    SG Igoudala / Lamb
    SF Granger / Fields
    PF Aldridge / Millsap
    C Bynum / Valančiūnas
    Last edited by connected; Fri May 18th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is if the Raptors draft AI in 2004 then a domino affect happens whereby they probably are not in the same spot in future years.

A lineup of Lawson, Iguodala, Granger, Aldridge, and Bynum (which never would have happened) is not going to be picking Valanciunas last year at #5.

This is a fun exercise but you can do this with any team in the league. The overwhelming majority of times the draft is a roll of the dice with many factors outside of player talent is going to effect performance (coach, environment, teammates, role, opportunities, playing time, off court influences, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like

Matt said what I was thinking as soon as I read the title of the thread. It would be virtually impossible for the Raptors to hit gold each year from 2005-present and always draft in the same position as if they did not hit gold.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rookies....

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Salary cap

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The problem is if the Raptors draft AI in 2004 then a domino affect happens whereby they probably are not in the same spot in future years.

A lineup of Lawson, Iguodala, Granger, Aldridge, and Bynum (which never would have happened) is not going to be picking Valanciunas last year at #5.

This is a fun exercise but you can do this with any team in the league. The overwhelming majority of times the draft is a roll of the dice with many factors outside of player talent is going to effect performance (coach, environment, teammates, role, opportunities, playing time, off court influences, etc.).
    Im salivating...............

Post Thanks / Like

I'd take Jrue over Lawson, personally.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't think it's fruitless. I personally was sitting there on draft night hoping for Iguodala, hoping for Granger, hoping for Aldridge so this is not necessarily 20/20 hindsight but an indictment of some pretty incompetent drafts (mostly Babcock - who set the franchise back a decade)

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote connected wrote: View Post
    PG Lawson / Williams
    SG Igoudala / Lamb
    SF Granger / Fields
    PF Aldridge / Millsap
    C Bynum / Valančiūnas
    It would be fun of course if we had hit gold every time, but not if you have to pay them.

SG Igoudala $14,718,250
    SF Granger $13,058,606
    PF Aldridge $13,000,000
    C Bynum $16,473,002

That's about $57 mil. for 4 players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    It would be fun of course if we had hit gold every time, but not if you have to pay them.

SG Igoudala $14,718,250
    SF Granger $13,058,606
    PF Aldridge $13,000,000
    C Bynum $16,473,002

That's about $57 mil. for 4 players
    And don't forget Millsap at $8M and Williams at $6M - that is $71M for 6 players.

Every player added from here on out is $2 for every $1 - and of course that gets much more punitive starting in 2013-2014.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

But maybe if they all play on the same team, they wouldnt be able to hog the spotlight and would have to share the ball equally which would result in more wins but less gaudy numbers. A crafty GM might be able to keep them in the 10 million range just by saying your 18 points a game are good, not great...

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

woulda coulda shoulda .. We're still the Raptors
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take it personally, but, this is an utter pointless and unfun exercise in futility or something like that.

It's ridiculous. You can have this conversation a thousand different times and it changes absolutely nothing and is pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, true as that may be, that goes for almost everything we say on here. Nothing we say will change any player or management action.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I entirely believe that. I mean don't you figure there is somebody in the organization or close that at least occasionally monitors fan forums, if not, twitter or facebook and that info is ocassionally brought up in meetings.

Even if there isn't, nothing about the future or even the immediate future is set in stone. You could even make an argument about certain things in the near past.

When you are going back years or even a year talking about irrelevant things that happened and was already looked over and done with and forgot about years ago.

What the fuck is the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    I'm not sure I entirely believe that. I mean don't you figure there is somebody in the organization or close that at least occasionally monitors fan forums, if not, twitter or facebook and that info is ocassionally brought up in meetings.

Even if there isn't, nothing about the future or even the immediate future is set in stone. You could even make an argument about certain things in the near past.

When you are going back years or even a year talking about irrelevant things that happened and was already looked over and done with and forgot about years ago.

If you don't think there is a point, just ignore the thread. Btw, I think you are a very brave man, daring to say 'fuck' over and over again (that is, if you're not telling us you have a boner).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LBF wrote: View Post
    LBF, I didn't mean for you to take it personally (or as a cheap shot at the Raptors management).

I honestly did it for fun. I don't anguish over what could of been/ what hasn't happened but just wanted to kill some time during a slow day at work. I was going through the old drafts in the late 90s to see how players turned out.

The 2004 and 2005 drafts had a real possibility of being different and those were pre-Colangelo years anyway. I was praying for Aldridge but there was the Bosh-factor so even though Bargs was a huge gamble I felt excited prior to the season watching highlight vids of AB.

Apollo and Matt reiterated my point that in the later years the draft spot would be completely different had we made a home run selection. Especially the second round picks the odds are insane that we would pick those studs

I have hope for the Raps future. JV baby.

Post Thanks / Like

Darien - good point.

Granger and Igoudala are both good players especially their defence presence but they were both the 'stars' of their respective franchises when payday rolled around.

If they had been on better teams and weren't the #1 options they probably would of been closer to $10 million men.

Bynum is a physical beast so no matter who he played for would of been paid top dollar.
    Last edited by connected; Sun May 20th, 2012 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post

I completely agree - just figured it would be a fluff debate about who we could of picked and who are the better players of people we didnt select Demar vs Jennings vs Holiday vs Lawson... I know, I know, definitely not very constructive for my first post haha

Not to turn it into a negative post but you could also look at it as we haven't struck gold selection in the past 8 years. I think Bargnani was silver, Demar was maybe bronze and Araujo was a rusty pop can.

I really hoping JV will end the succession though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    If you don't think there is a point, just ignore the thread. Btw, I think you are a very brave man, daring to say 'fuck' over and over again (that is, if you're not telling us you have a boner).
    Just following the rules.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information